• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Baby Canines remaining

TashaG

Community Member
Registered
Our 7 month puppy still has his baby canines in place on the top. The adult canines have grown in next to them. Our mainstream vet says they want to take them out asap and at the same time as neutering to avoid any potential difficulties. There’s no sign of any problem at the moment but I’ve read they must be removed to prevent other problems. We brush them every day. We were hoping some chewing on bones might help but he doesn’t use the canines for this - he uses his molars. So any suggestions for anything that might help them to come out? Also we don't want him neutered but he has a retained testicle so if that doesn’t resolve he’ll need surgery for that at by 12 months we’re told. He’s already had two general anaesthics recently for a nasty abscess, now resolved and recovered, so I’m reluctant for another general so soon and so young. (His BEAM is fantastic. His diet is 75% raw, all home fresh food.). Any thoughts on how best to proceed with the canines would be great. Ie is it best to get it done now even though that means another GA or is it ok to wait a while longer and could it resolve itself or wait til he is going to have surgery for the retained testicle so its less GAs? Thanks so much in advance.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Tasha-

As you know from our chat, my experience is that his canines may still come out on their own but would love to hear what @Dr. Christina @Dr. Sara @Dr. Jean @Dr. Sue @VeroniqueM and/or @Dr. Beth say about this.

When's your vet homeopathy appointment coming up? Activating your pup's natural healing ability might be helpful for both the retained teeth and testicle.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
I'll stick my foot in here to say that I have seen and heard of good results through homeopathic treatment, with retained testicles:) Well, teeth, too. Stimulating the system to proceed naturally...

It also might be possible to vasectomize him rather than neuter, and leave the exposed testicle to function if they must take the other one.

Dr. Sara

VIP Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Dear Tasha,
A canine dentist could show you pictures and x-rays illustrating how retained baby teeth adversely affect the health and alignment of the permanent teeth.
Once the permanent teeth begin to erupt, the baby teeth should fall out on their own.
The retained teeth should be removed as soon as you can manage. I understand your concern about anesthesia; fortunately general anesthesia is quite safe today.

Homeopathic treatment can certainly help developmental problems. I would not wait too long on the teeth, though, as you don't want the permanent teeth to be damaged.
You can wait on the retained testicle; they rarely cause any problems (abnormal hormone production, tumor development) until the dog is well into adulthood. The retained testicle can be removed and the other testicle vasectomized if you would like the pup to retain the benefit of male hormones.
Regards,
Dr. Sara

VeroniqueM

VIP Member
Registered
Hello Tasha,

If your veterinary homeopathic appointment is coming up soon, you might want to give homeopathy a little time to act before making your final decision. If it helps for the retained baby teeth and retained testicle, that would be great. But even if the baby teeth and retained testicle remain the same, I still think your dog will benefit from the homeopathic treatment as I think he will be better balanced energetically before going through the next general anesthesia to remove the retained baby teeth.

Your veterinary homeopath will also be able to make suggestions tailored to your dog to support him homeopathically through the procedure.

Indeed, retained baby teeth can adversely affect the adult teeth, yet I've also seen some baby canines fall naturally closer to 8 months of age.

If you are greatly concerned about multiple anesthesias, there is always the option to remove the retained testicle before 12 months at the same as the retained teeth if they don't fall naturally. And as previously mentioned, the other testicle can be vasectomized instead of being removed. General anesthesias are quite safe nowadays, but each one comes with a certain amount of stress on the body.

Kind regards,

Dr Véronique Messier

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Internally retained testicles are very prone to becoming cancerous, so it should definitely be removed. I would also remove the deciduous canines as they are affecting the positioning and functionality of the adult teeth right now. I didn't see his breed mentioned, but this is especially important in smaller breeds and brachycephlic (short-nosed) dogs. Timing-wise, I'd say soonest on the teeth, and by 12 months on the testicle. I have used high-potency homeopathic Rhododendron for retained testicles with about 75% success, but as always with homeopathy, it's best to take the full case to find the best, most precise remedy.

TashaG

Community Member
Registered
Internally retained testicles are very prone to becoming cancerous, so it should definitely be removed. I would also remove the deciduous canines as they are affecting the positioning and functionality of the adult teeth right now. I didn't see his breed mentioned, but this is especially important in smaller breeds and brachycephlic (short-nosed) dogs. Timing-wise, I'd say soonest on the teeth, and by 12 months on the testicle. I have used high-potency homeopathic Rhododendron for retained testicles with about 75% success, but as always with homeopathy, it's best to take the full case to find the best, most precise remedy.
many thanks for the input

TashaG

Community Member
Registered
Hello Tasha,

If your veterinary homeopathic appointment is coming up soon, you might want to give homeopathy a little time to act before making your final decision. If it helps for the retained baby teeth and retained testicle, that would be great. But even if the baby teeth and retained testicle remain the same, I still think your dog will benefit from the homeopathic treatment as I think he will be better balanced energetically before going through the next general anesthesia to remove the retained baby teeth.

Your veterinary homeopath will also be able to make suggestions tailored to your dog to support him homeopathically through the procedure.

Indeed, retained baby teeth can adversely affect the adult teeth, yet I've also seen some baby canines fall naturally closer to 8 months of age.

If you are greatly concerned about multiple anesthesias, there is always the option to remove the retained testicle before 12 months at the same as the retained teeth if they don't fall naturally. And as previously mentioned, the other testicle can be vasectomized instead of being removed. General anesthesias are quite safe nowadays, but each one comes with a certain amount of stress on the body.

Kind regards,

Dr Véronique Messier
Thanks so much for the advice.
Hello Tasha,

Kind regards,

Dr Véronique Messier
Dear Tasha,
A canine dentist could show you pictures and x-rays illustrating how retained baby teeth adversely affect the health and alignment of the permanent teeth.
Once the permanent teeth begin to erupt, the baby teeth should fall out on their own.
The retained teeth should be removed as soon as you can manage. I understand your concern about anesthesia; fortunately general anesthesia is quite safe today.

Homeopathic treatment can certainly help developmental problems. I would not wait too long on the teeth, though, as you don't want the permanent teeth to be damaged.
You can wait on the retained testicle; they rarely cause any problems (abnormal hormone production, tumor development) until the dog is well into adulthood. The retained testicle can be removed and the other testicle vasectomized if you would like the pup to retain the benefit of male hormones.
Regards,
Dr. Sara
thanks Dr Sara

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom