• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Any Recommendations For A Raw Cat Food Cats Love?

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Hi everyone - We have been fostering Suki, a cat who was living in a small feral colony by our factory. My husband and I have a chronic condition: we're foster failures. So, as you might imagine now knowing this, Suki has made a nice home for herself right here. :) As such, I am looking to transition her onto a raw diet. I tried Answers for cats but she doesn't like. She seems to gravitate towards fish and away from meat, so not sure what that offers us.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Maybe there's a meat-based raw cats going gaga over or one that also offers fish?

Thanks!

Jody

Suki Outdoors.jpg

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi @JodyMY I don't know anything about cats, sorry! I just wanted to comment on how beautiful Suki is!

oh..and LOL on your "Chronic condition" statement LOL :p

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
I'd be trying tiny bits of anything: people food, bits of meat, fish, cheese, eggs both raw and cooked, canned sardines, stew, soup - heck, mac 'n'cheese. No point in buying a roll of something. Got any friends with cats who could share a taste? It doesn't matter what, as long as you can encourage eating, firstly, and variety secondly. Fine tune later, when trust and interest are higher, perhaps.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, she's gorgeous!

My older kitty who also won't eat Answer's is transitioning via a 1:1 mix of high quality canned and Vital Cat (rabbit) or Smallbatch (turkey).

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Yes, she's gorgeous!

My older kitty who also won't eat Answer's is transitioning via a 1:1 mix of high quality canned and Vital Cat (rabbit) or Smallbatch (turkey).
She’s purty and very sweet. She’s baking bread (kneading the dough in a couch cover she loves) next to me now, purring away. Ah, the life of a pampered pet!

I’ll check put vital cat. Am familiar with smallbatch for doggies but not cats so will check that out. thank you! Right now, I've been feeding her Weruva canned and some Origin dry.

Since I posted, I went on Raw Feeding Miami, where I get the dogs food from (check them out; they’ve got incredible stuff), and ordered various kinds of raw fish whole and raw salmon mash, which I’ll try with Suki.

looking for a foundation food for raw feeding for cats to add to this.

Also, did I tell you about Safe Sea premium fatty acids? A beautiful product. Has ahiflower oil, SDA, GLA, green lipped mussel oil, astaxanthin, in extra virgin olive oil.

Last edited:

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
There's a company called Smalls for Smalls that makes a good-looking (ingredient-wise) cat food. *My* cat of course would not touch it, though he is getting a litlte better about trying new things over time.

Honestly, I don't recommend fish for cats in general, and I don't recommend raw fish for any critter. Much as I love sushi and sashimi, even I don't eat it any more. The way our food supply is treated has finally made me (perhaps overly) paranoid about parasites. Maybe someone can talk me out of it because I sure miss sushi!

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
There's a company called Smalls for Smalls that makes a good-looking (ingredient-wise) cat food. *My* cat of course would not touch it, though he is getting a litlte better about trying new things over time.

Honestly, I don't recommend fish for cats in general, and I don't recommend raw fish for any critter. Much as I love sushi and sashimi, even I don't eat it any more. The way our food supply is treated has finally made me (perhaps overly) paranoid about parasites. Maybe someone can talk me out of it because I sure miss sushi!
Thanks for the recommend. Sounds like you have a "royal" cat, too. We have 3 princesses and 1 prince over here and it's exhausting being their lady maid. :)

Hmm...so I should cancel the fish part of my order, you think. I totally hear you. Sashimi is the ONLY reason i'm not vegetarian or vegan yet. I still love it. I took DE for years every morning and that made me feel better that I had something on the front lines slicing and dicing those nasty critters, but you never know. Is a cat's GI tract less acidic than a dog's? Are they more susceptible to those kinds of parasites? Let me know what you think.

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Cats are a bit more acidic than dogs, and freezing does kill some of the worst parasites, but it isn't just that. I've found that many cats are sensitive to fish and will develop urinary tract issues, even from top quality fish. My three cats shared a halibut steak with me, two of them got UTIs and the male was so bad he blocked. Literally overnight. So I definitely shy away from fish for cats. Just too many issues for me.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom