• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Cat Hairballs

LaurenHW

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Romeo
Neutered Male Cat
Shorthair Tuxedo
9yrs old
9.5 pounds
Eats Raw
Indoor/Outdoor

Romeo has suddenly started vomiting hairballs almost daily this past week for the first time ever! Its Summer and very hot, so he’s shedding hair.

I gave him Vasaline once and it did seem to move things through. He refuses to eat it.

I would be happy to find a Cat Hairball Formula that is CLEAN! Any suggestions? No Canola or other bad oils like Soy, Corn, vegetable!

I’m brushing him, but its nit getting enough hair out! Trying to find a comb thats gentle.

Ordering a Silicone Pet Mit! Wiping him daily with a damp cloth.

I’m wondering why this is happening all of a sudden?

thx for any help, greatly appreciated.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Lauren!

Great question about a clean hairball remedy. I don't know of any offhand, but @Dr. Jean Hofve might.

In the past I've used papaya enzymes for helping dissolve hairballs in kitties and bunnies.
I’m wondering why this is happening all of a sudden?
That's a super important question! Without the full context of his history and recent symptoms my best reply is that there has been a shift in his energetic equilibrium. This underlying cause can be addressed with constitutional homeopathy and other energy techniques.

Perhaps see what Dr. Todd has to say as this may be part of a "detox" if you have given any homeopathic medicines int he past few months.

LaurenHW

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Hey Lauren!

Great question about a clean hairball remedy. I don't know of any offhand, but @Dr. Jean Hofve might.

In the past I've used papaya enzymes for helping dissolve hairballs in kitties and bunnies.

That's a super important question! Without the full context of his history and recent symptoms my best reply is that there has been a shift in his energetic equilibrium. This underlying cause can be addressed with constitutional homeopathy and other energy techniques.

Perhaps see what Dr. Todd has to say as this may be part of a "detox" if you have given any homeopathic medicines int he past few months.
Thx Dr Jeff! Dr Jean suggested Vasaline…he refused it after one dose!

Got some hairball paste thats Tuna flavored, a silicone mitt and rotating comb. He let us use the comb & mit and then got upset. Maybe too much to start. Will try again…and do less at once.

When is the best time to give the paste that has petroleum & mineral oil? Between meals?

I cannot reach Todd as he’s been out of the office on vacation! No response.

Only things dofferent are big: Weather turned hotter and booming T Storms/Monsoons and a Bob Cat has been in the area and almost ate Romeo! Do I onagine thats enough to throw Romeo off Balance! It sure scared Me!

Thinking maybe Sulphur again. Its been 2 months and he improved the most with Sulphur!

LaurenHW

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
And my intuition & Romeo’s Angels guided me to Enzyems which I do think may be helping! Thx I always feel better when I hear it from You the Vet! ???

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thinking maybe Sulphur again. Its been 2 months and he improved the most with Sulphur!
Is vomiting hairballs a brand new symptom for him?

If not, then I agree with your intuition.

LaurenHW

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Is vomiting hairballs a brand new symptom for him?

If not, then I agree with your intuition.
Yes hairballs is BRAND NEW the past week, never had one in 9yrs until now.

LaurenHW

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Dr Jeff, do u know the best time to give the hairball medicine/paste? Between meals? How long after a meal?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes hairballs is BRAND NEW the past week, never had one in 9yrs until now.
Then you may want to communicate with Dr. Todd prior to redosing. Romeo's BEAM trends and other symptoms will help you decide about the redose.
Dr Jeff, do u know the best time to give the hairball medicine/paste? Between meals? How long after a meal?
Depending on the frequency that you give it, I typically recommend mid-day between meals. However, some people need to add the hairball stuff to some food to get their kitties to eat it.

LaurenHW

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Then you may want to communicate with Dr. Todd prior to redosing. Romeo's BEAM trends and other symptoms will help you decide about the redose.

Depending on the frequency that you give it, I typically recommend mid-day between meals. However, some people need to add the hairball stuff to some food to get their kitties to eat it.
Thank you! I’m trying to reach Todd. I’ll give the midday a try. Appreciate your guidance. ??

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom