• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

13 year old cat with Thyroid Issue and Low Appetite

ShaunaK

Registered
Hi everyone,

My 13 year old fur baby Sophie has hyperthyroidism and a very small appetite.
She is on her daily methimazole and I'm considering the radioactive iodine therapy.
Thoughts?
Also, - can you suggest good wet food thats healthy and tasty and will help her gain weight?
The vet suggested Hills Prescription Diet but that has corn flour in it and some other weird looking stuff.

Thank you!
Shauna

@Dr. Jeff @Dr. Christina @Dr. Jean Hofve

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Shauna!
hyperthyroidism and a very small appetite.
Might that have started along with the methimazole (which can decrease appetite)?
She is on her daily methimazole and I'm considering the radioactive iodine therapy.
Thoughts?
I use homeopathy, vital nutrition and if needed, methimazole, for kitties challenged by hyperthyroidism.
Also, - can you suggest good wet food thats healthy and tasty and will help her gain weight?
No food will work unless she is eating enough. Maybe try Weruva canned or Small Batch lightly cooked.

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
If her appetite has decreased, then this may be too much methimazole, or it may be uncovering kidney problems which can affect appetite. What are her blood levels? I would give it a good six months before considering iodine (if, as Dr. Jeff says, at all). I do not recommend the Hill's y/d. Here is a basic article about hyperthyroidism: Feline Hyperthyroidism | Little Big Cat - Dr. Jean Hofve

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom