• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Safe garden plants for cats

BettinaT

VIP Member
Registered
Hi ?I'm looking for inspiration on which plants to plant in my garden.

Besides catnip, what else can you recommend?
I would also like to plant a small bush or something that my cats could use as a hiding place.

Right now I have grass everywhere in my small garden. Besides my cats eating grass, there's not much exciting for them to do out there.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Besides catnip, what else can you recommend?

Right now I have grass everywhere in my small garden. Besides my cats eating grass, there's not much exciting for them to do out there.
Wow! What a great question (and it's one I haven't heard before).

Which gardening zone do you live in Bettina?

@Dr. Jean Hofve, do you have any thoughts about kitty specific plantings?

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Mostly I know what *not* to plant, which starts with anything that grows from a bulb. As close as you are to the World Capital of Tulips, definitely stay away from those!

Most culinary herbs are safe and may be mildly interesting for your cats, like parsley and thyme. Melissa (lemon balm) is a really nice plant. My cats never bothered the Vinca (periwinkle, major and minor) and the flowers are very pretty in the spring. They make a nice ground cover. Some cats like lemon grass, too. Daisies are my favorite and very safe.

The ASPCA has not only a list of toxic plants, but also non-toxic ones, here: Toxic and Non-Toxic Plants Scroll down and sort by non-toxic to cats. It's a very long list, most plants are really okay.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom