• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Blood in stools

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
There is no one right way for each cat, just as there is no one right way for each person. Some cats need to eat more than others. Some do fine with bones, others do not.

I would feed just this for the next week to rest the gut. You may want to add in some probiotics.

Then add in 1/4 the amount of bones you fed before and see how that goes.

Then you may try adding some finely pureed vegetables or some vegetable baby food (maybe 5% of diet).

Keep experimenting, try different foods and let us know how things are going.
Dr. Christina

B

Bettina

There is no one right way for each cat, just as there is no one right way for each person. Some cats need to eat more than others. Some do fine with bones, others do not.

I would feed just this for the next week to rest the gut. You may want to add in some probiotics.

Then add in 1/4 the amount of bones you fed before and see how that goes.

Then you may try adding some finely pureed vegetables or some vegetable baby food (maybe 5% of diet).

Keep experimenting, try different foods and let us know how things are going.
Dr. Christina

Just to make sure. I have some foods I have buy before, where there is 70% meat and 30% bones in.
If I will make 200 gram foods, will it be okay to use 140 gram of that food, and then add 40 gram pure meat and 20 gram organs?

Or should i Just give pure meat and organs the next week now?

Deena

All-Access Member
Registered
I live in Danmark.
I have talk with a vet, there says i should avoid bones totally, so just give pure meat and organs and see about the stools get better
Hi Bettina. Short term, it is ok to just feed meat & organs, IMO. This should soften up the stool so you can better judge if the blood is diet related. This could also contribute to a calcium deficiency if done for too long. If your vet does not want you to feed raw bone, would crushed eggshells be ok?
Also, anything to bulk up and add moisture to the stool could help. Slippery Elm Bark and Marshmallow have been mentioned and are excellent. Pumpkin and shredded zucchini are also great and appetizing to many kitties.

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
you may want to start by adding Marshmallow root or slippery elm to the diet for a few weeks to see if the stools are less hard. I agree with Dr. Jeff that the hardness of the stools may cause an irritation of the bowel lining leading to a bit of bleeding.

Be sure you are keeping a journal and recording all these symptoms.

Where do you live?

Dr. Christina
Hello @Dr. Christina - you mentioned marshmallow root quite often and I finally looked into it...what concentration (mg) would you recommend for a small dog (9.2lbs)? Some come in 248mg - 480mg per capsule. How much and often do I give? Please help, as there seems to be much less info on Marshmallow Root than Slippery Elm for respiratory/throat/GI issues. Thank you.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom