• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Are added minerals in a pet's diet OK?

JillR

Registered
Hello, our added minerals and vitamins a bad thing in your opinion? The raw dog food that I had been using is made of 95% pork and bison mix and 5% pumpkin. But upon looking at it, it has added minerals and I was just wondering your opinion on that? It is limited ingredient in my dog has digestive issues so I didn't want to go with something like small batch because they have added ingredients and some of their products. I have purchased the beef hearts and they have been wonderful as far as flatulence and she adapted to them well. Thank you

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
added minerals and vitamins a bad thing in your opinion?
No! Especially if they're from a good source (food).
I have purchased the beef hearts and they have been wonderful as far as flatulence and she adapted to them well.
Wonderful!

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Minerals may be fine - do as you are good at doing - watch for changes in BEAM and stool.

Let's see if we can get @Dr. Sue in on this. She also does virtual nutritional testing and healing.
Dr. Christina

JillR

Registered
No! Especially if they're from a good source (food).

Wonderful!
How do I know if the added minerals are from food? Because they ingredients are: pork, bison heart, pumpkin, pork marrow and bone, taurine, zinc amino acid complex, vitamin E supplement, calcium carbonate, manganese amino acid complex, copper amino acid complex, zinc sulfate, calcium pantoneate, copper sulfate, manganese sulfate, vitamin a supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, calcium iodate, riboflavin supplement.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great question Jill! AAFCO and food expert @Dr. Jean Hofve is best able to answer it.

I love the ingredients (heart and bone marrow!) of this diet!

If it is non-HPP then I'd say the source of the minerals (which sound like they may be synthetic and added separately in this diet) is fine.

Which food is this?

JillR

Registered
Tuckers raw pork and bison. I would prefer to go with a company where I knew how they sourced their meat such as small batch as you suggested. As I said, the beef hearts have been working great but they're other product has a few ingredients and I like to add ingredients one at a time because my dog has digestive issues.
What do you think of their bones, they're raw bones? I know that you gave me the name of another company, I will check that out.
There is another brand called Badland Ranch that has multiple ingredients but I saw a video for it and I believe they use dehydration to cook their food but again there were multiple vegetables in that and I have to just keep it simple with my dog.

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Commercial pet food really can't be made entirely from whole foods, meet AAFCO nutrient profiles, and not cost a fortune. So there will (and should) be added vitamins and minerals for the food to meet those rather minimal guarantees.

Our pets' ancestors (and current wild cousins) ate whole prey, including the blood, glands, and organs, which are a major source of nutrients, but are missing in the human meat supply. The minerals in this food are mostly chelated, which is good. Some are not, but probably they are needed to meet the standards. If the bones are raw and ground finely, they are safe and healthy.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
What do you think of their bones, they're raw bones?
Raw bones are usually fine to eat but may need to be fed under supervision to prevent exuberant chewing and swallowing of big chunks.

I don't know the source of Tucker's meat or bones, but will see what I can find.

JillR

Registered
Raw bones are usually fine to eat but may need to be fed under supervision to prevent exuberant chewing and swallowing of big chunks.

I don't know the source of Tucker's meat or bones, but will see what I can find.
Okay thank you I meant small batch bones? You recommended a site for bones I think it was called meaty bones or something I have to look back in my notes.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, the Small Batch bones are very finely ground and an important part of the diet.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Ground bones are important for minerals, big hunks of bones (chicken, turkey necks, for example) or big hunks of meat are important for dental health. If feeding a raw diet with adequate Calcium, you may want to stick with the meat chunks as regular treats. Also, for the front incisors, it is good to offer a BIG bone with cartilage and meat attached so they can gnaw on it (not try to eat that big bone) to let those teeth stay strong and do the job nature intended.

Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom