• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Boxer with Lung Cancer

GiannaM

All-Access Member
Registered
Name: Tony
Sex: Male/neutered
Breed: Pure-bred boxer
Approximate weight: 75 lbs
BEAM:
-Tony is mostly acting like himself, but I can tell he is uncomfortable when he starts coughing. However he has been a bit clingy. He still is behaving relatively normally.

-I have noticed slight decline in his energy in the last few weeks, he is still playing, just not as frequently. He has been sleeping a lot but I have been encouraging him to relax to keep his breathing and coughing under control. However he still wants to play for a little bit every day.

-his appetite has declined slightly. He sometimes will go a day or two without touching his dog food. Once I learned about his diagnosis, I put him on a homemade diet of grilled salmon, sweet potato, squash, carrots, and broccoli. He’s loving it and eats the whole serving morning and night now. I’m just not sure how much to give him.

-his mood fluctuates. He seems sad and I think it’s because I am sad. I’m trying to stay positive for his sake though. However he still gets so excited when someone walks in the door, is alertly watching the street out the window as always, his tail wags when I talk to him and overall is still himself.

Diet: previously was being fed Natural Balance grain-free salmon and sweet potato dog food. Now I have been feeding him a mixture of homemade grilled salmon, sweet potato, carrots, squash and broccoli for 2 days.

Vaccination history / exposure to toxins, other medication: I’ll have to check with his vet for current vaccination history, but as far as I know Tony has been fully vaccinated. He is not currently on any medications and I am unaware of any exposure to toxins.

Primary problem, when it began and if there was anything else happening around that time: Tony started coughing back in March, which I attributed to his seasonal allergies. I started giving him allergy medicine as instructed by his vet. It got a little better but in early April it came back worse than ever. I took him for chest X-rays once he started coughing up blood, and we found the tumors in his lungs.

Is the condition better or worse from exercise, heat, cold, time of day, certain foods, emotional upset, being touched, excitement, etc: coughing worsens when tony is excited, when he first wakes up in the morning, and in the dry heat.

Has any diagnostic work been done? Diagnosis if available (you can attach your diagnostic tests to the post if you have them): only X-rays so far which I do not have, but he has an appointment with an oncologist on May 4 to get more information.

Current and previous treatment: no current treatment plan. In November 2020 he had a few external tumors removed from his limbs, abdomen, and anus, but biopsy came back as non-malignant.

Other health concerns: finding out if there is cancer in other areas of his body, and helping with his cough.

do you have any advice as to what I can do to keep tony comfortable, boost his immune system in preparation for treatment, and how we can relieve this cough of his?

DD2452A5-8533-441A-B74A-F27DA5295984.jpeg

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Ah, Gianna, what a sweet looking boxer to be struggling with a serious illness.

When any individual is very ill, it is important to begin quickly working with either a TCVM or homeopathic veterinarian. These modalities have the best possible chance of actually stopping the growth of the cancer, can be used along with other treatments, though better if begun before chemotherapy.

As a member you can become a homeopathic client of Dr. Jeff Feinman
Dr. Loops does homeopathic telephone consults and you can learn a lot about cancer from his site.

Other good veterinary homeopaths who work by phone include Drs. Judy Herman, Todd Cooney, and Adriana Sagrera

There is a lot you can do to boost the immune system, from supplements, feeding a fresh food diet, sniff walks that maybe @Dr. Jeff @Dr. Sara @Dr. Sue could suggest.
Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Gianna-

I am so sorry to hear about Tony's diagnosis. :confused:

The good news is that his BEAM is still good. That means his body still has enough vitality to heal (as best it can).

IMHO, the most important thing to do right now is to focus on what he loves to do most which will optimize his happiness and healing.

You might also want to avoid sweet veggies like carrots and sweet potatoes and add more dark green leafy veggies, cruciferous veggies, organ and glands (especially heart and thymus).

Also, starting tracking his resting respiratory rate which is a great semi-objective measure of his lung function and tumor burden.

I agree 100% with Dr. Christina that now is the time to start working with an energetically-based holistic vet trained in homeopathy, TCM, Ayurveda, etc.

Lastly (for now) take a look at the resources from Monday's Happiness Protocol webinar. These same methods help cancers and other dis-eases (not just Lyme, which was the focus of the webinar).

GiannaM

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you for your responses! Dr. Jeff, when is the soonest I can get an appointment with you?

GiannaM

All-Access Member
Registered
Current resting respiratory rate while tony is sleeping is 22 breaths per minute!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Gianna-

Great news about Tony’s normal rrr!

I’ll reach out to you later this am.

GiannaM

All-Access Member
Registered
I just got a call from Tony’s vet suggesting to put him on Hydrocodone to help with his cough while we wait for his May 4 oncologist appointment. I’m not sure I’m too keen on this, but I do want Tony to have some relief from the cough. What are your thoughts on this?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
How often is he coughing?

You may want to try throat coat tea + manuka honey, turmeric, Onco Support (a cancer supplement that can also decrease other symptoms) and homeopathy first.

Especially until we talk this week.

GiannaM

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Dr. Jeff! I got the tea and honey that you suggested. When I put it in a bowl for Tony he won’t go near it. Do you have any suggestions as to how I can feed the tea to him?

also, this week tonys food has consisted of sweet potatoes, carrots, spinach, kale, and grilled salmon. I know you mentioned I should cut out the sweet potato and carrots, what should I use instead to bind it all together? Also where do I get the organs?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Gianna-

Try just the plain honey + water (or low salt chicken broth). How often is Tony coughing now? How's his BEAM?

Amy (my wife and home-cooked dog stew expert) suggests fast cooking organic lentils which break down and bind other food.

Also, canned organic pumpkin, chia (soaked) and ground flax seeds.

Try getting fresh organ meats from your butcher, local farm or one of the many online sources.

I also love and use Dr. Swift's great gland and organ supplements:

GiannaM

All-Access Member
Registered
I’ve noticed that ever since switching Tony’s food his coughing has improved a lot. He still coughs here and there, but it isn’t consistent, and I’m only noticing the hacking of blood maybe once a day, sometimes Less. His BEAM remains really good, however sometimes I notice a higher respiratory rate in the 30s, but then it goes back down to the 20s later on on the day. I have noticed that tony has been radiating a lot of heat. He feels warm to the touch. He is also shedding A LOT, I’m not sure if I should attribute this to the change in weather or if this has something to do with the cancer. I’m excited to meet with the oncologist on Tuesday and I will keep you updated.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great to know Lil. Go Tony!

I look forward to hearing what the oncologist says.

GiannaM

All-Access Member
Registered
Tony saw the Oncologist on Tuesday and here are the results. We had to take a sample of the sarcoma from his pancreas and ever since he hasn’t been eating regularly. Now I have to decide about chemotherapy and I wanted to know what your thoughts were. We do have a call on Monday, I believe at 3:15!

GiannaM

All-Access Member
Registered
I forgot to attach it!

Attachments

• ONC_Discharges_CONSULT_For_Tony_31938.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 1

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Gianna!

Wonderful to read how great Tony was at his oncologist exam!

I'm sorry tho about his pancreatic sarcoma.:(

The good news is that he's not worried about it!

Even before we speak, you may want to add I'm Yunity (a mushroom research proven to help hemangiosarcoma) and Fucopia (a cancer fighting seaweed) to his supplement regimen.

GiannaM

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Dr. Jeff-
It was great talking to you yesterday. I am going to order the ion box today for tony. I’m also looking into the Darwin’s intelligent diet for tony. I see that I might need a prescription for it- are you able to write me one? We are going to start tony on the chemo pills soon, and I will keep you updated. Today he is full of energy, enjoying this beautiful day playing with his friends. I hope you have a great weekend! Talk soon!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Gianna-

I wonder if you've spoken t your oncologist about diet? If you haven't, then you may want to do so since Tony is under their care.

Some oncologists have a very specific idea of what they would or would not want a dog undergoing chemotherapy to eat.

If s/he is fine with whatever you decide to feed, then I will gladly work with Darwin's.

Just download and fill out their prescription form.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom