• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

New Vegan Dog food

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Below is a 3/15/18 article about a new (in 2018) novel protein source vegan diet. That could be appropriate for some hypersensitive (to other protein sources) pets.

I just read this article today (3/16/18) so don't have many details about it yet. As I learn more, I'll let everyone know.

Dr. Jeff

E

eileenthoma

I would really like to hear more, but must say that my first impression is that I do not think vegan is species appropriate. The foundation of health is a species appropriate diet and I feel that we are going backwards in that regard...just my initial thoughts ..

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Eileen-

I agree with you Eileen.

However this can become more of a quality of life question than anything.

Some diets, e.g the keto diet or vegan diet, can temporarily improve (and palliate) symptoms.

It's important to continue treating the underlying energetic disorder with homeopathy. At the same time.

Because unlike what Dr. Dodds shared on Monday's Empower Hour, this sensitivity (allergy or intolerance) can resolve.

My own experience is just one recent example.

Stay tuned for more...

Dr. Jeff

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Eileen, I also agree that vegan or vegetarian diets are not species appropriate for dogs and cats. I have seen serious illness resulting from these diets. I do try to be open-minded, as when I graduated from veterinary school I thought fresh food was bad. I now, however, am hearing from several veterinarians that their personal companions (dogs and cats) are thriving. I am hearing from other vets who tried it, that their animals did not do well.

Every animal is unique, so if someone wants to try a different diet in a HEALTHY animal, or as Dr. Jeff said, in an animal who is not doing well for medical reasons on the usual diet, I think it is fine. IF, and this is the big IF - you carefully monitor the BEAM and Early Warning Signs as well as annual blood work.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I was just asked in a private conversation whether feeding a vegan diet is OK for pets.

My reply was "sort of".

Unlike a varied meat-based (and species appropriate) diet, vegan diets are more likely to be imbalanced and create a deficiency.

This is one place where the risk:benefit leans towards feeding a commercial (processed and low Vitality) food like V-dog:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Here is Dr. Christina's reply in that same vegan diets for dogs conversation:

Dr. Pitcairn and a number of the veterinarians he has trained are now recommending a vegan or vegetarian diet for two reasons. 1. to have a lower concentration of pollutants and 2. to raise less meat animals (often done in a way that is harmful to animals and planet).

In 30 years of my practice the only 2 dogs who were fed vegetarian (and I did not know enough to properly coach them except to recommend feeding meat) both developed heart disease after a few years of the vegetarian diet.

My response to that is that if a dog is very vital and healthy, and has none of the early warning signs and a great BEAM, and you carefully research and work with vets who are feeding this to their pets, then you could try it. If any of the early warning signs develop, or any illnesses begin, add protein back in.

For several decades I have encouraged people to use the parts of animals that most Americans do not eat - trachea, heart, tripe, kidneys, liver, chicken feet, fish heads, etc. This definitely will decrease the number of animals needed to feed out pets.

Greg Tilford (author of a great book - Herbs for Pets), in the keynote address this weekend at the AHVMA conference also addressed this. He said that 30% of the world's food production is wasted (in multiple ways, including the largest percentage is from uneaten food) and it is 40% in the US. If we could find a way to stop that, we could easily feed our dogs and cats species appropriate diets and not have to raise more meat.

Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom