• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Arsenicum remedy helps diarrhea but causes dog to bark like crazy

Betty

All-Access Member
Registered
Louis the shih tzu has issues with being able to tolerate different foods in his diet. Whenever I try to add a different protein (even slowly) he gets diarrhea and he is up all night long. This has been going on the last several nights. I changed his food back to plain organic turkey chop meat with a spoon of pumpkin. I dosed arsenicum 30c water sniff both nights so he could sleep and be comfortable. I've done this in the past and for some reason, it increases his desire to bark at anything outdoors. I can't block the windows so that's not an option. I find it an disturbing side effect and wonder if anyone has a thought on how to calm him down.
His appetite & energy is good. He is not resting after being up most of the night.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Betty,
I would be thinking that Ars alb is a close remedy, but not the best match. I would include the new symptom of barking with the diarrhea with least change of foods and ALL other symptoms he has ever had. you may need to work with a vet homeopath.

Dr. Christina

Betty

All-Access Member
Registered
Betty,
I would be thinking that Ars alb is a close remedy, but not the best match. I would include the new symptom of barking with the diarrhea with least change of foods and ALL other symptoms he has ever had. you may need to work with a vet homeopath.

Dr. Christina
Thank you Dr. Christina,
Dr. Jeff is our homeopathic veterinarian and has been with us for over 30 years :)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Betty!

Sorry about Louie's diarrhea, and yes, the symptom shift after Ars dosing may be a useful clue.

What happens after you've dosed with Nux in similar situations (diarrhea triggered by a change in diet)?

Betty

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Betty!

Sorry about Louie's diarrhea, and yes, the symptom shift after Ars dosing may be a useful clue.

What happens after you've dosed with Nux in similar situations (diarrhea triggered by a change in diet)?
I haven't tried nux as of yet. No diarrhea last night so that's a good thing. The other interesting thing is he was drinking a lot of water, more than usual the day before the diarrhea incident. Would you suggest the nux if this happens again?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Possibly, but perhaps see first how he does in the next few days.

Betty

All-Access Member
Registered
Possibly, but perhaps see first how he does in the next few days.
So, Louis poops improved for a couple of weeks but now he is back to having very soft formed stool with mucus/blood on and off since July 2nd. His beam is good. I gave him a q tip water dose of nux vomica 30 c on July 5th with little improvement. His barking did increase with his energy which increased with nux. Do you have any suggestions on supplements that may help reset his gut? I haven't changed his food recently. Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great news that his poops improved after Nux.

Maybe give him a few more days to respond to the Nux and decide what to do on Sun/Mon?

Betty

All-Access Member
Registered
Great news that his poops improved after Nux.

Maybe give him a few more days to respond to the Nux and decide what to do on Sun/Mon?
The nux vomica gave Louis energy, but he still has soft stool with bloody mucus. So no real improvement with bowel movements. He wakes up several times overnight to do his business, but doesn't really poop during the day except for early morning after his breakfast. I do not want to re dose because his barking increases dramatically. I am giving him saccharomyces boulardii & slippery elm. He's just eating plain organic turkey chop meat with some rice and I will add some pumpkin in today.

What are your thoughts?
thank you

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

Betty

All-Access Member
Registered
His body is guiding us to a new remedy.

Do you know what is triggering him to bark?
Yes, any animal, bird, chipmunk, squirrel or person who is outdoors. He seems to be very prey driven, even on walks. But doesn't bark at the birds/squirrels when we walk, only out the window at home.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom