• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Lola ate a lot of garlic

jumstead1023

All-Access Member
Registered
For any of you who follow my bad Labrador Lola you will know how many things she steals and eats. Today I left a sealed container of 180 tabs of garlic/yeast in a sealed bag on the counter for my daughter to pick up for her dogs. The bottle for my dogs was up in the pantry safe. Well Lola got it and ate 119 tablets. Two weeks ago she ate a bunch of grapes so I gave her Arsenicum album for two days. I also ran bloodwork which came back perfect. I’m assuming I should do the same?
As usual it’s my fault again.

65794048-CAE6-4D9A-AA4A-95F01D0ECCC0.jpeg

BDB49966-D858-473B-B42F-A15EED5BB1F6.jpeg

985954D6-3FBC-4F0B-8E6C-6D4427EC1BD1.jpeg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hiya Judy!

If there are no symptoms at this time from the high dose (119,000mg!), please make up and give her a 10/1 tsp. dose of Nux vomica 30c (even though you might have given Ars this am).

Repeat before bed.

You might also want to recheck a CBC in 1-2 weeks to see if there are any changes since the last (and recent) tests.

jumstead1023

All-Access Member
Registered
She has been ok but just vomited once at 9 pm 1/2 hour after second dose. She is now resting

jumstead1023

All-Access Member
Registered
Hiya Judy!

If there are no symptoms at this time from the high dose (119,000mg!), please make up and give her a 10/1 tsp. dose of Nux vomica 30c (even though you might have given Ars this am).

Repeat before bed.

You might also want to recheck a CBC in 1-2 weeks to see if there are any changes since the last (and recent) tests.
She vomited again at 9:30 and 10:00 pm

jumstead1023

All-Access Member
Registered
She ate breakfast at 4 am because she hadn’t vomited since last night. I probably shouldn’t have fed her because she vomited again at 8 am. I’m going to fast her the rest of the day?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes!

Fasting is safest whenever there is vomiting.

Then gradual re-introduction of food using 1/2 the usual amount.

She won't be happy about this, but then you can see how she does.

What did she eat at 4 and what did she vomit at 8?

jumstead1023

All-Access Member
Registered
She ate her cup of raw but when she vomited it looked like the brown tablets.
She has been fine since

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
That is good that she vomited up more of the brown tablets.

How has her BEAM been through all of this?
When she ate the grapes was there any change?
Animals needing Arsenicum tend towards fearfulness, anxiety, fastidiousness (she does not look like any of those) and Nux are over sensitive to noise, touch, etc.

Dr. Jeff - do you think this urge to eat everything is evidence of an imbalance of the vital force or merely who Lola is?

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Dr. Christina!

My assessment is that Lola's voracity is a combination of individuality and imbalance.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
for those concerned about feeding garlic, this is a great story.

Lola's vomiting was probably from the large amount of tablets ingested more than a sensitivity to garlic or any of the other ingredients. She showed none of the classic garlic toxicity symptoms of blood problems.

After cleansing her system of the overload, she was fine.

Most animals are fine with, and benefit from, eating garlic.

Dr. Christina

Deena

All-Access Member
Registered
Dr Jeff & Christina - in a case like this, would you recommend to induce vomiting upon discovery or give activated charcoal if you had on hand? Or is it best to dose with a remedy best matching symptoms?

Judy - please give yourself grace. It was an accident. The studies "proving" garlic causes anemia required ridiculously high amounts of garlic, like 5% of dogs total body weight given over time, to show negative side effects.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom