• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Cat food

BettinaT

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi. I have two cats, a boy there are soon 9 years and a girl there just have birthday this Monday, she is now 10 years.

I looking for inspiration and also want to make sure I do my best for them.
I have feed them raw meat the last 2 years now.
They got raw from this company: główna - Original BARF ® Hundermad Naturlig Rigtig

I give turkey, chicken and duck. It's a blend of 70% meat and 30% bones.

I also add vitamin powder from here: Know What You Feed Your Cat - Shop Online

Some times I add a little blueberries (only 2-3 to each cat)

Looking forward to see what you think ?

With best regards, the proud cat mom ??

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
You have a right to be proud because you are not feeding kibble nor canned! Good for you.

There is no one right diet. Often each cat needs something different. One way to know if you are on the right track is observing the cats.

How is each one's BEAM (Behavior, Energy, Appetite, Mood)? Over time, as you fed this diet, have they gotten more energy and happiness?

Do they have any of the Early Warning Signs of Illness?
Like calculus on teeth, little crud or drips from eye corners, fragile or long nails, thirst, vomiting hairballs, etc?

Personally I like to rotate proteins, and for at least some meals, rather than the commercial raw mixture, feed some big hunks they can sink their teeth into - chicken necks or backs, hunk of meat, etc. Some meals could be eggs (raw or cooked) or fish.

Thanks for posting, and you are lucky to have cats who will eat fresh food!!
Dr. Christina

BettinaT

All-Access Member
Registered
You have a right to be proud because you are not feeding kibble nor canned! Good for you.

There is no one right diet. Often each cat needs something different. One way to know if you are on the right track is observing the cats.

How is each one's BEAM (Behavior, Energy, Appetite, Mood)? Over time, as you fed this diet, have they gotten more energy and happiness?

Do they have any of the Early Warning Signs of Illness?
Like calculus on teeth, little crud or drips from eye corners, fragile or long nails, thirst, vomiting hairballs, etc?

Personally I like to rotate proteins, and for at least some meals, rather than the commercial raw mixture, feed some big hunks they can sink their teeth into - chicken necks or backs, hunk of meat, etc. Some meals could be eggs (raw or cooked) or fish.

Thanks for posting, and you are lucky to have cats who will eat fresh food!!
Dr. Christina
Hi Christina, thanks for your answer.

I don't have so much focus and energy (I'm healing myself) , so I don't have check so much on my cats. But they sleep more, maybe because of my routine, I'm not so active.
And my boy have really much tartar on his teeths ( I have made another post about that in here) :)

NicoleA

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi,
I have a question about food. I fed raw food (Primal, mostly) for years to my cat but he stopped eating it one day. I am also not sure if it was the best diet for his constitution because his constipation started when he was eating raw. Someone recommended Just for Dogs (they make one cat recipe) and I am wondering @Dr. Christina if you have heard of this brand and have any thoughts on it? I also started making their food recently ... just a simple recipe w/ ground lamb, chicken liver, pumpkin and supplements/vitamins and they like it so far. I am trying to get away from canned food - both of my kitties love Ziwi Peak (the canned wet food).

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
I really applaud you, Nicole, for starting to make their own food. the transition from thinking we need to make CAT FOOD to trying our best to duplicate mice and birds is right where you are at.

The more variety of ingredients you feed, the less chance there is of a hunger strike of one food. Even for those still feeding commercial canned, raw, dehydrated, etc, it is best to try a wide variety.

I have not heard of Just for Dogs. I would encourage you to just keep feeding fresh ingredients. Only think you need is if you are feeding ground meat, you need a calcium supplement. Remember that egg, fish, dairy, venison, goat, beef rabbit, etc are all fine.

There are a lot of threads in this forum about feeding fresh food.

Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom