• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Using Multiple Remedies?

novasimpson

VIP Member
Registered
Hello!

I see a homeopath for myself. She has me on a constitutional remedy I take typically every 7-40 days. And then I have as needed remedies. For example, if I having anxiety symptoms I take arsenicum or if I start to get a migraine I take bryonia. Sometimes if my anxiety continues she has me move from arsenicum to phosphorus. She was trained in classical homeopathy but she says using additional remedies as needed isn't necessarily from the classical school.

I feel like with the pups we typically give constitutional remedies only. When is it appropriate to give small doses of additional remedies as needed? And are there certain ones that are more appropriate? And chronic versus acute?

For example, for a new issue arnica is okay to give her pain?

Toshi has had low appetite. We are working on her internal balance with her constitutional remedies. Is it appropriate to give China also to help increase appetite?

Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Nova-

Thanks for posting this important question.

Yes, you can use a remedy for an acute problem during chronic "constitutional" treatment.

That's because the acute problem is usually isolated to one region and is not part of the generalized underlying imbalance. Like giving Arnica after a leg sprain, or Apis after a bug bite.

However, in the case of any BEAM symptom, like Toshi's appetite, that is not how a second remedy would work.

The second remedy is treating an isolated piece of the overall imbalance. This piece manifests as a single symptom or group of related symptoms.

These symptoms are a part of the dis-ease imbalance which will improve over time with continued use of a simillimum (a homeopathic medicine that matches the underlying dis-ease extremely well).

If instead the remedy is a close enough-icum, but not a simillimum, then the extra remedy may help the symptom but by improving the pre-existing problem. Not like an acute remedy give for a new "indiscretion" (like Arnica for injury or Ars after eating bad food).

This is good temporary support, but means that a better simillimum needs to be found (IMHO).

This is an important, but potentially confusing, topic so please ask for any clariifcation below.

Please also let us know how Toshi does affter the China 30 that you gave.

novasimpson

VIP Member
Registered
Thank you so much for the explanation!! It helped me understand a lot (and wondering about my personal constitutional remedy ;)

The dose of China 30c didn't seem to make a difference/?worsened -her energy was low all day and she had loose pudding poo before the china dose that continued x 3 more times. She also had the lowest appetite today then she has had in a while. Not sure if remedies or belly upset?

Follow up question, how do we know if Toshi's constitutional remedy is the "right one" or just the "right one right now"? Is there ever a "ight one" as constitutional?

My understanding from our earlier conversation, as we increase in potency, it becomes more obvious that the remedy is/isn't correct one...but is it possible it was the correct one for the 2 weeks she was on it at a lower potency...but now a new layer of onion has peeled back that needs a new remedy or to go back to a previous remedy. D

Did the remedy help correct balance at one level if as we go up in potency it doesn't seem to help and need to change to different remedy?

Sorry if my question is confusing- I am not sure if I am making sense :)

Thank you!!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Nova and I'm so glad that the reply was helpful.

Yes, your questions make total sense.

Chronic, or constitutional remedies can indeed change over time. Sometimes quickly. The faster-moving serious diseases, problems with pathology and the more that a pet or person is "out of balance" internally, the faster things can change.

For example, a few years ago when Dr. Saine was treating a patient in ICU, 5 different remedies were indicated within 30 minutes. All of the remedies were useful, but the state of the patient kept changing. With the help of the frequently changed remedies, this patient came out of their coma and was discharged from the hospital!

This could also be interpreted as using 5 different remedies at a time. However, it was the understanding of the shifting internal dynamic equilibrium that ultimately helped the patient recover.

Yes, it may also be that the remedies used were not similar enough to the underlying energetic imbalance. However, IMO it is the result that matters the most.

One take home is that remedy states can change quickly.

Regarding using a 30c vs. 6c, or Q2 vs. Q1, as we increase potency of the homeopathic medicine, the likelihood of needing a different remedy also increases.

novasimpson

VIP Member
Registered
Hi again! I read somewhere on the forum about aggravation vs adverse effect from remedy and I found an article about it. It was based on humans and said if the aggravation comes with a feeling of wellbeing, continue the remedy but stop if the wellbeing isn't present....I am thinking beam can take place for wellbeing?

Tater Tot has had a cough -usually more in morning but sometimes later in day and regurgitation x1.

After giving this last dose of calcerea on Tuesday, she regurgitated while sleeping and then started coughing and had trouble taking a breath in. I am not sure if it was an inverse sneeze or something stuck in her nose? But Everytime she tried to breath in it was like she was ?stuffed up and couldn't get air in and she didn't want to be touched. Then suddenly she was fine and breathing fine?!

Throughout the night she showed signs of ?acid reflux/belly upset --downard dog stretch, coughing, licking (air, rug, her arm) moving from bed to bed, snoring/snorting. Her RR ~24 at rest and sometimes she would be sleeping fine, breathing fine then would suddenly jump up and move to different area.

This morning her BEAM seems back to normal. I did give famotidine at midnight and then slippery elm this morning.

Would this be considered an aggravation? These are all signs she showed previously but worsened (and the trouble breathing I don't understand). So would continue with same remedy?

Thank you!

novasimpson

VIP Member
Registered
Hi again! Recently I had an appt with Dr Jeff and he mentioned it can be helpful to meet the vital force with the strength of the remedy. So lower vital force, it may be useful to use 6c. Is that correct?

We were unable to find 6c, so instead we used q1. Why wouldn't we use 30c instead?

Thanks!

JoannC

VIP Member
Registered
This is very interesting! Meeting the vital frce with the strength of the constitutional remedy. Teddy my 5 yr old Kitty has “idiopathic epilepsy “. It’s an unknown of why he had seizures on 4/15/2019, did well for past yr on phosphorus dilution. His behavior in early mornings always 3:30 am and on has always been one to pace, search, high pitch meowing. Despite dosing during that time it continued, then in Jan of 20circuling started, the remedy was strengthened but in a dilution from a stock bottle. Then sporadic seizure breakthroughs controlled by aconite.

All along early morning always, anxious, very few times would he sleep through the night. When I started aloe on 5/29/2020 his anxiety and behavior patterns began to change for the better however he still breaks through. Last night it was as though he was trying to relax and just could not. After 1 dose of phospherous he tried to settle Andrasz 4 am and I saw him throw his head to the right like in a jerking motion???so I gave him another dose of phosphorus and put the lights on. I think the dark, and looking outside seeing all the bugs out there excites him and triggers something in him.He finally settled but this pacing is directed for hours at trying to get outside?? Not sure if there is a symptom for this kind of behavior. I am not sure if he’s cries because I side he feels like he is crawling out of his skin with nowhere to go! My heart breaks for him because I am afraid I am overdosing him or the phosphorus won’t work anymore.

I hold off giving aconite b cause I am afraid of the same thing. During the day, he is calm but in darkness he becomes highly anxious, despite numerous massages, calming,. The aloe is definitely helping to change this pattern in him but one thing is for certain, the seizure behavior seems to be creeping back in?

Any thoughts on describing thes symptoms, thank you.

JoannC

VIP Member
Registered
AlsoTeddy gets dosed daily with phosphorus, but 12-15 times a month he requires in the middle of the night another dose that is diluted because of the odd behavior and restlessness.

Is there such a thing as rendering a remedy ineffective because of constant usage? Thank you.

novasimpson

VIP Member
Registered
Hi Joann! I am not sure about your question and I look forward to the answer too! So I am going to add on some questions :)

I know at one point, Tater Tots had been waking multiple times at night - agitated and activated and Dr Jeff had suggested giving olfactory doses of her remedy multiple times during night when needed. I am not sure if that would help with Teddy...?

And if he still needs extra dosing, would the phos strength/succussions be increased?

Thank you!!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom