• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Adequan

LilF

Community Member
Registered
@GinnyW I took JJ for his 3rd shot on saturday and talked to the vet. The morning of the shot he had eaten his breakfast like a house on fire. I did hand feed him. So he did get the 3rd shot. Since then he has eaten every meal so guess I will continue with them. I have been unable to evaluate improvements in his mobility for sure but I do think he is better than he was a few months ago when he was limping and walking even slower. I am giving him the Trixsyn and on the second bottle already. I have been insistent that he get significant time in the sun outside. I feel it keeps him alert and stimulated and better for his cognition. If he had not eaten the morning of the 3rd shot I don't know if I would have given it to him. If he had followed the same pattern of not eating after the shot I may not have continued. But he is eating well the last 2 days. I just wish I could get supplements into him besides the HA. I feel curcumin and some joint supplement with perna mussel and other joint supportive ingredients such as in Vetri Disc that he used to take. He is getting the Mercola collagen also which he likes

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Wonderful news! Yes, there are far more nifty supplements out there than anyone can take every day. I have that problem, too, with both myself and Yuji. One approach is to not feed everything every day, but to vary the program. Some days I just feed a hunk of meaty bone, with nothing else except his daily thyroid. Other days he'll get HA, collagen, Connectin, tooth powder, krill AND fish oil, astaxanthin, lutein, etc. He'd be grossly obese if I fed enough to get all those down each day. I'd think that for him, the heavy-duty joint stuff is most important - the HA and collagen - and that the more "supportive" supps could be added in as you can. You are both doing great:)

LilF

Community Member
Registered
JJ has had 7 Adequan shots and goes for his 8th on saturday. I don't see that they helped. Is that unusual? Maybe he would have been worse but don't see a noticeable improvement. Disappointing. We are still using the Trixsyn but anything else he spits out for the most part

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Bummer!

No, it's not extremely unusual.

Effect of Adequan can be slow.

Perhaps finish up the series then check back with your vet (and us) after that.

Depending on the individual's exposomic response and biochemical changes, it may still be a week or two until you see the full effect.

Sometimes we don't fully appreciate the response unless there is worsening after stopping the injections.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Hi Lil-

How often Adequan is given depends (on individual susceptibility to the Adequan). I've had homeopathy patients who only needed a few injections/year to keep them happy and active (which is the bottom line). And some, like Ginny's pups, have done fine on Trixsyn HA.

When homeopathy is not used, I believe it is common to give injections every 4-6 weeks in moderate-severe cases of spondylosis and arthritis.
@Dr. Jeff
JJ got an adequan shot today. He finished up the series on May 22nd. He was going to get one weekly. Is that too much? should I do only once a month. He goes to the conventional vet for these. I thought the holistic vet said something like one a week for a couple weeks then one every two weeks for a few and then once a month. I don't know that I remember exactly...

Also is it ok to give him Cosequin DS at the same time. He did seem to respond to that. Cosequin DS is 500 mg Glucosamine, 400 mg Chondroitin. per tablet and the initiation period is for 2 tabs of those per day for 4 weeks.

Thanks!!

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
The ingredients in Cosequin are nutriceuticals, not drugs, and can be given in any amount any time without conflict. These two ingredients are contained in a lot of patent products for both humans and canines, and, of course, are in many nutritious foods as well.

My first dog had a multitude of orthopedic issues, starting way before I treated him homeopathically. Somewhere in there early on he was given Adequan by his ortho surgeon, at a similar schedule - a couple close together, and then one a month or so. We started homeopathy a bit later - I just found the lovely "welcome letter" from Dr. Jeff in my old files yesterday:) - and if I recall, he was still getting the occasional Adequan shot. There was nothing else similar on the market then - no orals, although Cosequin was about the first to show up. You may certainly use it at the same time, as it provides a daily dietary backup of these nutrients - there may be no comparison between uptake through the digestion and direct injection, however.

I don't see any conflict with homeopathy, except this: when symptoms are eased with Adequan, any remedy which might resonate with and thus alleviate said symptoms might not have an effect, at least not an observable effect useful to the practitioner. That's a reason to do just one at a time. If you're going to do Adequan, I'd let it work - it can be very helpful in quality of life. You can always do homeopathy when you have a "clear" space later.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
@GinnyW Hey Ginny, thanks so much for the detailed explanation and experience. How do I know if he is in pain. He walks slow and stiff, except like today the one dog barked at something outside and he ran up the steps faster than his usual klunking to see what was going on. I should post a video but when he sees me taking his picture he stops. I am giving him curcumin, boswellia and now the cosequin and adequan. He has been getting acupuncture every 3 weeks too. I wish I knew if he was in pain. My holistic vet said that he is very stoic. He really is a survivor with a will of steel. Sometimes when she is putting the needles in a pain response is elicited. So I don't know what to think.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Lil, and thanks so much Ginny for sharing your thoughts and experience. ?

He was going to get one weekly. Is that too much? should I do only once a month. He goes to the conventional vet for these. I thought the holistic vet said something like one a week for a couple weeks then one every two weeks for a few and then once a month. I don't know that I remember exactly...

Also is it ok to give him Cosequin DS at the same time. He did seem to respond to that. Cosequin DS is 500 mg Glucosamine, 400 mg Chondroitin. per tablet and the initiation period is for 2 tabs of those per day for 4 weeks.
1. No, once weekly is not too much if that's what it takes to keep him comfortable. Yes, 1-2 injections/month are more commonly given.

However, the more you need to (based on his apparent discomfort and mobility) give it, the greater the chance that it is palliating the symptom.

If indeed keeping him comfortable and mobile is your HMDM Goal 1, then weekly or as needed, is fine.

2. Yes, as Ginny said, there is no conflict with the Cosequin.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom