• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

RASH AND ITCHY DOG

Whitwelch

All-Access Member
Registered
SIREN HAS A RASH ON HER BELLY AND SHE IS CHEWING ON HERSELF. I AM NOT SURE YET WHAT IT IS FROM, EITHER A NEW WATER HOLE WHERE SHE SWAM OR MAYBE A NEW FOOD WHICH I STARTED OVER 2 WEEKS AGO. I DONT THINK ITS THE FOOD. I HAVE TRIED RHUS TOX AND APIS, NEITHER ONE HAS HELPED A LOT. HER BEAM IS GREAT. THANKS

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Whit-

Has she been bathed since going in the new water hole? If not, you may want to try a soothing shampoo next:

Whitwelch

All-Access Member
Registered
OK THANKS, BUT IN THE MEANTIME IS THERE A REMEDY I SHOULD TRY FOR THE ITCHING RELIEF? OR SHOULD CONSECUTIVE RHUS TOX WORK IF I GIVE IT 15-30 MINUTES APART? THANKS

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
It's difficult to choose homeopathic medicines primarily on itch.

Are there any other (even if subtle) changes or symptoms? I

f the rash looks like that of Poison Ivy then yes, you can certainly try 3 doses of Rhus 30 minute apart.

MauraF

All-Access Member
Registered
My heart goes out to you and Siren. Allergies - A Big Struggle was written by Theresa Schwartz Osborn who runs Lone Star Shih Tzu and Lhasa apso Rescue in TX. She has used this protol on hundreds of dogs. Certainly worth a try.

Allergies - A Big Struggle

Skin allergy symptoms (scratching and itching) are something a lot of shih tzu owners struggle with. Many times, skin problems are indicative of underlying system issues - you need to rule out liver and kidney issues, thyroid issues and potential cushings. Once the vet has eliminated these things, I’ve had a lot of success with this approach to dealing with allergies.

First I’ve switched to a food with no wheat, no corn and no soy. Also no preservatives and no dyes. These are the things that might cause allergies in our dogs. There are a lot of brands that you can try - several are even carried by the big-box stores. Just check the labels. You do not want to see the words wheat, corn or soy in the ingredients.

The diet and supplement approach to solving skin issues is simply to build up the dog's immune system. Sometimes it can take up to six months to completely detoxify the dog, so be patient.

Allergy symptoms that manifest in the skin are usually caused by a low immune system. If you boost the immune system, the dog can handle the allergens. I've had unbelievable success by simply adding ester C, a good multi vitamin(Berte’s daily blend) and omega 3 (salmon oil or The Missing Link) to their food daily.
I’ve also had a lot of good luck giving the dogs echinacea and l-lysine for a few weeks every few months. Also helps build up their immune systems.

My Nena suffered from horrible allergy symptoms. Her back side was constantly matted from chewing and scratching. She was getting a steroid shot every three months and was on benadryl constantly. My vet told me I was going to kill her if I kept her on the steroids. I researched allergies and discovered the correlation with a low immune system. I started her on the above supplements twice daily and within three weeks, she completely stopped itching and scratching. She lived to be 14 years old and NEVER had another steroid shot in her life.

I've only found success when these supplements are given consistently on a day-by-day basis. The target dosage is 500 mg daily for fish oil and 500 mg daily for the ester C, divided into two doses - one am and on pm. The dog multi-vitamins will have the appropriate dose on them. IMPORTANT: start with a tiny amount of Ester C. I started with 25 mg two times a day and slowly built up to 250 mg two times a day. Its important to give Ester C twice a day since it's water soluable and only stays in the system for a few hours.

This is NOT a quick fix. It's like you starting to eat healthy and take vitamins after living for years on fast food. YOU MUST keep the supplements up every day. Minimum time to start noticing a difference is 3-4 weeks and sometimes six months. This is fixing the problem from the inside out. It is FOR LIFE.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for sharing this great reminder about the importance of diet and supplements like vit C, omega-3 fatty acids, etc. in balancing the immune system! Super support while the body does its' job (of trying to stay balanced) is critical.

Allergy symptoms that manifest in the skin are usually caused by a low immune system
Sort of (IMHO). Allergic symptoms (like itching, rashing, ear problems, etc.) are signs of immune hyper-sensitivity.

The awe-some supplements you mentioned work by helping balance the immune system so it's less sensitive to allergic triggers (like pollens, foods, etc.).

Theresa is writing about how useful it is (in allergies, etc. ) to practice TOP (Terrain Optimizing Protocol) for prevention and management of dis-ease (imbalance):

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom