• Your logins to the main site and to this support forum are NOT the same. To get access to this forum, you must be a ALL-ACCESS member (register here). You will receive login information the day you register. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please use the Contact us form. First time posting? Watch this video and Follow this posting guide

Looking for a good local puppy trainer?

Betty

All Access Member
Hello everyone,
Just wondering if anyone can recommend a local dog trainer that they like. I am in Norwalk. 6 1/2 month old shih tzu puppy is having issues since 3-4 weeks ago with barking at everything and reactivity to other dogs. He wants to go up to other dogs, says hello and then starts this screeching-barking thing and won't back off. This is making it hard to go anywhere with him, including walks in my neighborhood. He has been socialized since he was 3 months old so I am not sure what is going on. Any guidance or help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Betty

Dr. Christina

Veterinarian
what a challenge, Betty, when you thought you had done enough socializing. I do not know locals.
You may want to contact an animal communicator to see if your pup knows why he is doing this. Maybe drive him elsewhere for walks until you figure this out, so you and he can enjoy yourselves, even if no other dogs are around.

Also, there are some good trainers who are now working on-line if you cannot find one locally.

Dr. Christinna

@jenbridwell may have some suggestions

heart500

All Access Member
Hello everyone,
Just wondering if anyone can recommend a local dog trainer that they like. I am in Norwalk. 6 1/2 month old shih tzu puppy is having issues since 3-4 weeks ago with barking at everything and reactivity to other dogs. He wants to go up to other dogs, says hello and then starts this screeching-barking thing and won't back off. This is making it hard to go anywhere with him, including walks in my neighborhood. He has been socialized since he was 3 months old so I am not sure what is going on. Any guidance or help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Betty
I have used Michelle Douglas, CPDT-KA, CDBC of The Refined Canine, LLC in Hamden, at different times during the past decade, for varying issues with my four dogs with great success. You can call and discuss what is taking place and see if she will travel to Norwalk for you. Michelle is gentle, patient, knowledgeable and loves and respects every 4-legged fur kid. My girls love her. She makes learning fun and their attitude is 'What else can I do for you?" A joy to behold! When implemented, her modifications last. Please let us know how you make out. About — The Refined Canine, LLC.
Online Behavior History Form; Behavior Consulting — The Refined Canine, LLC

Betty

All Access Member
I have used Michelle Douglas, CPDT-KA, CDBC of The Refined Canine, LLC in Hamden, at different times during the past decade, for varying issues with my four dogs with great success. You can call and discuss what is taking place and see if she will travel to Norwalk for you. Michelle is gentle, patient, knowledgeable and loves and respects every 4-legged fur kid. My girls love her. She makes learning fun and their attitude is 'What else can I do for you?" A joy to behold! When implemented, her modifications last. Please let us know how you make out. About — The Refined Canine, LLC.
Online Behavior History Form; Behavior Consulting — The Refined Canine, LLC
Thanks for the suggestion and I will definitely reach out to her. Louis is such a great guy, but just needs some tweaking at this precious age. Since you have shih tzu's you know how they all have their own unique quirks. :)

Betty

All Access Member
what a challenge, Betty, when you thought you had done enough socializing. I do not know locals.
You may want to contact an animal communicator to see if your pup knows why he is doing this. Maybe drive him elsewhere for walks until you figure this out, so you and he can enjoy yourselves, even if no other dogs are around.

Also, there are some good trainers who are now working on-line if you cannot find one locally.

Dr. Christinna

@jenbridwell may have some suggestions
Thank you for the suggestions Dr. Christina. I think the best solution is a trainer as he is still so young and we can hopefully correct his behavior before he becomes a full adult. I've gotten a couple of trainer suggestions so I will let everyone know how that goes.
Betty

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Top Bottom