• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Update on Harpo, my pup

F

Frances

Hi, I just would like to update and share some information regarding my puppy, Harpo. About four weeks ago, he had his liver shunt surgery, after suffering from kidney stones and we almost lost him.

He has done so well, full of energy, even more playful, and he is my little shadow. Since having surgery he has not even considered eating our other dogs doo, and this is huge! His potty training kicked in 100 percent, and we are free from the use of pee pads in our home. he loves to spend time out in the sunshine and goes on daily walks.

After surgery, he had experienced occasionally vomiting usually at 2am in the morning, and the vets agree it is not line with a shunt. I was looking for answers and I had changed his feeding times, and even increased the times he ate per day, hoping this would help alleviate his heaving and vomiting.

After taking him to the emergency vet almost a week ago, the veterinarian informed us the X-rays didn't show anything. He felt a good probiotic might help. It didn't make much of a difference, although he was on it for a few days. ( Dr Jeff suggested a good probiotic which I have yet to order.)

Yesterday, I had taken Harpo to our Holistic vet which is in our regular veterinarian office , and she agreed my plan was a good one. She also wanted to add marshmallow root 0.25ml, twice a day, and suggested we add a little pureed pumpkin into his diet, giving him more substance and fiber, and a good probiotic with billions of microbes as opposed to one with millions. .

This is what I did: For three days now I have given him 3ml of celery juice first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach.
The past two days I have given him Denamarin tablets ( it was usually administered first thing in the morning) but now I give it to him after lunch, and I have increased his food servings.

I prepare home made food for my dogs (still the bland diet of ground turkey or chicken and sweet potatoes and occasionally a blubbery or two for Harpo,) and I put them in ice cube trays. This helps me know how much my dogs are eating. Harpo needs to increase food to gain the weight, Bernadette needs to decrease the food to lose the weight.
Before the surgery, Harpo was eating 1-3 cubes at each meal, ....today he can consume 4-5 cubes per day 3-4 times a day. Last night he seemed ravenous that when I awoke this morning I had to make him more food.

The good news is: he is not throwing up anymore and has not thrown up in 2 or is it three days. Either way, it is exciting and great news that my dog is doing so much better. I thank you Dr jeff for all your suggestions and for agreeing the celery juice would be ideal in place of aloe vera juice. Thank you Dr Christina for your information on the last Monday call regarding my dogs health issue.

I will admit, being in tune, connecting with, and searching all avenues both regular and holistic can make a difference for your pet and yourself as a pet/ puppy parent. I shall keep you posted.

It is June 22, and I have an update. My dog woke up a couple of times last night just to use the bathroom. This morning I woke up half hour later which meant his celery juice was administered half hour later. but it didn't seem to matter, except, i waited half and hour as opposed to 15 minutes before feeding him, and in that span of time, he took off outside, where he began heaving and vomiting twice, yellow foamy bile... just when i thought I was on to soemthing and finding soemthing that worked. Now with this mornings vomiting, is he likely to have Bullious Vomiting syndrome?

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Frances

Well, as a puppy parent, I truly believe in BEAM and simply being in tune with my pets. Since my last post, I wanted to give a more wonderful update. My puppy has not thrown up in days..and what’s more I think the underlying issue may be he was eating things he shouldn’t, like getting into the tissue box, eating at a paper plate.

We have since monitored him carefully, and no vomiting experiences have occurred. I feed him multiple times a day, and in smaller increments so he isn’t over loaded, take him on walks once or twice a day, and if not twice then we play toys at night. I have him take celery juice on an empty stomach 3 mls daily, and although he is still on a bland diet of sweet pastors and turkey or chicken, I have introduced pumpkin purée into his food, and some Maine blueberries. He has quite an appetite and it’s nice to know he enjoys my cooking lol. Next week he ha she’s liver bile test and we shall see where we are at with his shunt. For me, all is on the up swing. ????

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Excellent,Frances. You did not panic when there was a little more vomiting. You are paying attention to the keys of good health. Is he still on the denamarin tablets?
Did you start a probiotic?

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Dr. Christina

F

Frances

Excellent,Frances. You did not panic when there was a little more vomiting. You are paying attention to the keys of good health. Is he still on the denamarin tablets?
Did you start a probiotic?

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Dr. Christina
Thank you Dr Christina, I give him Denamarin after lunch, but I had forgotten a couple of times, as with the probiotic. So it is safe to say every day except the occasional one. I have discontinued the marshmallow root that was prescribed by our holistic vet and only gave him two days worth. Not sure if I need to keep him on it :)

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom