• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

What to do for this particular health challenge? (Through diet)

ChristyM

All-Access Member
Registered
Cooper is a Male, Neutered Pomeranian. He is 9 years old, but turns 10 May 28th of this month. His current weight is 14.9 Ibs. This is the largest he has ever been. Always stayed in between 11-12 pounds.

He is due for his Rabies Vaccination (3 years) 8/1/2021 and Canine DA2PP2L (Annual) 8/1/2021

I have to comment here that he has experienced slight seizures that seem to be painful and doesn't last long. Has them every now and then. Sometimes can go a full year without one, so their is no pattern involved. I noticed he started experiencing these after his vaccinated shots during his puppy years. I've seen where they've been full body or either his left or right side become affected and it can affect his walking.

His diet in his young years and as a puppy was small (Blue brand) dry food, but I always would make it softer with water (2x a day); treats on occasion, but not a lot. About two years ago (he was 8), he had an episode one night of laying really still and his breathing was off as if he was in pain; he felt stiff and didn't move. I had contributed it to maybe being one of his seizure moments, but it lasted all night long up till morning. I took him to the doctor that morning, they did a full work up on him and couldn't find anything. By that point, it had passed; whatever it may have been, but I am guessing it was a seizure. It was the longest one he has ever had. I decided to incorporate Medical Medium (Anthony William) information for his diet. Started feeding him raw dehydrated food by honest kitchen (2x a day) (Chicken)- he seemed to love it; with mashed bananas, apples, wild blueberries with 3 drops of Zinc, little bit of Vitamin C, little bit of barley grass (drizzled with some honey), and a few drops of B-12 in the late afternoon. Within two years he seemed to be okay with this diet. Only thing that was a question is when I did his dental during this time his white blood cell count was slightly low?

Fast forward to last year (2020), Cooper seemed like he was in pain, couldn't stand up long on his hind legs or sit comfortably for long periods of time, seemed off in his demeanor, wasn't interested in his food. Took him to the vet, found out that his L3,5,6 had eroded cartilage (thinning of lubrication), he got shots and medicine for this through my Acupuncturist vet (tui na massage with essential oils, aquapuncture). She said in the future that this will lead him to be paralyzed. At first it seemed to work, however the pills she gave me didn't and after a while the acupuncture effect didn't last long. I decided to no longer go further with the pills she sent me home with or the acupuncture and decided to put him on glucosamine (premium blend) by Best Paw, stick with raw food (even tried raw beef, seemed to like it at first with no issues, but then didn't- he loved the raw marrow bones though, which I gave as a whole one with flesh on the outside and the full marrow on the inside. This was fed every night, but maybe two times out of the week or 3. He seemed to be stable on this diet and the pain seemed to have subsided. He had his off days still, but also stays interested in playing and being Cooper. I forgot to mention I also put him on CBD oil (150mg). On occasion when I noticed he had an off day (in pain).

I also forgot to mention here that we went on a road trip to Arkansas in 2019 and Cooper seemed to experience panting at night specifically. This was his very first traveling trip. Cooper seems to have extreme anxiety when he is out and about or knows he will be going to the doctor. However, when I took him to the doctor up there for it, they couldn't find anything wrong and said it was anxiety related. However, up until this point (now) he still pants at night. Or sometimes during the day.

Just recently, I took him to go receive his dental prophylaxis and wanted some x-rays for a check up on his spine and an over all general check up. This was 4/23/2021. It turned out that his pre-surgical blood work was extremely lipemic, taking into consideration that his blood work was done the day before and he ate his raw dehydrated food about an hour ago to two hours. Everything was completely off scale with electrolytes being severely out of range, hepatic enzymes high and cholesterol extremely elevated. They needed to rerun the results and do a second sample of his blood work because they couldn't believe the results. They aborted surgery for the following day for his teeth. However, his heart murmur changed from a grade 1-2/6 mitral to a 2-3/6 mitral murmur. Cooper within the past month has experienced distention after eating...stomach is a bit hard and bloated, but eases within the night and is fine the next day. Has increased his water intake, but no other visible signs of pain or discomfort. Nor in his behavior. Turned out he had an UTI, his very first one. Had a bit of blood in it. His x-ray showed spondylitis deformans L3-L4, L/S veterbrae, mild cardiomegaly and IMO hepatomegaly.

My concern is his liver being enlarged and just his overall health. I am getting his dental cleaning done as I write this to you. My vet opted for me to do an abdominal ultrasound and get a liver biopsy. However, this is too severe I believe especially for his age. I believe I can control this through his diet. But I don't know where to begin. They also want to test for cushing's disease. I rather seek a second opinion on where to go from here. I hope I provided enough information for such a short amount of time for introduction. I've attached his recent report of blood work and his x-ray report.

So grateful to be here. Looking forward to speaking with you and getting some direction for this little guy. Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Christy

Attachments

• cooper moore radiology report.pdf
    108.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 21036051.pdf
    34.3 KB · Views: 1

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for you awe-some first post Christy! I'm sorry to hear about Cooper's health challenges. Getting his weight back down to 11-12 will help many of his issues.

My concern is his liver being enlarged and just his overall health.
Oh, don't worry too much Christy. The liver enlargement may be secondary to n endocrinopathy (like Cushing's) and resolve with weight loss,
I am getting his dental cleaning done as I write this to you. My vet opted for me to do an abdominal ultrasound and get a liver biopsy. However, this is too severe I believe especially for his age.
The non-invasive diagnostics (ultrasound) would be helpful. I agree about the invasive biopsy.
I believe I can control this through his diet.
Yes! Diet is key.
But I don't know where to begin. They also want to test for cushing's disease. I rather seek a second opinion on where to go from here. I hope I provided enough information for such a short amount of time for introduction. I've attached his recent report of blood work and his x-ray report.

The info you gave us was perfect Christy.

I look forward to talking tomorrow.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Also, you may want to promote weight loss by using a meat-based diet (raw is ideal) without as many carbohydrates as in the Honest Kitchen.

ChristyM

All-Access Member
Registered
Okay, this sounds like a plan (raw diet). I just need help to be guided into what to feed specifically and when throughout his day with supplements if needed. Thank you so much for your response back. Looking forward to speaking with you this afternoon.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Christy, even before we talk you might want to head over to the member resource area at the website (not the forum) and take a quick read of the food section of the Holistic Fun-damentals course.

This section of the course has lots of ideas, recipes, videos, etc.

We'll discuss any of your specific questions in ~20 minutes!

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
I don't want to overcomplicate things right now, but generally the best way to switch to raw is to just do it. Principles I follow involve few if any vegetables, no grains, supplements given with a meal - and feeding (gasp) once a day or even less:) Along with some amount of the varied ground mixes available, I favor feeding chunks of meat and bone, appropriately sized for the dog, which provide great exercise, satisfaction, and the stimulation of stomach acids and enzymes. Let's see how we can work some of those into what you and Dr. Jeff find important for his specific condition.

ChristyM

All-Access Member
Registered
Christy, even before we talk you might want to head over to the member resource area at the website (not the forum) and take a quick read of the food section of the Holistic Fun-damentals course.

This section of the course has lots of ideas, recipes, videos, etc.

We'll discuss any of your specific questions in ~20 minutes!
Thank you again Dr. Jeff, it was so lovely to speak with you today. I will definitely go deeper into the resources offered on the website. Thanks for being here and helping me and Cooper. :)

ChristyM

All-Access Member
Registered
I don't want to overcomplicate things right now, but generally the best way to switch to raw is to just do it. Principles I follow involve few if any vegetables, no grains, supplements given with a meal - and feeding (gasp) once a day or even less:) Along with some amount of the varied ground mixes available, I favor feeding chunks of meat and bone, appropriately sized for the dog, which provide great exercise, satisfaction, and the stimulation of stomach acids and enzymes. Let's see how we can work some of those into what you and Dr. Jeff find important for his specific condition.
Thank you Ginny. I have gone raw with him before, but stopped. Because Cooper can be picky at times. He loves his chicken (raw dehydrated from Honest Kitchen). And when I started with raw beef, some mornings he would eat and other times not and would prefer the Honest Kitchen, so, I just went back to Honest Kitchen. I will start with raw (fresh meat) once again as Dr. Jeff stated this would be best since Honest Kitchen can be high in carbs. Less carbs as well for Cooper. I was feeding him too many veggies.
He does enjoy his raw bones, however I was letting him consume too much for his size. So, all in moderation at this point and of course what little Cooper is communicating for me to do in what he wants.
Thanks for your time and response.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom