• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Tympanic Ear Membrane Rupture & Middle Ear Infection

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Hi everyone - one of my friends' dogs, a 14yo Yorkie Poo named Riley, was taken to the vet in the middle of the night Friday and diagnosed with polyps in his ears, a tympanic membrane rupture and a middle ear infection. Yikes! The vet took out the polyps and cauterized the area and on Sunday morning, at home, Riley started bleeding again. So his dad ran him back to the vet, where Riley remains for the next couple of days while they observe him, keep him quiet so he can heal. His dad is very very worried about him.

The vet put Riley on: Cefpodoxine, Gabapentin and Zymox to flush his ears. I would like to suggest some things that have helped other friends' dogs with ear infections like mullein garlic oil or apple cider vinegar but I'm not sure with a tympanic membrane rupture if this is a good idea or not. I've not dealt with a dog with a membrane rupture in an ear.

@Dr. Jeff @Dr. Christina @Dr. Jean @Dr. Sara @Dr. Beth @drsue can you please weigh in here regarding best course of action once Riley gets home? Riley's dad is starting to put him on a better diet and wants to take care of him holistically now. He will be joining HA! in a couple of weeks. Any suggestions or insight would be appreciated now. Thanks much! Jody

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Jody!

Were the ear growths biopsied? Has Riley had previous ear problems? if not, there may be something else, physiologically speaking, going on.

What were the initial symptoms? As you know, pathology like ear "infections", polyps and rupture of the eardrum are secondary.

Regarding soothing the ears I personally don't advise putting anything in an ear with a ruptured eardrum. Essential oils, Reiki, flower essences and acupressure massage will help but the key IMO is internal treatment with energy building and balancing.

Upgrading diet is a great start, along with everything possible that makes Riley super psyched as often as possible.

The happier he gets, the more he sniffs, the more his cellular energy will improve and the faster he can heal.

Ideally Riley's guardians would also add a vet homeopath to their vet care team. @dr_ judy herman and Dr. Jeff Levy are two excellent homeopaths they can reach out to right away if they so choose.

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Hey Jody!

Were the ear growths biopsied? Has Riley had previous ear problems? if not, there may be something else, physiologically speaking, going on.

What were the initial symptoms? As you know, pathology like ear "infections", polyps and rupture of the eardrum are secondary.

Regarding soothing the ears I personally don't advise putting anything in an ear with a ruptured eardrum. Essential oils, Reiki, flower essences and acupressure massage will help but the key IMO is internal treatment with energy building and balancing.

Upgrading diet is a great start, along with everything possible that makes Riley super psyched as often as possible.

The happier he gets, the more he sniffs, the more his cellular energy will improve and the faster he can heal.

Ideally Riley's guardians would also add a vet homeopath to their vet care team. @dr_ judy herman and Dr. Jeff Levy are two excellent homeopaths they can reach out to right away if they so choose.
Thank you! I don't have any of that information as yet. I just learned about this this evening, right before I reached out. Tomorrow I'll ask his dad to fill in the picture a bit. I can't take Riley's case at the moment but his dad will be doing that. I do know he told me Riley has had ear problems for quite a while.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom