• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Violent Sneezing in my dog

KellyB

VIP Member
Registered
Hi All, my dog, Kismet, has been having some issues for the past week or so. Yesterday, she started with some very violent sneezing as if she had some type of obstruction and her BEAM has been on and off for the last week with the exception of her appetite. I've written a summary for my holistic vet whom we are going to see tomorrow, so I'll copy it here. Thanks for any suggestions!

This past weekend and Monday at lunch time she had a few episodes of “reverse sneezing” or collapsed trachea. A couple of those episodes got bad because she was in another room and it was several seconds before I realized what was going on. If I don’t distract her right away, then she panics because she can’t breathe and the episodes are harder to stop. Her tongue actually was turning blue a couple of times. Then yesterday she had very violent regular sneezing episode when she poked her head out of the covers in the morning. It was almost as if she had a foreign body in her nostril(s). She continued to sneeze little bits here and there all day long after that and had another bad episode of sneezing last night. Each time she sneezes, even the small ones, she has a lot of big water droplets come out of her nose. I haven’t seen any blood. We have gone for walks through the local cemetery – I have not been watching for foxtails.

Yesterday when I came home from work, she was shaking. I’m not sure if it was from being in pain? I tried taking her temperature and it was 100.1, though I’m not sure if my thermometer is working properly as it may need a new battery, so I’m not sure how reliable that is. I turned up the heat and we took a walk outside where she did her business with no issues and walked about half a block before she decided she wanted to go in, but it was quite windy and cold out. She ate her dinner and was happy to do so. She seems more content after she eats.

After the second sneezing episode last night, I gave her some Natrum Muriaticum 30C about ½ oz of water (2 pellets dissolved in about 1 oz of water) and that seemed to help calm her down. She did well until about 4 a.m. when she started sniffling and shaking again, so I repeated the Nat Mur and again it calmed her down. She did her business when I took her out and ate her breakfast and again was happy to do so, as well as get her treats in her snuffle mat before I left for work. I gave her another dose of the Nat Mur at about 7:15 this morning. She was shaking again when I got home for lunch today, so I gave her more of the Nat Mur and added some Bioplasma to it as well. Did her business fine outside, ate her lunch and was very excited and demanding to get her treats before I left. Still sneezing through and some more aggressive sneezes outside. Overall, her BEAM is low, with the exception of the appetite.

We did have an exposure to lawn fertilizer on the sidewalk on one of our nightly walks – I can’t remember if it was last week or the week before, but we had walked through it before I realized what it was. I soaked Kismet’s feet in betadine solution for a good 15 minutes when we got home and gave her ½ BHI Body Pure Cleansing tablet for detox and she seemed fine and so I kind of forgot all about it.

We also started a new protocol through Animalbiome for the oral microbiome on 5/2/20. I swabbed her gums (upper and lower separately) and placed in a vial provided and then started a powder to put in her drinking water called TEEF that is supposed to help the oral microbiome and dental health. Then after 2 weeks, we do the swabs again and send them in. I have noticed an improvement in the tarter and inflammation and even some of the staining. But I did notice the day after starting it, she wasn’t feeling herself. Though she was eating fine, she wasn’t very excited about going for a walk in one of her favorite places; just kind of dumpy. I attributed it to the TEEF, but now I’m wondering if it could have been due to the lawn fertilizer episode. She had a bad reaction to lawn fertilizer a couple of years ago that raised her kidney and liver values.

Also, I live over top of a beauty salon and though they’ve been closed for the past 6-7 weeks, the owner and her husband have been painting and renovating down there for the past 3 weeks or so (weekends too) and I don't know what kind of paints or chemicals they've been using.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Kelly-

Kismet has lots of reasons for her violent sneezing!

It's best not dose her with Nat mur again before your vet visit and let us know what she says.

BTW-Can you open a window or run an air purifier for her?

These are the air purifiers used and recommended by Johns Hopkins:

Our Credentials | Welcome to Austin Air

KellyB

VIP Member
Registered
Thank you, Dr. Jeff! I was looking at air filters a while back but it was all so confusing on which one would be worth the money, so thanks for the suggestion!

KellyB

VIP Member
Registered
Oh dear - I did give her 2 more doses of the nat mur last night. :confused: Her violent sneezing has pretty much stopped. She does still have some snuffles and a runny, snotty nose.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom