• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Avocados

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Yes.

Even though many sites say they are toxic.
There is even a commercial dog food (not my recommendation, of course) called AVOderm, made from avocados.
Feed just the pulp and you are fine.

Many tropical dogs even eat the skin and pit, but there may be some problems with that. Dr. Christina

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
I'd say yes. No pits, of course, or skin, but the flesh is fine. A good source of some nice fatty acids. That said, I'ver never encountered a dog who craved it, but you never know. Mine acts pretty disappointed when a mouthful of my salad turns out to be avocado instead of, say, hard boiled egg, chicken or cheese.

I found a lot of weird and incorrect info in a cursory online search; some folks just HAVE to say something, out of a sense of their own importance.

I eat a lot of them, and we cook with avocado oil, since it holds up well in high heat. Yuji, not so much...

DayshaG

Community Member
Registered
Yes.

Even though many sites say they are toxic.
There is even a commercial dog food (not my recommendation, of course) called AVOderm, made from avocados.
Feed just the pulp and you are fine.

Many tropical dogs even eat the skin and pit, but there may be some problems with that. Dr. Christina
@Dr. Christina interested about what your opinion is about cats and avacados. Bella used to LOOOVVVEEEE having some avacado when I cut one up. Then I read it was toxic. I recall a previous vet saying a little wouldn't hurt but then I read something somewhere else that is was very toxic so I stopped.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom