• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Fresh Food Feeding Recipes

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I am starting this thread to make Amy's recipes available as soon as she makes them.

Here's tonight's Chicken-Quinoa stew:

1 Organic Chicken Breast

1 cup Organic Broccoli

1 cup Wild Blueberries

1/2 cup Organic Lentils

1/2 cup Organic Rainbow Quinoa

Add sufficient water or organic chicken broth to cover the ingredients.

Slow cook for 6 hours or Instant Pot for 20 minutes

Even picky pets will love this recipe (which is chock full of antioxidants and phytonutrients).

I hope your pets enjoy this yummy food as much as Vanya (my pup) did!

Dr. Jeff

J

Jean Garner

I am trying to find more homemade recipe and/or ingredient ideas for my 14-15 lb Jack Russell Terrier dog, Rascal, who is 11 and has a small liver. Looking for substitutions for any part of the recipe.
Here is my current recipe, give or take some of the fruits and veggies. Measurements are rough:
1.5-2 cooked organic chicken breasts (or equivalent in turkey tenderloin)
1/2 cup or so low fat cottage cheese or plain yogurt
1/2 cup or so cooked sweet potato or pumpkin
Green beans
Wild blueberries/apple
Spinach
1/2c-1c water as needed

Blended and topped with Stella & Chewy's Dehydrated Chicken Blend, plus some probiotic and Phytofoods supplements

Thanks for any recipe ideas or feedback!

B

Bettina

Can I find recipe on cat foods some places? I want to know what to stick to, because Im sick and don't have so much energy and focus, and I have look at different sites for raw feed, but there are so much different it says, so I'm confused.

I live in Denmark so i can't buy food from The Honest Kitchen. They don't send to here.

Dana

All-Access Member
Registered
the protein in these recipes is cooked... isn't it better to feed it raw??

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, thank you for asking Dana!:thumbsup:⚡

Why is raw better than cooked?

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Jean, while recipies are fine, it is even better to think about feeding dogs and cats the way you feed yourself. Have a list of great ingredients, then make meals from what you are eating, with changes for what is best for a dog (often raw, big pieces with bones, pureed vegetables, organs) and for you food that supports the liver. For that you may want to read about Chinese food therapy - 1. Schwartz - Four Paws, 5 directions and 2. Basko - Fresh Food and Ancient Wisdom.

The crock pot recipies are great, especially when you know you have a busy day coming.
Dr. Christina

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Bettina,
One of the benefits of living in Denmark is that they are not using some very bad ingredients (see 11 Banned Foods Americans Should Stop Eating) hat we see in the USA.

You can safely purchase ingredients from the grocery store.

Step one may take a little extra energy from you. Offer tiny amounts different meats, fish (especially canned sardines and small fish), organs, eggs, dairy (butter, milk, cream, yogurt, keifer, etc) to see what your cat likes.

Step two: One option for feeding is to spend a few hours making a big batch and freezing in 3-5 day containers. Another is to just purchase what you have discovered your cat likes that you are eating, and put down the meats for your cat to eat.

An example is a friend of mine with 10 cats. She would feed one whole chicken leg or thigh (skin, bone, muscle) to each cat, once a day for 3-4 days. Then she would feed a mixture of ground beef with some supplements and eggs for one meal.

Often looking for "recipies" can be very confusing as many individuals are trying to replace canned or dry ingredients with fresh ones. And feeding one recipe daily is still limiting the amino acids. You would not be as healthy eating solely the same organic meal every day.

I like Dr. Becker's book - Real food for Healthy dogs and Cats - as she gives you both recipes and a variety of ingredients to work with.

Please keep posting on the forum for guidance. Maybe you could start a new thread labeled cat nutrition.

Dr. Christina

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Dana and Bettina-

Yes, more bio-active nutrients but especially more Vitality!

Bettina- as long as you supplement with nutrients like taurine or use a raw food supplement designed for cats, you can use any of the recipes that you find here including the great one that Jean posted earlier in this thread.

Click/tap here for a few others:

You can also lots more info in the intro. course.

LynseyR

All-Access Member
Registered
Bettina,
One of the benefits of living in Denmark is that they are not using some very bad ingredients (see 11 Banned Foods Americans Should Stop Eating) hat we see in the USA.

You can safely purchase ingredients from the grocery store.

Step one may take a little extra energy from you. Offer tiny amounts different meats, fish (especially canned sardines and small fish), organs, eggs, dairy (butter, milk, cream, yogurt, keifer, etc) to see what your cat likes.

Step two: One option for feeding is to spend a few hours making a big batch and freezing in 3-5 day containers. Another is to just purchase what you have discovered your cat likes that you are eating, and put down the meats for your cat to eat.

An example is a friend of mine with 10 cats. She would feed one whole chicken leg or thigh (skin, bone, muscle) to each cat, once a day for 3-4 days. Then she would feed a mixture of ground beef with some supplements and eggs for one meal.

Often looking for "recipies" can be very confusing as many individuals are trying to replace canned or dry ingredients with fresh ones. And feeding one recipe daily is still limiting the amino acids. You would not be as healthy eating solely the same organic meal every day.

I like Dr. Becker's book - Real food for Healthy dogs and Cats - as she gives you both recipes and a variety of ingredients to work with.

Please keep posting on the forum for guidance. Maybe you could start a new thread labeled cat nutrition.

Dr. Christina

Hi Dr. Christina, I joined holistic actions for several reasons but most specifically to hear exactly what you state in this post. I'm currently weaning my dogs off kibble and I love the idea of varied well rounded diets as opposed to the same home cooked meal every day. Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Fantastic, thanks so much Bettina, @LynseyR and @Dr. Christina!

This thread is the perfect place to post these recent videos that Amy made of biscuit and veggie dog stew food prep.

NicoleA

All-Access Member
Registered
I am starting this thread to make Amy's recipes available as soon as she makes them.

Here's tonight's Chicken-Quinoa stew:

1 Organic Chicken Breast

1 cup Organic Broccoli

1 cup Wild Blueberries

1/2 cup Organic Lentils

1/2 cup Organic Rainbow Quinoa

Add sufficient water or organic chicken broth to cover the ingredients.

Slow cook for 6 hours or Instant Pot for 20 minutes

Even picky pets will love this recipe (which is chock full of antioxidants and phytonutrients).

I hope your pets enjoy this yummy food as much as Vanya (my pup) did!

Dr. Jeff
Hi @Dr. Jeff , Is this recipe for cats as well?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes (if Jespa eats it)!

However, since most recipes are not complete and balanced, it is meant to be used as part of the dietary variety.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom