• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Ripped Paw Pad 2YO GSD Male

LyndseyM

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi! We noticed my guy lifting his rear right paw up, but still pretty active. Palpated the leg and performed passive range of motion without issue. Upon further inspection, we noticed part of one of his pads was ripped clear off.

He is eating, drinking, pooping, peeing and otherwise normal. He's still participating in activities, but resting when everybody else slows down.

Any suggestions on assisting his healing?

Thanks in advance!

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Well, I think I'd rinse it out with saline or peroxide, and wrap it up. Worth a try, even if he won't tolerate it for long. Perhaps some NewSkin; it'll sting like blazes for a minute, but will form a solid protective coating. If you have homeopathic Hypericum, dissolve a pellet in water, stir or rap it ten times and give a spoonful or dropperful orally night and morning, and then once daily for a couple of days. It's great for pain to extremities, and to obviate infection.

...Or, you could do nothing...his body can figure it out:)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Lyndsey-

I'm sorry to hear about your pup's pad.

Is it bleeding? If not, then as Ginny said, Hypericum, keeping it clean and tincture of time are usually all you need to do.

LyndseyM

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you both! He seemed to only not be weight bearing for the first day or so and appears to be faring well with it otherwise, I'm surprised because it does seem painful.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom