• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Aspiration/wheezing when I give my cat liquid supplements

NicoleA

All-Access Member
Registered
I give my cat liquid supplements via a syringe and once in a while he starts wheezing and coughing - very scary. I don't know if this is serious. I try to inject the syringe in the side of his mouth and give him the liquid slowly - it is a small amount. Does anyone know what might be happening? Thanks.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Probably not serious. How often does it occur? Does his BEAM worsen?

If the wheezing/coughing starts right aft syringing then he may be choking a bit on the liquid.

Since you give the supplements slowly, this should be OK.

NicoleA

All-Access Member
Registered
Probably not serious. How often does it occur? Does his BEAM worsen?

If the wheezing/coughing starts right aft syringing then he may be choking a bit on the liquid.

Since you give the supplements slowly, this should be OK.
Thank you! Yes, it begins right after I give him the liquid. His BEAM seems to be the same after, but when he is wheezing and coughing I get so worried - I give him a little water w/ the syringe and it seems to help. It has happened a handful of times since I started giving him liquid supplements from NHV Natural Pets in May.

EdwinA

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Nicole.

My cat got a cough once around the time I was giving him liquid supplements - so I switched to making up little capsules instead, which go down nicely with a coating of butter, no liquid needed. I think it’s best not to risk liquid going down the wrong way!

As long as the coughing has gone off and isn’t persisting, I’m sure he’s fine - but if he tends to inhale a bit, maybe liquid supps aren’t the best for him.

We were actually so worried about the coughing we took him to the vet. The vet said he was fine and there was nothing in his lungs - but if the coughing goes on, you could get it checked to be safe and make sure he hasn’t inhaled into his lungs.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Sounds as if you got some OK advice...If you want to give liquid, could you squeeze the syringe slowly into the rear lower jaw, out of the way of his aspiration reflex? Or mix it with a bit of milk or cream, something he likes...

NicoleA

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you @EdwinA ! Yes, the cough never lasts thankfully but it makes me nervous when it's happening - that's a good idea re the butter. :)

NicoleA

All-Access Member
Registered
Sounds as if you got some OK advice...If you want to give liquid, could you squeeze the syringe slowly into the rear lower jaw, out of the way of his aspiration reflex? Or mix it with a bit of milk or cream, something he likes...
Thanks @GinnyW - I wonder if it is ok to mix the herbal liquid supplements with cream - I'll have to check but that's a good idea.

JoannC

All-Access Member
Registered
Ginny, I have to give my kitty some liquid supplement and learned through trial and error that the plastic syringes are only good for a 2 or 3 use.

Also I filled the syringe with water and noticed that unconsciously I was not using the plunger at a steady rate when giving him the fluids, that is what makes him choke on it. Try to fill your syringe and really notice that the slightest change in pressure on that plunger squirts the liquid in faster and harder, and with usage you have to use a bit more pressure and that is what might your kitty choke. Hope this helps.

NicoleA

All-Access Member
Registered
Ginny, I have to give my kitty some liquid supplement and learned through trial and error that the plastic syringes are only good for a 2 or 3 use.

Also I filled the syringe with water and noticed that unconsciously I was not using the plunger at a steady rate when giving him the fluids, that is what makes him choke on it. Try to fill your syringe and really notice that the slightest change in pressure on that plunger squirts the liquid in faster and harder, and with usage you have to use a bit more pressure and that is what might your kitty choke. Hope this helps.
Thank you! @JoannC - I didn't realize the plastic syringes are only good for a few usages. I have been using the same 2 for a while..

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Oral dosing syringes typically last more than 2 uses.

Primarily because they don't have the soft rubber piece that degrades with neutralization/washing between doses.

JoannC

All-Access Member
Registered
Dr Jeff where can I buy some because I can only get the ones with the rubber piece in the syringe part. Thank you.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Most local pharmacies carry oral dosing syringes.

NicoleA

All-Access Member
Registered
Oral dosing syringes typically last more than 2 uses.

Primarily because they don't have the soft rubber piece that degrades with neutralization/washing between doses.
Ah got it - the ones I have don't have the rubber.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom