• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Possible insect bite

AliceR

Registered
Hello,
I was hiking with my dog, Reese, on leash in the woods this morning. We were on a narrow path and vegetation was high, mostly sagebrush and grasses. There was some foxtail but I believe there wasn't any right where the incident happened.

Reese made an irritable sound and turned his head back. I stopped and opened his mouth and saw nothing, so we continued on. At the top of the hill, he stopped to poop, normal formed stool with mucous. Both my dogs had bouts of very watery diarrhea with mucous on the previous 2 Sunday nights. Was treating with Perfect Form from Honest Kitchen, different herbs and pumpkin.

After his stool, Reese lied down. I went to him, checked his mouth and his gums were very pale. We were about 20 min. from the car. I called him to get up and he walked slowly. At one point he seemed to try to vomit. His energy picked up as we walked and gums returned to normal pink color. He seemed normal in the car.

However, took him to local vet. Told them what happened and she wanted an X-ray as she said that older dogs can start bleeding internally. He had rbc issues in 2015 and my vet removed his spleen, which was enlarged. He is 10 yrs.

On xray she noted that his colon was spasming, I mentioned the diarrhea, but she thought this was an allergic reaction and gave a steroid shot. Also said to give Benadryl. I gave him one this afternoon. She seemed to imply that the reaction could come back. She said that an allergic reaction could happen with outer swelling or it could go internally and affect the GI tract.

He seems fine now, mostly resting and I am supposed to report to them how he is doing. Any thoughts on this scary episode would be appreciated. I know that Apis is for bites, shall I give him a dose on top of the other medication?

Thank you,
Alice

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, this sure sounds like an allergic response to a bug bite!

It's very effective to dose Apis right away if this ever happens again.

Then head to the vet (but Reese may be fine by the time you get there).

Apis and Arnica should accompany you on all hikes!

AliceR

Registered
Hi Dr. Jeff,
I have one other question about Apis.

Do I dose if I think he got stung, or do I wait for a reaction before I give him a dose.

I didn't actually see an insect, I just thought it was a possibility when I checked his mouth.

Thank you,
Alice

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, you can dose right away after a possible sting.

If you haven't already, definitely dose as soon as you see any swelling, redness, or other symptoms of an allergic reaction.

AliceR

Registered
Is it true that even if no outward swelling, dogs can have a reaction in their GI tract, such as the spasming colon?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, there can be unseen (internal) signs of a reaction which is why it's good to dose after a bite regardless of swelling.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
The main difference between 6c and 30c is the frequency you would need to give it. 6c after a bite would be every 5 minutes for 4 or 5 doses, 30c you could give 1 dose if no symptoms.
Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom