• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Sophie is scratching and biting at her skin again

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Sophie update 3/15/21 - following the aggravation 5 hrs after Wednesday's dose, things calmed down for a couple of days and then she took a 2" sized circular chunk of her hair out with biting on her left thigh. It was very tender so I put Calendula cream on it, which always works really well for us, taking down the swelling and redness very quickly. She was miserable but we wanted. That was late Friday. On Sunday, she didn't feel well for a couple of hours, her BEAM was off and she asked to come up in my lap, something she only does if she's not well or scared at the vet.

After like 2 hours, she seemed to feel better and was incessantly barking like herself and playing in the backyard. Then today, she was off; like when her skin is really bothering her. She'll look back at her back or a back leg quickly, like she's gotten a sensation. She took another circular patch, also about 2", of her hair out by biting just above the last patch and she's really not feeling good. So her behavior is off; her energy is off, she's quieter yet also restless with the jumping up and taking a couple of running steps as if to escape a skin sensation. Her appetite is ok, she ate her bkfst and her dinner and appetite for Sophie is the first to go when she's not well, so that's a good sign. Her mood is off, as per above.

I'm still waiting but really want to give her something to take the edge off of her skin discomfort. Any suggestions? I thought I'd make some chamomile tea and steep it awhile, let it cool and put it into a spray bottle and spritz her skin. Any other thoughts would be welcomed. My poor girl; I feel for her. Of course it also crosses my mind that maybe if this continues, it would be time to try a different remedy. I know chronic skin issues are tough and take time. :) Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Sorry about Sophie but you are correct that her skin healing will take time. Unfortunately, possibly years.

There is a direct relationship between the duration of symptoms, the number of medications used to palliate them, and how long it can take to respond.

In an 11 year young pup like Sophie, you might want to focus on her quality of life and the "Happiness Protocol" of promoting petting, playing, and purring (for cats) or therapeutic sniff walks (for dogs).

Yes, I agree that you may need to go back to a less deep-acting remedy and consider using it in a 6c or Q potency.

Regarding her symptoms and finding a remedy, one big clue might be found in her formication (sudden biting as if she had some sudden itchy sensations). Any persistent modality changes?

Have you tried bathing her using a colloidal oatmeal or other soothing shampoo? How about topical (and oral) Aloe vera? Some pets also respond well to a skin spray (an essential oil blend) that I use in my practice:

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Sorry about Sophie but you are correct that her skin healing will take time. Unfortunately, possibly years.

There is a direct relationship between the duration of symptoms, the number of medications used to palliate them, and how long it can take to respond.

In an 11 year young pup like Sophie, you might want to focus on her quality of life and the "Happiness Protocol" of promoting petting, playing, and purring (for cats) or therapeutic sniff walks (for dogs).

Yes, I agree that you may need to go back to a less deep-acting remedy and consider using it in a 6c or Q potency.

Regarding her symptoms and finding a remedy, one big clue might be found in her formication (sudden biting as if she had some sudden itchy sensations). Any persistent modality changes?

Have you tried bathing her using a colloidal oatmeal or other soothing shampoo? How about topical (and oral) Aloe vera? Some pets also respond well to a skin spray (an essential oil blend) that I use in my practice:

Hi-thank u! great session tonight! I am prepared for the long haul and yes, maybe a less deep acting is called for now. I relented and gave her 1/2 tab of 25mg benedryl earlier but didn’t seem to do much. Don Hamilton said if we must, it’s a less offending option than others.
I’ll go back to Sophie’s case, look at this new peculiar you mentioned above and see what I come up with.
I also ordered marshmallow root tincture, organic chamomile (I’ll make a tea and put room temp liquid in spray bottle for her) and was going to give her vit C. After tonight’s session, I’m wondering if her now eating raw organs like she’s been doing the past couple of weeks could’ve triggered a detox on top of the remedy. What do u think?

I do need a good clean gentle shampoo for her. Any specific ones would be appreciated. She seems to have a biting bout 1-2 days after a bath and maybe the shampoo is a culprit (but doesn’t always trigger) or maybe water is a culprit or warm water as that’s what I use. So many variables to consider! ???

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome, Jody.

Is she better or worse after getting wet (shampoo or not)?

There are lots of great shampoos out there, but for a very mild and healing one, you may want to use an animalEO oil made into a shampoo:

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
You're welcome, Jody.

Is she better or worse after getting wet (shampoo or not)?

There are lots of great shampoos out there, but for a very mild and healing one, you may want to use an animalEO oil made into a shampoo:

She's usually but not always worse after a wet shampoo. It may be the shampoo I've used or the water or the temp of the water...who knows? I'll def try that shampoo; thank you! It's a bit challenge. My little bunny girl (that's Sophie, in case you thought I was jumping to talking about a bunny pet, which I don't have) is still not herself today. She's still trying to lick at the latest sore. I've also noticed she has a cloudy/clear discharge from her left eye over the last couple of days and both welts she created are on her left thigh. So...maybe I'll look at some left sided remedies and see if any match her/her symptoms well.

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
She's usually but not always worse after a wet shampoo. It may be the shampoo I've used or the water or the temp of the water...who knows? I'll def try that shampoo; thank you! It's a bit challenge. My little bunny girl (that's Sophie, in case you thought I was jumping to talking about a bunny pet, which I don't have) is still not herself today. She's still trying to lick at the latest sore. I've also noticed she has a cloudy/clear discharge from her left eye over the last couple of days and both welts she created are on her left thigh. So...maybe I'll look at some left sided remedies and see if any match her/her symptoms well.
Things are continuing to move, which is great! Itching has calmed some; discharge from eyes seems to have almost completely resolved. No pimples on her chest. More waiting for now to see how things progress over the next few days.

I received marshmallow root tincture. Anyone have recommendations of how much to give (Sophie is about 11 lbs) and do I put the drops of tincture in some water to dilute and then dropper into her mouth? I've not really done tinctures with dogs as yet. It is an alcohol not a glycerin tincture. Is that ok??

@Dr. Jeff the base aloe shampoo and special Calm a mile essential oil prep should be arriving any day now; yay! Thanks again for that recommendation.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
How absolutely wonderful that you are seeing the virtues of watchful waiting!

Patience and perseverance are the essence of homeopathy and healing.2ps.png

You can safely use 1 drop of marshmallow root tincture in 8 oz. of water and give 1 cc.

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
How absolutely wonderful that you are seeing the virtues of watchful waiting!

Patience and perseverance are the essence of homeopathy and healing.2ps.png

You can safely use 1 drop of marshmallow root tincture in 8 oz. of water and give 1 cc.
@Dr. Jeff you are teaching me this! And the more I learn about the bigger picture, the more obvious it is that patience is a key part of homeopathy. And...as frustrating as it can be for an impatient person, especially when her baby doesn't feel great, it is a really beautiful aspect of homeopathy. I call it the elegant medical practice.

Thanks for this. How often re the marshmallow root...as needed for discomfort or a few times then wait? :)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
As needed up to twice/day.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom