• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Mitochondrial Supplements

ChristineL

VIP Member
Registered
Hello @Dr. Jeff - You mentioned Life Extension PQQ for mitochondrial health at today's webinar. Would you recommend it over Mitochondrial NRG? I think @GinnyW had mentioned something by Dr. Mercola as well...I would like to know which one is the most effective ... Thanks.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for asking Christine.

I would use the mitochondrial support of both supplements. That way Hope will benefit from all of the potential mitochondrial energy building.

If you'd rather just use 1 combination product Life Extension has 1 of those as well.

PQQ, CoQ-10, NAD, etc. all work together.

ChristineL

VIP Member
Registered
Thanks for asking Christine.

I would use the mitochondrial support of both supplements. That way Hope will benefit from all of the potential mitochondrial energy building.

If you'd rather just use 1 combination product Life Extension has 1 of those as well.

PQQ, CoQ-10, NAD, etc. all work together.
Thanks, Dr. Jeff - how much of each would you recommend for Hope? Which one of the combo by Life Extension were you referring to? May I trouble you to post a link? Thanks again.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Here's the Mercola product. I'm not using it yet, but strongly leaning towards it for us both:

I don't believe you could overdose - but she's awfully little:)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Ginny-

Do you know why these products contain berberine, but no other mitochondrial support?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Sorry, Christine. I don't use this product, and there's no vet dose, yet.

However, I'd probably start with 1/2 capsule/day.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Hey Ginny-

Do you know why these products contain berberine, but no other mitochondrial support?
My guess would be that he thinks other support elements are better added separately, perhaps because one can then get larger quantities than would fit in a single formula. CoQ10, or ubiquinol, is one such, and he sells a hefty ubiquinol supplement with the Berberine/PPQ, but not in a single bottle or cap. Below is a brief outline of what he sees as essential for mitochondrial health. NAD is not on the list, but, trust me, if there is justification - money to be made - the good doctor will sell it soon. I'm withholding judgment on adding NAD, as it seems to be generated by consuming good quality protein. This line of research is still quite new, but evidence points to excellent species-appropriate diet as providing much of what we need.

Certain nutrients. A number of nutrients support mitochondrial function:
  • Ubiquinol (or CoQ10) – One of the most important antioxidants for protecting mitochondrial DNA, but levels decline rapidly with age
  • Magnesium – Helps increase the efficiency of your mitochondria to repair damage and produce ATP (energy)
  • Animal based omega-3 fatty acids – Positively alter mitochondrial membrane structure and improve mitochondrial dysfunction in brain aging
  • All B vitamins (including thiamin, riboflavin, and B6) – Required as coenzymes for enzymes essential for cellular and mitochondrial function
  • Berberine – Supports mitochondrial health by activating AMPK which helps regulate energy homeostasis*
  • PQQ (Pyrroloquinoline quinone) – Helps protect mitochondria from oxidative damage and it stimulates the growth of new mitochondria*

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
This is a good start (supplement wise), tho there's absolutely other useful supplements.

Here's an NAD supplement with deep science behind it. I became aware of it through an energy and metabolism researcher at UPenn:

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
This is a good start (supplement wise), tho there's absolutely other useful supplements.

Here's an NAD supplement with deep science behind it. I became aware of it through an energy and metabolism researcher at UPenn:

Yes, I had found that one, and put it at the top of my list:)

Julie W.

VIP Member
Registered
I have been trying the Designs For Health Mitochondrial NRG
I am not sure if this is similar or different then the products mentioned above or if it's one of the products mentioned in the first post. I have not been using it consistently so I am not sure I have anything to report about the product.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Can't find that in their product list, but they have a PPQ with rhodiola. Seems to have a history of promoting energy - what doesn't, though? - but no particular link to mitochondrial function.
Footnote: I found the Mitochondrial NRG. Again, a whole lot of B vitamins and some other useful things like ALA, resveratrol, CoQ10, curcuminoids, creatine, carnitine - but nothing that seems directly targeted at mitochondria - certainly nothing we have been discussing. I already get all that stuff, and so would lean towards Basis, which is pretty much just NAD+ and its precursors. YMMV.

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Julie!

Perhaps try adding the Life Extension PQQ product to the NRG and if there is no apparent change in energy, try switching products.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Ginny: The function of PQQ in mammalian physiology remains controversial. PQQ has been proposed as a vitamin (19), but it has not been demonstrated that PQQ serves as an enzyme cofactor in mammalian tissues (20, 21). Upon appreciation that mitochondrial content can be influenced by PQQ nutritional status and that reported beneficial effects of PQQ may be directly related to mitochondrial function, we hypothesized that PQQ may induce mitochondrial biogenesis through a mitochondrial-related cell signaling mechanism.

From;

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom