• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

4 year old dog with Lyme nephritis

LindaAK

Community Member
Registered
Ella Mae

4 year old female
Mixed breed – 47 lbs.

BEAM: low energy, low appetite, moves slowly, not agitated, mostly comfortable

Diet – only interested in chicken, salmon, peanut butter treats

All standard vaccines but not kennel cough
Medications: prednisone, mlodipine, telmisartan, clopidogrel, cerenia, mix of chinese herbs, rapamycin, phos-bind, some homeopathy

Problem was detected about a month ago, nothing usual happened at that time

Ella is very stoic so it’s hard to know if she is in pain. She has the best appetite in the mornings. She spends most of her time lying down, seems reasonably comfortable, occasionally breathes fast, drinks a lot of water, walks like she is a much older dog, sometimes looks like she is in pain when she lowers herself to the floor.

Subcutaneous fluid administered.

Attachments

• Ella (1).pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 4

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Linda!

I'm super sorry about Ella's Lyme nephritis. :(

Welcome to HA! and thanks for making your first post. You'll find many like-minded and supportive pet parents here on the forum and webinars.

Speaking of which, one of the strategies which I didn't mention yesterday when we spoke is the "Happy Dance". You can do this by putting on earbuds and playing the music that makes you the happiest. And by having Ella nearby, you'll be "sharing" your happy vibrations with her.

Along with the other ways to help her be happy this can be super effective. I mention it in the context of the webinars because the next one on 4/1 is about the Happy Dance and Laughter Yoga.

The best part is that you can even start today with the 10-10;30pm free online LY class. It's super silly (the goal of class is to play and be happy as a 4 year old!), but is also very healing and ends with a 10 minute LY singing and dancing party that many pets love!

If you'd like to come, I'll find the link.

In the meantime focus on letting her sniff, be outside, and anything that brings her joy.

@Dr. Jean Hofve, do you have any other advice?

@Dr. Leisl do you have any self-care advice?

BTW-Linda, do you know Ella's Lyme quantitative C6?

LindaAK

Community Member
Registered
Dr. Jeff, thank you for your kind note. The C6 antibody test was positive. By the way, Ella's BEAM is noticeably better today. Her legs aren't shaking, she took a much longer walk today, has a better appetite, and wagged her tail a little:) I spent a lot of time massaging her, which I think she really enjoyed. I got a lot from our call, and feel inspired by the sniff walks, varying her diet, and sharing happy vibes with her. Thank you. We gave her some cordyceps and homeopathy, otherwise everything else is the same. Thanks for your support!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Linda!
BEAM is noticeably better today
Yay!!

BTW-The quantitative C6 will be a specific number (the positive test is the screening test which then gets followed up by the quant.).

I ask because this will be one way of evaluating the success of the immune stimulation she is getting from all the great things you're doing for her happiness and the energetic positive mindset stuff.

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Gosh Linda, welcome, you and Ella have a lot on your plate!

We don't have Lyme where I live so no advice there, but that long list of meds and herbs does make me a little twitchy. I would be concerned about drug-herb interactions, and wonder which ones are necessary and which are just complicating things. If you're working with Dr. Jeff perhaps you can work on paring down the list.

Not that I would advocate adding anything else, but for most pets with kidney issues, Standard Process Renafood is my favorite supplement; it's a great detox-er and supports function in many ways.

I'm glad she's feeling a little better, keeping spirits up for both of you is the most important thing!

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Love to hear an update on Ella - so glad she was already better.
I wanted to clarify - are you working with a homeopathic veterinarian or are you selecting the remedies on your own?

Also, if you are not, when there is so much going on it can help to track symptoms in the Healthy Dog Journal.

Dr. Christina

LindaAK

Community Member
Registered
Thank you for your support, Dr. Christina, Dr. Jean and Dr. Jeff. I am attaching lab reports we just received, along with the vet's summary and plan. She does Chinese Medicine and acupuncture but not homeopathy. We did our own research and have been giving her arsenicum album and cantharis for about a week. Her BEAM is noticeably stronger over the course of the past week, but obviously she has some serious problems. Any comments about the vet's analysis and plan would be appreciated!

Thank you!
Linda

Attachments

• Ella-8002.pdf
    14.3 KB · Views: 3
  • ELLA-KRECH-2024-03-28-1632.pdf
    335.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
I love her peeking through the flowers - great example of happiness outside.
Dr, Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom