• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Reducing Risk and Managing Cancer in Pets Webinar

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi everyone-

Let's use this thread to discuss some of the pre-submitted 11/4/19 cancer webinar questions.

To facilitate discussion of these great topics, The replies may link to other threads that reference the questions in the subject line.

As a reminder, the overall themes that will help your pets are:

• focus on their specific individuality, not the general diagnosis
  • use symptoms as clues to guide your cancer management decisions?
  • optimize quality of life and cellular energy using BEAM (Behavior, Energy, Appetite, Mood)?
  • try to avoid symptom suppression

Laurie:
"What should you do if your pet develops a lump and that pet is a homeopathically treated patient? Does it depend where it is, i.e. breast versus back area?

Trease:
I have a question about cancer-autoimmune disease. My older German shepherd Bridget died from it. I have her pup Reba (now 6 years old) and worry she carries the same genetic weakness. I avoid vaccinations on her as much as possible so as not to trigger same disease. Conventional veterinary medicine wants to give steroids when they have the disease because of the high fever associated with it. Steroids keep the fever down but destroys the muscles and the outcome is a miserable death. So my question is: What can I do further to avoid triggering autoimmune disease in Reba and if she does come down with it what is a better plan of managing it without steroids?

Pam:
I have a client whose cat was diagnosed with nasal lymphoma/polyp that is inoperable due to how it’s grown into the roof of his mouth. Fortunately, through major diet modification and supplementation to help rebuild his immune system, along with eliminating as many of the environmental allergens as possible that exacerbate his condition, he has shown improvement.

Will you include any tips on keto diets for cats or specific ways to help cats with nasal lymphoma in this presentation?

Lesley:
My nearly 12 year old Weimaraner has had a splenectomy including removal of a large tumour attached to it that filled the abdomenal cavity. Histology has indicated it isn't as aggressive as thought at first. He will probably out live it.

How can I maximise his quality of life. He is fed raw, had6 recovered remarkably well. He is not having chemo. I have been giving him Essiac tea, filtered water and no chemicals, no vaccines since 2014.

Claire:
My Beautiful Cat Neo passed away 7 months ago so quickly ! Neo was almost 16 years and I regularly came to the vet .He had urinary infections and small stones (5) in his gallbladder. I gave him homeopathy (prescribed by another vet) and special food.

He didn't have surgery because they didn't grow or move regarding to the vet but I don t understand why the vet and I, haven t thought to check my Neo s kidneys since he has this repetitive urinary issues … with antibiotics and anti inflammatory medicine each time.

He was growing old and he was unfortunately keen to develop such disease . I didn’t know this before I read that. It is unfortunately quite common for an old cat to develop cancer .
His last blood test, in November 2018 reveal nothing to worry about and his x ray revealed osteoarthritis .(he had supplements and homeopathy and anti inflammatory medicines for pain and energy healing )
It was in November 2018 and in January ,in 11 days ,he just lost his life from an aggressive kidney cancer .

My question is why the diagnosis couldn't have be made earlier ?

Nancy:
My parents lost their German Shepherd to cancer last year! Josie was only about 4 years old. I don't remember which type of cancer diagnosis was made for her. But she began to have bouts of diarrhea several times daily, unable to eat much and lost weight quickly for a couple of weeks or so before the diagnosis was given. My parents could not afford the cost of the cancer treatment offered.

Questions... At what stage in the progression of the cancer is it considered 'too late' to begin treating a pet with homeopathic medicines? If a diagnosis is made very early, what is the likelihood that a pet can be treated successfully using only or predominantly homeopathic medicines??

Heidi:
My dog had a mast cell tumor on her rear leg that was removed, but they probably did not get all the margins since they didn't know it was a mast cell at the time. She also had two smaller tumors show up on her front leg and in her rear underbelly area. The vet prescribed prednisone and the two new tumors have completely disappeared.
He claims she needs to stay on this medication forever (she's 10yrs old but very active) but the meds make her SO hungry and thirsty and she seems miserable.
Is there any way to keep it at a lower dose. She is currently taking 30mg every other day. Or an alternate treatment that will work as good...??

Joanne:
Our Irish Wolfhound 6 y.o. was diagnosed with Lymphoma Oct. 1. He is takes Prednisone and Metronidazole. He has always been on a cancer prevention diet as we are familiar with bone cancer (two IW passed away from it).
Is there anything we can do more to improve his quality of life?

Diane:
I’ve had 2 dogs now test positive for lyme and wind up with lymphoma (one has since passed). The dog that passed had periodic acute lyme episodes where he couldn’t walk. We always got him back to his usual self with Ledum. With the last blow-up that we thought was also lyme related, the submandibular and prescapular, but particularly the submandibular, blew up so large that his face was distorted. The ledum helped with the initial swelling that time, but it returned, never went away and the vet called it lymphoma even though I didn’t agree to the needle biopsy (all of his other nodes were also swollen).

I noticed that my current dog, 8 yo rottie, never sick a day in his life, raw fed, puppy vaccines only, looks/acts like a puppy – had all of his lymph nodes swollen. Took him to the vet for an exam and blood work. Nothing noted in exam other than how healthy he seemed other than the swollen lymph nodes. The blood was processed at HemoPet with everything normal except for 4DX lyme antibodies and Anaplasma positive. Further Lyme C6 antibody result was elevated at 88. He has never displayed a lyme symptom or any symptom for that matter. Vet did say based on all of the nodes swollen he would say it’s lymphoma but I didn’t do the needle biopsy. I’ve been treating him for lyme with my homeopath but the lymph node swelling is progressing in his neck area. I am becoming convinced he also has lymphoma. He is still not exhibiting any other symptoms.

My questions are -

can lyme cause/lead to cancer?
Can lymphoma not show up in the blood at all?
Absent any symptoms other than all lymph nodes progressively swelling, would lymphoma be your likely diagnosis even with the elevated lyme C6 result?

I’m also wondering if there’s something new going on with these horrible ticks and if others are noticing any correlation like this.

Yara:
I currently have a dog that has terminal cancer. We are doing a lot for him and he has now lived well over his prognosis. We were wondering what else we can do as he slows down and also thinking in the future about prevention.

What are the best herbs and supplements for cancer killing as well as prevention?

What is the best diet and nutrition in fighting cancer and also for future prevention?

What are things to avoid in nutrition and other environmental things?

Kerri:
Nutrition for a pet with cancer
Benefits of a raw diet for pets with cancer
Flea, tick and heartworm meds contributing to cancer?
Genetic environmental or both?
What actions can be taken to prevent cancer in our pets?
Does Turmeric actually assist with the prevention of some cancers?
I’m hearing about many goldens with MCT. Genetic?

Marsha:
Are you familiar with Apocaps or K9 Immunity? What about golden paste? Is anything contraindicated for a dog on Palladia (chemo)? Can you combine chemo and homeopathy?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Let's start with Laurie and Trease's questions in this message.

Laurie-

You're right, your answer depends on the context.

In the case of a skin eruption/lump that comes up during treatment, the vet homeopath would evaluate it, which is just a scary symptom, in context.

In addition to location, other factors such as BEAM, development of the eruption compared to dosing, whether it is a new lump, growing, changing, sensitive, etc. all need to be known and taken into consideration.

If you're a Gold member, please post the other details here, otherwise we can discuss other specifics whenever we talk next.

Thanks for asking.

Trease-

What a fantastic question!

The answer to your question is best understood by looking at the immune system as a continuum.

Similar to the spectrum that has severe non-communicative autism on one end, and mild Asperger's on the other, cancer is on one end of immune dysfunction, allergy is at the other end, and auto-immune dis-ease is in the middle.

Here's one common case example in a Golden pup.

The 7 week young pup goes to the vet for puppy shots, and a few weeks later develops an ear "infection".

This is treated conventionally, so is suppressed using an anti-biotic/anti-inflammatory ointment.

Her symptom resolves but her cellular energy and cell communication worsen.

Over her first few months and years, her ear problem may flare-up and get treated a few times.

And eventually, even though her ear may be better, the immune dysregulation is worse.

The internal immune imbalance becomes more widespread and she develops an allergy.

As the allergy symptoms get treated over time, with stronger and stronger drugs using higher and higher doses, her immune balance may worsen even further or get triggered by a bug such as Lyme.

And seemingly suddenly, an auto-immune dis-ease develops.

This is really just a much more severe, and potentially life-threatening, manifestation of the original ear problem.

Her fever is one of the primary ways of trying to heal and fight infection.

Fever itself, even 106, is rarely dangerous.

However the underling cause of the fever, her energetic imbalance, is potentially serious.

To me the best HA! for fever is to work with her body to understand the fever in context.

As with the case of Laurie's tumor above, her fever symptoms would need lots of clarification.

Bottom line is homeopathy, fluids or other support depending on her other symptoms.

Again, the definitive answer would depend on the context...

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Pam-

Cats thrive on keto diet that is high in meat and love the extra fat.

However, I am not aware of any cat-specific information regarding kitty keto. :cat2:

Lesley-

I'm sorry to hear about your pup's splenic tumor.

All of the recommendations that were discussed on the cancer webinar and in the upcoming cancer ebook are designed to optimize quality of life.

If you work with a vet homeopath or holistic vet then these recommendations can be individualized.

Perhaps focus on increasing outdoor activity (especially in areas with lots of plants and high negative ion air) with play and sniff walks.

Also consider using OncoSupport and broccoli sprout extract + the kale-blueberry smoothie (search the forum for the recipe).

Above all, love him up! ?

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Joanne asked:
Our Irish Wolfhound 6 y.o. was diagnosed with Lymphoma Oct. 1. He is takes Prednisone and Metronidazole. He has always been on a cancer prevention diet as we are familiar with bone cancer (two IW passed away from it).
Is there anything we can do more to improve his quality of life?

You may already have a lot of the answers if you were on the Monday Empower Hour, or reviewed it.

How is his BEAM (quality of life?).
How has it changed since the symptoms appeared and after drugs started?
The following are a few to do:
1. Start with Pranayama - breathing and sniffing.
2. Find a person to offer Reiki and take a class as soon as you can, and begin even before by reading Kathleen Prasad's site. Offer it daily
3. Review your diet - not every dog thrives on one particular diet.
4. Consider using ozone at home if no one near by.
5. work with the microbiome (good bacteria in the gut) with probiotics, prebiotics and fecal transplants.
6. Most importantly, begin now to work with a homeopathic vet (can help by phone) or a very well trained acupuncture (TCVM) vet.
Dr. Christina

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Yara asked:
I currently have a dog that has terminal cancer. We are doing a lot for him and he has now lived well over his prognosis. We were wondering what else we can do as he slows down and also thinking in the future about prevention.

What are the best herbs and supplements for cancer killing as well as prevention?

What is the best diet and nutrition in fighting cancer and also for future prevention?

What are things to avoid in nutrition and other environmental things?

How wonderful, Yara, that he is doing better than expected and that you are looking for even more.

Gail Pope, one of our faculty members, is doing extensive holistic work now with hospice for many species and has several ebooks on living well with a terminal diagnosis. For decades she adopted 16 year old and older cats, using homeopathy, fresh food and much more.

Some lived to over 30. Check out her Brighthaven site and think of doing a consult with her by phone.

If not already, working with a veterinary homeopath, chiropractor or veterinary osteopath (as we slow, our bodies need more muscular/fascial/joint support), acupuncture veterinarian can sometimes turn them completely around, and can definitely help with quality of life.

The pranayama we suggested on Monday's empower hour (2 weeks ago) can be started right now.

Definitely review both empower hours, and keep checking this thread as they speak to both keeping up quality of life and preventing cancer.

Most importantly, know there is no one right answer, so keep looking for more things to try, then evaluate if they are deeply helping because there will be an improvement in well being (BEAM - behavior, energy, appetite and mood).

Dr. Christina

JoannC

All-Access Member
Registered
Dr Jeff and Dr Christina,
I was going to order more cbd for Teddy and noticed that they have changed the mg amount????.
It was and what I am currently giving Teddy is from a bottle that has 375 mg and now it’s

Endocannabinoid System Support for Pets
450 mg Phyto-Cannabinoids and Terpenes.

Do I need to readjust his dosing? I give 2 mg in small pill like food directly in his mouth, then another 1.5 mixed in his food, which sometimes he does not lick the plate 2 times a day so for sure I know it’s about 2 mg 2x a day. What would that equal from this new bottle dose change.

Teddy is very sensitive to any changes as you know, I don’t know why they changed the concentration.
Please your thoughts on this increase in concentration and any changes from the plant would be so helpful to know because Teddy really depends on CBD. Thank you.

JoannC

All-Access Member
Registered
I received this afternoon a call back from the manager at Wellpet dispensary and she was very kind and helpful. She went the extra mile to actually talk with Dr Silver who stated that the actual dose per drop HAS NOT changed, just the amount in the bottle. So the old bottle which is what I am using right now has 375 mg in .83 cc, the new bottle has 450 mg because it is a greater volume. I had the math checked and each drop is the same as the bottle I am using, 1 drop equals .5mg.

This company really cares about the health of pets, I was so happy and thankful she took the time with me. I just wanted to share this information for anyone else who is ordering Hemp RX, no change only more in the bottle. ?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for sharing Joanne, yes Rx Vitamins and Dr. Silver is awe-some. :thumbsup:

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom