• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Behavior change in both cats at the same time

JoannC

All-Access Member
Registered
Dr Jeff and Dr Christina, Teddy is doing ok, but I have had to increase his immediate dose of cbd as he is having bouts of high energy almost to the point of becoming overly excited. It has been occurring for about 3 weeks now, with some meowing, pacing, just wild running back and forth, and very clingy. His balance and appetite are great but high energy, it scares me because I am afraid he will excite himself into a seizure.

I am working with Dr Judy on this, but the one odd occurance is that over 2 months ago I found I had in the unfinished part of the basement some mouse activity. I caught up to almost 4, that I drove them out 5 miles and released them, and found in the lowered ceiling at 2 different times small mice dead? I don’t have any poison around but I did have a guy come in and change out insulation, and try to put steel wool around places they might be coming in, it very cold here. I don’t know why they died?

That is about the time that both Timmy and Teddy began staying under my bed, and both are under there most of the day. At first I thought Teddy was I’ll and hiding out there as I have a few cat beds under my bed but it’s both of them staying under there for their daytime naps. Teddy comes out in the evening to lie on the couch with me because he has become very clingy, and Timmy is still under there u til later in the evening. There are no traces of mice poop so they are not coming upstairs and so far no further activity.

My question is can weather change affect behavior, or could this mouse activity because this is a definite change for them both. Very odd. Have you ever heard of 2 cats changing where they nap during the day and doing this change together? It may be nothing but it is odd. Thank you.

D

Dr. Jean

Hi, hope you don't mind if I jump in here!

Let's start with the mice. They could easily have been poisoned elsewhere, then died where you found them. However, the symptoms of rodenticide poisoning are not what your cats are showing

Weather and the change of seasons can definitely cause behavior changes. The Winter Solstice affects many animals (and people!) for 2-3 weeks on either side.

You might also have a look around your neighborhood to see if there's any unusual activity, like construction, roof repair, road work, etc. that the cats could be hearing or smelling. I had 2 cats who, in a new house, mostly hung out in the closet. When we moved to a less populated area, they were both out and about like normal. I realized that the previous house was on a snow route and was also used by paramedics, police and fire personnel coming and going from 2 nearby hospitals. I didn't notice the frequent sirens, but evidently the cats did! Your cats might have been responding to something like this that has ended now, but they have settled into their new routine and don't want to change back.

Maybe consider using flower essences like Walnut (for changes), Wild Rose (stay in the present moment), Chicory (clingy) and Rescue Remedy, to help them cope with whatever is going on. Essences are very safe and won't interfere with any other holistic modalities.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

JoannC

All-Access Member
Registered
Dr Jean, Thank you! This makes so much sense! If I use flower essences can I use it as aromatherapy? For example brew, a few drops of oil in water so the smell is in the house?

Teddy is on daily phosphorus and I and his homeopathic vet are trying to fine tune the phosphorus because he had started to have a few incidences where he was circleing to the left for a few seconds like 5 times within 2 weeks, and when in a deep sleep is awakened by what I can describe like a electrical jolt inside of him. He then goes right back to sleep but seems to be puzzled why it occurred. This happens not every night when he is on the couch with me and I hope it does not happened during the night. The change in phosphorus dosing is helping him , circling has stopped and paw movement when sleeping too. He is on cbd and very low dose of phenobarbital ( 4mg 2x a day). Any thoughts though would be appreciated if you ever heard of this type of thing.

I think you are right, the Winter Solstice is what caused the change because it happened to both of them. They both feel safe and comfortable there. They are coming out more and it has been almost 3 weeks now. Very interesting! Thank you so much!

D

Dr. Jean

Hi again, sorry for the slow reply! Flower essences are not in oil, just water, and there is no scent. They are more like homeopathy than aromatherapy, but very gentle. Easiest is to put 2 drops of each essence into a 1-oz dropper bottle with spring water (4 drops of Rescue Remedy). Use the combo in food, water, or even just put a couple of drops on your fingers and massage head, ears, and paws. To treat the environment, just put a few drops of your essence combination solution into a spray bottle and spritz around the house.

The twitching *could* be a seizure disorder, which is why the phenobarbital. Also consider adding taurine to their food. Taurine has some very interesting properties and is known to help with seizures. It is very safe even at high doses. I usually start around 125 mg per cat per day. Maybe a pinch of B vitamin complex too; they are involved in nerve conduction. Give B's in the morning as they can have a somewhat stimulating effect, which you probably don't want at 3AM! :)

Glad to hear they're doing better!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom