• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Titer check timing?

GretchenB

Community Member
Registered
hello! Not a vaccination issue, this is a titer question! i wasnt sure where to put it? Let me know if a diff area is more appropriate. Heres my question.

Checking in to see how often titers need to be checked? my dog apple last had hers checked jan 2022. We are getting ready to head out of town (always the time I start to think about these things ..!). in jan of 2022 her numbers w/ acceptable Parvo 1:160 / Distember 1:64 / Adenovirus 1:32 ...

anyways - thoughts? recommendations? merci! gracias! Thankyou!

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Great place to put it.

Once you have done a titer and there were antibodies present, you never need to repeat the titer since there is cell mediated immunity which is long term memory and will trigger the production of antibodies if exposed.

Of course, titers may be needed in lieu of vaccines to perform, be of service, travel, etc.

We have a lot of information on titers if you do a search on the home page. I hope you have also taken the 5 lesson 101 class (includes vaccine and titer info) and have assembled your holistic healing team with at least one vet who will respond by phone if you are traveling.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
titers may be needed in lieu of vaccines
Exactly! The primary reason to repeat a titer is if a kennel, training facility, etc. will accept one in lieu of vaccination.

The other reasons are if you need this information to feel comfortable. And if your area is in the middle of a parvo or distemper "epidemic" and you want to be maximize the odds of protection.

However (and you'll learn this in many of our vaccination resources) a negative titer does not mean no protection.

The majority of immune protection is not measurable by titers.

To answer your question more directly however, the Univ. of WI recommends titers every 3 years (FWIW):

GretchenB

Community Member
Registered
great. thanks so much to both of you for your responses. I appreciate it (except for feeling a bit of panic for not having a vet on call! which i never thought i needed til now .lol).

Will take the 5 Lesson class - it looks quite interesting and informative.

I do not have a holistic healing team ... and not sure I can round one up before I leave. The integrative vet we used to see has retired, and we have recently reached out to get established with a new one. I am not sure we will be able to get in before we go.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
When are you leaving Gretchen?

Have you contacted Dr. Herman or Sagrera to see if they can get you in before you go (they're virtual vets so any locale is fine)

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom