• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Report on The Healthy Dog Expo held in Albany, NY April 6th, 2019

jsqueglia

All-Access Member
Registered
This past Saturday I attended the Healthy Dog Expo in Albany, NY. It was held at the Desmond Hotel and was a gathering of about 200 like-minded people. The panel of speakers was Suzanne Clothier who is extremely skilled in observing dogs and their behavior and spoke on "The Elemental Dog-Understanding the Mind, Body and Health Connection", Kimberly Gautier a Raw Food Blogger spoke on "Hacking Your Raw Food Diet", Dr Debbie Gross Torraca "Latest Developments in Physical Therapy and Injury Assessment",Dr Kendra Pope "An Integrative Approach to Cancer" and Dr Jean Dodds "Getting to the Point- The Latest on Vaccines and Vaccinations"

Below is my review of the day as I had reported in an email to Dr Jeff this morning.

The seminar was really good. It was definitely geared towards the pet owning population as opposed to professionals. As the audience was giving feed back to the presenters it appeared as though about 1/2 fed raw and the audience seemed to be made up of competition people, breeders and pet supply folks. I got to meet Nicci! Yay!! Really enjoyed my short conversations with her. Wish I wasn't so far from Cheshire.

As for the presenters... Suzanne Clothier was awesome as always and I was even wondering if she might be an Empower Hour presenter some day. She spoke on the connection between training, knowing your animal (asking the Elemental questions), structure, individuality and health from an emotional/physical stand point. She also is in the final phases of getting her FAT( Functional Assessment Tool) up and running online. Which is basically a program to track BEAM plus. A useful tool for kennels, daycares and other animal care providers as well as in home for personal use on your own animals.

Dr Jean Dodd's freshly back from Italy gave a wonderful and as always candid talk about vaccinations. Really great and well received.

Kimberly Gautier Raw Food Blogger gave her insights on raw food feeding without giving many facts. She was funny and animated and if she persuaded more folks to feed raw then I guess she did her job.

Dr Toracca was good as well but my issue with her presentation was it was more an infomercial on the DigiTherm machine than on what her approaches to remedying the issues after detection were going to be. I understood the technology pretty quickly and didn't need an hour of thermal imaging pictures. I would of rather known what treatments were available to help the issues heal and what exercises and TotoFit equipment would be useful to help keep these older and competitive dogs balanced and in shape.
In hindsight , I guess technically she kept to the Title of her presentation but I know she has so much more to offer and speak about.

I found Dr Kendra Pope peppy, brilliant and compassionate. Her talk on Integrative medicine for oncology patients was certainly a promising message to all that were in the audience. I unfortunately, didn't get to stay for the last hour long panel discussion because I wanted to ask her about the use of homeopathy in cancer patients to see what her thoughts or reactions would be. Maybe Nicci was able to ask that question.

She did state that in her office there were no conventional medicines on the shelf and gave some good information on cancer and cancer cells and how the use of mushrooms and herbs actually target more pathways than any one chemotherapy drug. She also stated that the only tumors known to shrink with use of a Keto diet are brain tumors which do feed on glucose primarily and that in other cancers when you remove sources of glucose they tend to feed on other food sources(I am thinking fats and proteins, muscle). And that a Keto diet is not meant for long term use.

She used some patient examples of amazing success stories of total remission, some that did just as well on herbs as they would have on a chemo regimen and may have gotten even a few extra months and she didn't leave out the reality that there are some you simply support until the end.

The Expo organizers were trying to sponsor Veterinary students to attend which I thought was an excellent idea but not sure if there were any in attendance.

I overall thought it was a good expo. This year was only the second year so hopefully it will continue to get better and better. Dr Jeff and Dr Christina would be a really nice addition to the Expo next year. I think presenting the Vitality and Balance model and maybe an Intro to Homeopathy would be fantastic.

Jackie

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for your excellent review Jackie!

Let's see if 2020 in Albany works out.

BTW-Dr. Herman discussed Digatherm and how to apply the info in one of the archived Empower Hours! from last year, and will be doing it again on

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom