• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

New Fatal Respiratory Illness in Dogs 2023

Jean Messeih

Community Member
Registered
I’ve heard that there’s a highly infectious and antibiotic-resistant respiratory illness in dogs that is fatal, and that pet owners are being advised to stay away from dog parks.

What are the symptoms that dog owners need to be aware of?
Are there homeopathic remedies ?
Herbal remedies?
Essential oil remedies? (Although, to my extreme dismay, Anthony William the Medical Medium in spring 2023 put out a podcast advising against internal use of essential oils by humans. I’ve taken thyme oil, or wild oregano oil internally for my respiratory infections.)

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Or - as a trusted friend who happens to be a great homeopath often says: "Or - we could do nothing...."

The good suggestions given above are not far from how our dogs should be maintained daily - for best health and resistance. Keep those up, and you will have a strong and vital dog who can easily deal with stray microbes. Us? We LOOK for challenge:)

So don't get your panties in a knot; this is no worse a thing than any dog park or dog show "thing". Tell it to get lost....

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
The "new" disease may or may not be all that new, and it may be bacterial +/- viral involvement. This suggests that antibiotics *may* be useful but we don't know which one(s).

Untreated dogs can get very sick and some have died but it isn't universally fatal. If your dog shows worsening respiratory signs, especially cough, it may be wise to seek supportive veterinary care (fluids, oxygen, etc.).

Until we know more, it's best not to have unfamiliar dogs socializing, like at a dog park.

Homeopathic care always needs to be tailored to the exact symptoms your pet is showing.

Still, as Ginny said, our normal holistic care protocols support a strong immune system that can deal with such an infection!

LaurenHW

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
DrJudyMorgan.com has a post on her blog about the current Respiratory Illness in Dogs and Cats with a lot of great treatment plans and supplements

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom