• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Ällergies"

ckraham

Community Member
Registered
One of my dogs was recommended to have a food and environmental allergy panel because the hair between his parts and at the point of elbows is red (he is a fawn colored dog). He does not scratch or lick or sneeze or have watery eyes...just really the red hair. I had the test done where a hair sample is used and was shocked to find out he is allergic to almost all meat except chicken, turkey (he hates), and venison. Many outside allergens (was suggested I wipe his feet when he goes indoors...a young, athletic Afghan that digs and plays and is in and out about fifty times a day...not practical). Also allergic to pet dander so was suggested to bathe every 3-4 weeks (he is actually bathed weekly because otherwise the long hair will mat, he is in show coat). And cotton, which is the only thing I can wear. So I am a bit perplexed. I have always thought that allergies were a sign the immune system is not functioning as it should, or is overactive, so feeling like there should be a way I can address this with supplements, maybe homeopathy (??) etc. I am also wondering of allergies are a sign of leaky gut...I know the Dogs Naturally people have a leaky gut/yeast protocol. I am pretty sure that if I test myself I will also be allergic to lots of things, but because of the red paws I do see that as a warning sign that something is not right.
This dog was heavily vaccinated as a puppy (breeder started at five weeks old...old school breeder...), so he ended up with at least four doses of puppy vax. He has also had two rabies shots (this is the dog that was overdue and vaccinated at the time I brought him in for the test), had surgery (so drugs) for a broken and accessed baby tooth as a young puppy (maybe eight or ten weeks old max), spent a night in the ER at under four months old for suspect wild mushroom ingestion (so was also on liver protecting IV overnight), and just had a surgical procedure to remove a retained testicle (this would not have added to the toxin overload since the hair sample was taken before both this and the second rabies vx, but I mention it in case the internal heat from the retained testicle in his abdomen could have been a contributing factor as well).

Any ideas or insights appreciated. I can certainly try to work with most of the foods that he is not allergic to according to this panel, but I would ultimately like to reduce his sensitivity to so many things and support the immune system.

Love to hear from anyone else who has a dog who has taken this test.

Thanks much and happy new year, Cassandra

ckraham

Community Member
Registered
PS: I have used quercetin for my own itching...is it considered a cure for allergies, or does it just alleviate symptoms? I also just read that Standard Process has a supplement for allergies, though no longer have an account with standard processes would need to order from someone...

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Cassandra-

Happy New Year!

Great questions and I'd love to know exactly which hair allergy test you did. I ask because blood allergy tests are notoriously unreliable, especially for food, and I m not aware o any that are reliable that test using hair.

The gold standard for food allergy testing is still the elimination diet that you can learn more about from reliable sources online and by talking to your vet.

Yes, avoiding potential allergen triggers, like pollens from being outside, is great. However, as you said, it's not practical to be cleaning his feet 50X/day.

My own approach would be to look at the symptom in the overall context of his quality of life/BEAM and the immune imbalance that we know he has (allergies result from an imbalanced reactivity of the immune system).

As you well know, there are many strategies to help re-balance his immune function to thereby decrease his sensitivity to pollen and food triggers (and other potential triggers like dust mites, fleas, yeast, etc.).

If you are working with a science-based holistically-oriented vet, they should be able to discuss this approach further with you.

You and I can also discuss this during one of your HMDM guidance calls.

No, quercetin doesnt cure allergies.

It's great support for his immune function and may help his body re-balance (and get rid of the foot staining or other allergy symptoms).

Cure occurs when his body is in balance.

ckraham

Community Member
Registered
Thank you Dr Jeff. It is a 5Strands test. I have noticed that many of the things he is allergic to are things he has been exposed to or has eaten. Many things he has not eaten, or much of, not allergic to. Not 100%.

I really wish to reverse this.

Acupuncture helped another dog with allergies immensely.

I will not give in to this...will get him back into balance. I am wondering if the retained testicle had anything to do with it...it alone must have been creating a lot of heat...and in the abdomen...

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
For a sec. forget about the physiology of the retained testicle Cassandra.

Do you think the testicle and allergies are somehow related?

If so, how?

ckraham

Community Member
Registered
I am not sure...only that maybe it's location in the stomach was causing stagnation/an interruption of the flow of energy? It is interesting that I was just brushing him out and the elbows are much less red. I would think the hair would have to grow out or shed out to change color but it surely does look less red than before...
He also has been getting less beef, since I ran out of food from my regular distributor...though eating lots of things on the allergy list in the interim.

But maybe beef was the big one. Hope not, as he loves it.

I did have another dog that was allergic to beef as a youngster and I ended up linking it to her having so many bully sticks. Over time she could easily eat beef.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Just parenthetically, allergic reactions often result from the residue in the prey animal's body of poor diet - for instance, with feedlot beef, grain-fed chickens, etc. So you may be able to later test him with some better quality beef....

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom