• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Spondylitis deformans?

ChristyM

VIP Member
Registered
Do you all have any suggestions for a dog who has lost of cartilage in L3-L4? Is their any supplement I can give? Would CBD oil be good to give for this? If so, what kind? Some days are slower than others, which I know means he may be in some discomfort a bit. Otherwise he stays active for this condition.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Short and long term I'd use hyaluronic acid, in injections like Adequan or liquid such as Joint Flex or Trixsyn, to encourage growth of cartilage and lubricate the joint tissue. There are some homeopathic remedies I'd think of, but I'm not the homeopath here so will wait. There is a TCM formula that is anti-inflammatory, called Acanthopanax, which has worked well for us. Chiropractic treatment might bring some relief and function. CBD may well help, but I cannot speak to results b/c it has not seemed effective for us - not for the same condition, though.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, I agree with Ginny that HA (hyaluronic acid) is indicated.

Ellevet CBD appears to be (one of) the most effective CBDs at relieving arthritic pain.

ChristyM

VIP Member
Registered
Short and long term I'd use hyaluronic acid, in injections like Adequan or liquid such as Joint Flex or Trixsyn, to encourage growth of cartilage and lubricate the joint tissue. There are some homeopathic remedies I'd think of, but I'm not the homeopath here so will wait. There is a TCM formula that is anti-inflammatory, called Acanthopanax, which has worked well for us. Chiropractic treatment might bring some relief and function. CBD may well help, but I cannot speak to results b/c it has not seemed effective for us - not for the same condition, though.
Thank you Ginny. Do these injections come from going to the vet? He has had an Adequan injection before and that does seem to help him. Where can I get the Joint Flex or Trixsyn? Or do I ask my vet to inject these? I do have a TCM vet; I'll ask about the Acanthopanax.

And just to understand correctly, what do you mean by short term and long term?

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Thank you Ginny. Do these injections come from going to the vet? He has had an Adequan injection before and that does seem to help him. Where can I get the Joint Flex or Trixsyn? Or do I ask my vet to inject these? I do have a TCM vet; I'll ask about the Acanthopanax.

And just to understand correctly, what do you mean by short term and long term?
Right now! For first aid...and then to maintain healthy cartilage. HA is a natural component of all tissue but fails to be sufficiently produced with age and stress. Vets do Adequan, at great expense. Joint Flex comes from 100X Equine, by the gallon. Trixsyn is from Cogent Solutions. These are all oral preparations. You can buy TCM formulas from Acupuncture Atlanta, and many other places, too. No prescription needed for any of these except the injections. My dog and I have been using oral HA for years, and other dogs before him. Good for your insides, hair, skin, especially as we age:)

ChristyM

VIP Member
Registered
Right now! For first aid...and then to maintain healthy cartilage. HA is a natural component of all tissue but fails to be sufficiently produced with age and stress. Vets do Adequan, at great expense. Joint Flex comes from 100X Equine, by the gallon. Trixsyn is from Cogent Solutions. These are all oral preparations. You can buy TCM formulas from Acupuncture Atlanta, and many other places, too. No prescription needed for any of these except the injections. My dog and I have been using oral HA for years, and other dogs before him. Good for your insides, hair, skin, especially as we age:)
Thank you Ginny. Can you point me in the right direction for the oral HA? I would like to try that for the little boy. Is the oral you use from Acupuncture Atlanta? I appreciate your help. :) :)

ChristyM

VIP Member
Registered
Thank you Ginny. Can you point me in the right direction for the oral HA? I would like to try that for the little boy. Is the oral you use from Acupuncture Atlanta? I appreciate your help. :) :)
I think I might have found what your speaking of...is it from cogentsolutionsgroup..the Trixsyn? Correct? Trying to make sure I am going in the right direction.

ChristyM

VIP Member
Registered
Yes, I agree with Ginny that HA (hyaluronic acid) is indicated.

Ellevet CBD appears to be (one of) the most effective CBDs at relieving arthritic pain.
Hi Dr. Jeff,
I would like to know what ML to choose if I am interested in buying the oil. It says for any size. But I am not sure which would be correct to buy for a 11 pound Pomeranian?

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
100XEquine will get you there, but yeah, you probably don't need a gallon for a Pom - unless, of course, you decide it has benefits for you, too, which it does...

Yes, Trixsyn comes from Cogent. I think HomeVet - Dr. Jeff's store - carries it too.

ChristyM

VIP Member
Registered
100XEquine will get you there, but yeah, you probably don't need a gallon for a Pom - unless, of course, you decide it has benefits for you, too, which it does...

Yes, Trixsyn comes from Cogent. I think HomeVet - Dr. Jeff's store - carries it too.
Where do I find the 100XEquine? And should I do both Trixsyn and the 100XEquine? Or would using just Trixsyn and the CBD oil that Dr. Jeff recommended be sufficient you think? Thank you so much for your help Ginny!

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
100XEquine is an email address, which will also get you a link if you put it in a search. Trixsyn and 100XEquine are virtually equal in strength per dose - about 250-300mg of hyaluronic acid, so the gallon size just gives you a great deal. Use one or the other; your money, your choice.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

LilF

Community Member
Registered
My
Do you all have any suggestions for a dog who has lost of cartilage in L3-L4? Is their any supplement I can give? Would CBD oil be good to give for this? If so, what kind? Some days are slower than others, which I know means he may be in some discomfort a bit. Otherwise he stays active for this condition.
My dog has spondylosis, he is 14. The Ellevet did not help my dog at all and it had a horrible taste to it . JJ is pretty accepting of things but he did not like this oil. I had to give him something tasty after oral administration but I think they have chews and caps you can put the oil in. He does now get Trixsyn twice a day now. We did do the Adequan injections. I did not notice a huge improvement but perhaps they kept him from getting worse. Time will tell. I did find that collagen powder seemed to help him. I use the Mercola brand. JJ does not accept supplements like he used to and I feel he could be doing better if he accepted them. I wanted to give him Curcumin but my vet said that it produces heat and JJ pants a lot in the summer. But I feel that it should help with pain and so I might try to get it into him in spite of what she said. I have heard Perna Mussel is good but have not tried it. I am starting my other dog on the Adequan next week. She has mild spondylosis but still romps around at 14. She does limp some in the front and has arthritis there so maybe the Adequan will have more noticeable results with her.

ChristyM

VIP Member
Registered
100XEquine is an email address, which will also get you a link if you put it in a search. Trixsyn and 100XEquine are virtually equal in strength per dose - about 250-300mg of hyaluronic acid, so the gallon size just gives you a great deal. Use one or the other; your money, your choice.
Thank you so much Ginny for leading me in the right direction for this. :)

ChristyM

VIP Member
Registered

ChristyM

VIP Member
Registered
My

My dog has spondylosis, he is 14. The Ellevet did not help my dog at all and it had a horrible taste to it . JJ is pretty accepting of things but he did not like this oil. I had to give him something tasty after oral administration but I think they have chews and caps you can put the oil in. He does now get Trixsyn twice a day now. We did do the Adequan injections. I did not notice a huge improvement but perhaps they kept him from getting worse. Time will tell. I did find that collagen powder seemed to help him. I use the Mercola brand. JJ does not accept supplements like he used to and I feel he could be doing better if he accepted them. I wanted to give him Curcumin but my vet said that it produces heat and JJ pants a lot in the summer. But I feel that it should help with pain and so I might try to get it into him in spite of what she said. I have heard Perna Mussel is good but have not tried it. I am starting my other dog on the Adequan next week. She has mild spondylosis but still romps around at 14. She does limp some in the front and has arthritis there so maybe the Adequan will have more noticeable results with her.
Awe, thank you for your feedback on this. Its so hard to watch them go through this, isn't it? I'm going to start him on Trixsyn and see how he does on that. I have tried Adequan injections with aquapuncture & oils (massage) and at first it seemed to work and then not. Plus, their is always the expense of that in the long run. I've tried the other CBD oil on him by KINGKALM, but not quite sure if that helped or not? It seemed too, but these things don't seem to have a long lasting effect. He also seems to experience spasms with his legs which also turns into a mild seizure. the spasms don't seem to be painful, but the seizures are when he goes through them. Thankfully they seem to be sporadic when it happens and not all the time. I think I'll wait on the Ellevet and see how he does on Trixsyn. Have you had any experience with the cbd from KINGKALM or have you only tried the Ellevet? My vet did give me tumeric with coconut oil for him for the pain and inflammation, but he didn't seem to like that so I wasn't going to force it on him.
What is Perna Mussel? I wish you the best of luck with your babies. Thanks for your feedback again.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom