• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Barking and fear of other dogs

FrancesC

Registered
Harpo 5 yrs, male. Neutered.
weight: 6.5 pounds
No vaccinations except Rabies shot and heart guard.
Born with liver shunt, surgery at 5 months.
Meds: heart guard shot every six months.
Loves attention and people. Loves to bark mainly at other dogs- protective like.
BEAM is good.

Bernadette
, female 11 years, spayed.
weight: 6.5 pounds
Heath issues: hemolytic anemia.No vaccines after her issue with hemolytic anemia in 2012. Torn ACL- when on a walk she is in a dog stroller. Meds: gallaprant for ACL, Heart guard
BEAM is good.
Bernadette does not do well around other dogs. She will bark like crazy and also around strangers.
Very protective of her people and of Harpo. Will often start the barking to get Harpo going, who only follows her lead.

Both dogs have trazodone as needed but have not used except during fireworks.

Harpo picked up on Bernadette's bad habit. I have taken Harpo on walks on his own, he expects to be carried and will put the brakes on if we try and walk him. So he is often carried a portion of the way then will walk home to hurry and see Bernadette.

They both do well with the mobile groomer. And they do well with each other and the immediate family or people they feel comfortable with.

Last two nights they have had restless sleep, keeping the entire household up. The only thing I changed up was giving then canned food past two days, though I did add in Nobl dog food.
Both dogs follow me around the house and will not rest unless I remain in one room.

I cannot take them on walks, stressful for us, yet Bernadette will lose it and will bite and become somewhat psycho while in stroller. Both dogs sense dogs ahead and will bark non stop.
We cannot talk to the neighbors when the dogs are with us and neighbors turn the other way if they see us coming :( Very sad and frustrating.
This barking and attitude increased a lot when we moved from the west coast to the east.

Question: What can I do to help my dogs or give to them that is safe, to prevent such aggressive/ anxiety they express? Thank you.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Frances!

I'm sorry to hear about the pup's lifestyle challenges.
What can I do to help my dogs or give to them that is safe, to prevent such aggressive/ anxiety they express?
Is there anything they love to do or eat? For example, the snuffle mat, freeze dried hearts, etc.

I ask because these things that help activate cellular joy can also help them through their challenges.

You may also want to try a few virtual sessions with super smart trainers like Sarah Hodgson or @Irith Bloom.

@Dr. Christina or @Dr. Jean Hofve may have specific flower essence recommendations for you.

Also, strongly consider working with a vet homeopath or TCVM vet if you're not already doing so.

FrancesC

Registered
Hey Frances!

I'm sorry to hear about the pup's lifestyle challenges.

Is there anything they love to do or eat? For example, the snuffle mat, freeze dried hearts, etc.

I ask because these things that help activate cellular joy can also help them through their challenges.

You may also want to try a few virtual sessions with super smart trainers like Sarah Hodgson or @Irith Bloom.

@Dr. Christina or @Dr. Jean Hofve may have specific flower essence recommendations for you.

Also, strongly consider working with a vet homeopath or TCVM vet if you're not already doing so.

Thank you for the information. I have yet to call the holistic vet that Dr Christina recommended in my area. We have the snuffle mats and they love those. I may need to pull those out daily. We have had sessions with a couple different dog trainers, both varying in methods though similar, and what we tried over a period of had not worked. There are some. Ideas they did suggest that we continue to implement and they work well when it comes to strangers entering our homes.Shall look into Sarah Hodgson. I have yet to look into flower essences...and I had been meaning to listen to the past pre-recoded event for this information . Thank you again :)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Frances!

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian

FrancesC

Registered

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe