• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Best dog diet for bladder stones

MichaelL

Registered
I'm looking for recommendations For the best Diet to feed my 10 year-old male mixed breed Dog Who just had bladder stones removed yesterday. I expressed to my vet I wanted to feed fresh raw Which he seemed open to. He encouraged me to go to balance it.com He says we will talk specifically about diet once we get the results back in 3 weeks or so as to what type of stones they were. In the paperwork he sent me home with Stated I should feed Royal Canin SO For now. I believe fresh raw Food is better but I will do whatever I can to avoid Stones in the future as this experience has been very traumatizing for My beloved dog. I am currently feeding him "We feed raw" For the last 6 weeks Prior to that he was on Generic kibble and royal Canin SO. Curious if there is a better Fresh raw balanced food Company, As there are many to choose from? This is my 1st post ever on this forum. Any feedback is greatly appreciated thank you.

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Hi Michael and welcome, thanks for your first post!

Fresh raw is absolutely best for this! The two main types of stones are struvite (preventable by keeping urine very dilute with added moisture and pH low with animal protein) and calcium oxalate (preventable with very dilute urine and avoiding oxalate-containing vegetables). See chart below. While it mostly applies to cats, I would avoid fish for now just in case your dog is sensitive.

Ditch the dry food if possible, it is dehydrating and puts crystal components close together in the bladder where they can bang into each other and stick, forming new stones.

There are many great diets raw diets out there, others will know more about them for dogs since I mostly work with cats.

Let us know when the stone report comes back and we'll be able to fine tune a little better!

Screen Shot 2024-05-13 at 10.37.21 AM.png

MichaelL

Registered
Thanks doctor Jean for your reply. Doctor does not think they Are stuvite stones, will let you know in a couple of weeks when we get back the results. Have my boy Henry on we feed raw Dog food just ordered from raw wild, wondering if people have opinions of these or other companies that are are better. Thanks, mike

MichaelL

Registered
Henry's bladder stone Results are back, 92% Calcium oxalate and 8% calcium phosphate. Currently have him on Raw wild Dog food. Curious if there is a Balanced raw food diet Design Specifically to Prevent bladder stone formation. Thank you

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Low/no oxalate, very high moisture... keep fluids flowing through kidneys and bladder! That is the #1 preventative for any kind of bladder stones. As the saying goes, "dilution is the solution to pollution!"

Raw is great, that diet looks fine, add extra water or broth.

I don't know of any such specific diet but others might.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom