• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Teeth cleaning for cats

ChristinaP

Registered
Hello,
I wasn't sure where to post this, so I will start here. I am challenged to find an alternative to having my cat (Cappuccine) put under anesthesia for a teeth cleaning. She has had medical challenges in the past--liver congestion, kidney/pancreas--most likely from vaccinations. I spent a year, so far, with reiki masters and qi gong masters to clear this up. She seems to be in good health now, and I support that with a couple of supplements. My fear about the teeth cleaning is that she will not wake up. And, of course, other issues that would be caused by anesthesia if she does. Are there homeopathic/herbal/other alternatives to dissolve tartar from her teeth?
Thank you!

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Great healing that you did for Cappuccine with Reiki and Qi Gong. Glad she is in good health. Have you looked at the Early Warning Signs of Internal Imbalance as a way to measure full health, one of which is tarter on the teeth? Keeping a journal can help you also evaluate full health.

Of course, every animal is unique, so what will help with tarter may differ. If her tarter has improved or stayed the same during the healing, then just wait longer and clean her teeth at home. Watch the dental talk for great tips on home care, especially that all you need do is firmly rub the teeth after meals with your bare finger! Often tarter resolves when cats are willing to tear into BIG chunks of meat, fish, necks, backs, etc. Just feeding a raw meaty diet often helps.

There are a number of products you can put into the water (but healthy cats do not drink water) or food or rub on gums. In my experience, they help some animals, but none were so reliable that I would say to use that one. You can try each for a month.

If there is a lot of tarter with receding gums, red gums, etc, then you need anesthetic cleaning. doing the energy work before, during and after will have a very good chance of there being no problems.

Dr Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Christina!

Welcome to HA! and thanks for making your first post.

Anesthesia, when used properly, is pretty safe today but personally I agree with you that it's best to avoid it if possible.

What is Cappuccine's diet, current BEAM and what does any recent blood work show?

Brushing and massaging gums, using products such as Proden Plaqueoff and NZ Deer Velvet oral spray can be helpful.

And a non-anesthetic dental (NAD) may be another option. Search your HA! member area for lots of dental info, including a webinar from one of the NAD companies, and one from Dr. Kangas (and others). all about dental challenges.

So yes, there are remedies and things to help her teeth and gums but whether they are appropriate for her depends on the degree of dental dis-ease. Has your vet seen her recently, and if so, what did she say? Maybe also post some pictures of her mouth in this thread.

ChristinaP

Registered
Hi Christina!

Welcome to HA! and thanks for making your first post.

Anesthesia, when used properly, is pretty safe today but personally I agree with you that it's best to avoid it if possible.

What is Cappuccine's diet, current BEAM and what does any recent blood work show?

Brushing and massaging gums, using products such as Proden Plaqueoff and NZ Deer Velvet oral spray can be helpful.

And a non-anesthetic dental (NAD) may be another option. Search your HA! member area for lots of dental info, including a webinar from one of the NAD companies, and one from Dr. Kangas (and others). all about dental challenges.

So yes, there are remedies and things to help her teeth and gums but whether they are appropriate for her depends on the degree of dental dis-ease. Has your vet seen her recently, and if so, what did she say? Maybe also post some pictures of her mouth in this thread.
Hello,
Thank you for your comments and all the information. When the vet saw her in Feb or March, she said that Cappuccine had some plaque or tartar. I don't remember which. She said that Cappuccine would need cleaning in the near future. I look at her gums, and they are pale pink, so I don't think there is inflammation, and if I can just find something that would decrease or eliminate tartar/plaque I might be able to keep her from having to undergo the traumatic experience. She is on the anxious side and begins to shiver when we put her in her pet carrier. She also needed liver detox and was not absorbing nutrients properly, and as I said, had kidney/pancreas issues. One year's worth of different modalities saved her. I am very hesitant to introduce any toxins in her system, but I have been talking to the reiki master, and she said that she could give her reiki before and after to neutralize the toxins. I still worry, though...because I hear horror stories about how animals don't wake up or are not the same afterwards. There are very few choices in our little town. The vet is very good, and people from all over the country come to see him, but he is also traditional all the way...though he has gotten a laser in recent years (huzzah!). OMG, I cannot imagine what he would say to me if I were to share with him what cured my little one.

I did look up ProDen, and I was very interested in it, but it cautioned against use if there were any thyroid troubles. I don't think Cappuccine has any existing thyroid troubles at the moment, though. What would you recommend I do to make sure?
Thanks so much, sorry for the rambling. This is a very difficult decision to make. We lost our little one suddenly in November 2021, and it has taken me a long time to even be able to look at photos of her :(

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
How great that you have a wonderful vet nearby! :snowman: It doesn't much matter if they are officially holistic as long as they are supportive for whatever stuff you do.
if there were any thyroid troubles. I don't think Cappuccine has any existing thyroid troubles at the moment, though. What would you recommend I do to make sure?
A blood test for thyroid hormone is a very accurate way to diagnose hyperthyroidism. How old is Cappucine?

ChristinaP

Registered
How great that you have a wonderful vet nearby! :snowman: It doesn't much matter if they are officially holistic as long as they are supportive for whatever stuff you do.

A blood test for thyroid hormone is a very accurate way to diagnose hyperthyroidism. How old is Cappucine?
She will be about 10 years old in August.

ChristinaP

Registered
so
Hello,
Thank you for your comments and all the information. When the vet saw her in Feb or March, she said that Cappuccine had some plaque or tartar. I don't remember which. She said that Cappuccine would need cleaning in the near future. I look at her gums, and they are pale pink, so I don't think there is inflammation, and if I can just find something that would decrease or eliminate tartar/plaque I might be able to keep her from having to undergo the traumatic experience. She is on the anxious side and begins to shiver when we put her in her pet carrier. She also needed liver detox and was not absorbing nutrients properly, and as I said, had kidney/pancreas issues. One year's worth of different modalities saved her. I am very hesitant to introduce any toxins in her system, but I have been talking to the reiki master, and she said that she could give her reiki before and after to neutralize the toxins. I still worry, though...because I hear horror stories about how animals don't wake up or are not the same afterwards. There are very few choices in our little town. The vet is very good, and people from all over the country come to see him, but he is also traditional all the way...though he has gotten a laser in recent years (huzzah!). OMG, I cannot imagine what he would say to me if I were to share with him what cured my little one.

I did look up ProDen, and I was very interested in it, but it cautioned against use if there were any thyroid troubles. I don't think Cappuccine has any existing thyroid troubles at the moment, though. What would you recommend I do to make sure?
Thanks so much, sorry for the rambling. This is a very difficult decision to make. We lost our little one suddenly in November 2021, and it has taken me a long time to even be able to look at photos of her :(

ChristinaP

Registered
She will be about 10 years old in August.
I am sorry! I didn't answer your other questions: Her diet is Instinct Rabbit one protein, Honest Kitchen salmon and cod. I give her Nzymes granules and ION Intelligence Gut Support for Pets, as well as 1/4 tsp of coconut oil (cold pressed, organic, nonhydrogenated...). I give her several drops, also, of colloidal silver for immune support, even though Nzymes does that, too. I think I like that it is antibacterial and antiviral, so added protection.
Can you tell me if the Deer Velvet product assists in dissolving plaque and tartar, or is it for prevention? Thank you!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom