• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Cat having trouble Defecating and Straining to Pee

DonnaR

VIP Member
Registered
What would you do? Lucy who has acute kidney disease has had what I'll call constipation for the last 2.5 days. She didn't eat much dinner last night, nor interested in eating today. She has been pee-ing, but when she tries to poop - she strains and cries out. A few little pieces of poop might come out the size of peanuts or smaller.
  • Behavior, Energy & Mood, Appetite
    • when she can't poop on her pee pee pad, she searches for other spots in house to go - but not able to poop
    • she's wants to be left alone
    • searching out warm spots
    • purrs when I pet her
    • lets me give her subQ fluids like normal
    • NOT eating today, but was eating well yesterday (raw one meal, canned next meal rotation)
    • she did vomit up dinner last night
    • didn't want dinner last night - no food today
    • drinking water a little
  • TREATMENTS
    • I started with NUX yesterday morning 3-4/day for 2 days
    • gave her GEORGE's ALOE 2x today
    • Pumpkin is in her raw food
  • HISTORY
    • last MONDAY she had her vet checkup and blood test --- all values re: KD have come down a ton (see attached)
    • some STRESS in house from me selling a house with inspection issues to fix - and new property rehab kicked off finding more issues than expected.
    • I'm working alot right now - My biz is "essential" in my city.....she probably feels that
I'm going to traditional vet tomorrow if things don't change

Attachments

• Lucy - 04 09 2020 Blood Test Results from Sango Vet.pdf
    139.6 KB · Views: 2

DonnaR

VIP Member
Registered
I've also been trying REIKI with her - that's all the purring she's doing.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I'm sorry to hear about Lucy's constipation Donna. :confused:

However, great news about her kidney function and the Reiki!:thumbsup:

You definitely want to promote that healing purr.

There are lots of questions like what exactly she does when you try to feed her today? Does she just turn away altogether, does she take a few bites then walk away, have you tried other foods?

What exactly have her stools looked like until now?

Has she had constipation issues before?

Exactly how many mls of subcutaneous fluid is she receiving?

Frequently constipation is related to mild dehydration and improves by increasing the fluids.

You may also want to pause for a day with the Nux dosing to let her body respond by what is called the "counteraction".

Great work with the aloe, keep it going!
Maybe see if she will drink goat's milk or cream.:catfood:

Also, the great Colon Rescue product can often be helpful in these situations:

Yes, please get her to the vet and let us know what they say...

DonnaR

VIP Member
Registered
Thanks Dr. Jeff. Here are some answers to your questions.
I do think she is dehydrated as she has not gotten as much SubQ fluids in last few days - she tells me to stop, I listen. I need to insist more for her good.

SUB-Q fluid is usually 100 mls/day. So maybe she is dehydrated.
  • SUN - <50 mls
  • MON - 100 mls
  • TUE - <50 mls
  • TODAY - just gave her 150 mls
What doe she do when I try to feed her today? she SMELLS, TASTES sometimes - TURNS AWAY, but stays where she is most of time. Sometimes she will get up and go pee or try to poop. I've tried raw, cooked, canned. Each time same routine. I'll try goats milk.

What exactly have her stools looked like until now? They are firm, dark colored, shaped like rabbit poop.

Has she had constipation issues before? Not that I remember

DonnaR

VIP Member
Registered
Lucy drank about 1 tsp of cream, wasn't interested in goat's milk.
Purred with me for a while
Napping again.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Let's see how she does after drinking the cream.

DonnaR

VIP Member
Registered
UPDATE: The VET found Lucy has UTI (urinary tract infection). So has put her on antibiotics and told me to start giving her more subQ and give her cranberry ongoing.

Thanks Dr Jean for link about constipation....I'm sure change in diet had a part to play in this.

I also did some quick studies online and found that Cantharis is great remedy for UTI (giving to her every 30 mins until she's not straining).

@Dr. Christina - could you clarify when to give Cantharis? is it to prevent UTI or to help heal it?

Last edited:

DonnaR

VIP Member
Registered
UPDATE: Lucy did drink some more cream last night w/ her Antibiotic to help prevent vomit. She had no interest in food. Her eyes were still 1/2 shut - not feeling well..........This morning she ate some pureed meat (was not interested in raw at all). She actually gobbled it down before I gave her Antibiotic. She rolled over to expose her belly so I could rub it and purr with wide eyes - she loves that. I did find poop downstairs away from her pee pee pad & she did pee on pad 2x during night. Looks like she is getting back in balance.

D

Dr. Jean

Cranberry's claim to fame is that it prevents bacteria from attaching to the bladder wall. It also has some antioxidant activity. Depending on the supplement, there may be other antioxidants that will also help with inflammation. Most UTIs in cats are sterile, no bacteria, though older cats sometimes do get bacterial involvement. Antibiotics are not usually needed either, but hopefully vet did a microscopic exam of urine and saw bacteria or white blood cells to justify using them.

Two important things for UTI: keep lots of liquid flowing through the system at all times, and reduce stress. Cream is fine, as long as she tolerates it (no diarrhea or constipation, which dairy does to some cats).

Was poop normal looking?

DonnaR

VIP Member
Registered
Hi @Dr. Jean, Lucy's stool has been non existent since antibiotic started. Although last night she did have a firm poop (the size of 1 grape only). She did cry out when she was straining to get it out. I gave her a little cream this morning and found diarrhea at lunch today about 1/4 cups worth, so I think that cleaned her out. So gonna stop that.

At what point do you think an "enema" would be needed?

I'm giving her 100mls SubQ fluids and adding water to her raw and canned food I alternate - no dry -- She is peeing w/o issue.

DonnaR

VIP Member
Registered
SIDE NOTE: @Dr. Jean - I love your website "purring". it is amazingly soothing to listen to.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom