• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Liver issues in my cat

EdwinA

VIP Member
Registered
My cat Casper started producing bright yellow urine about ten weeks ago. Looking back, I think he'd been a bit off his food for a little while beforehand, and lacking a bit of energy. A few days later he went off his food almost completely and just sat in the same spot on the sofa all day. We managed to get him eating a reasonable amount by trying out all the commercial foods from the surrounding shops (he usually eats fresh organic chicken thighs and salmon plus a bit of cod).

Based on the bright yellow urine, we assumed he had a liver issue. After a few days and some research, I started giving him some supplements in a syringe a couple of times a day - silymarin, SAMe, vitamin C, liquorice, dandelion, fulvic/humic minerals, B vitamins, resveratrol, astragalus and possible a couple of others. He developed a cough and we were worried he may have inhaled some of the liquid from the syringe so we went to the local vet to get it checked out as I read some horror stories online about aspiration pneumonia. The vet said there was nothing in his lungs but said his liver was swollen and did some blood tests. They showed up a problem with the liver: high bilirubin, high enzymes, high total blood protein. The rest was okay apart from slightly elevated creatinine. This can, I understand, suggest some kidney weakness, but can also indicate dehydration (I don't think he was dehydrated, though) or a high-protein diet, and he definitely has a high protein diet (pure fresh organic meat, usually). The vet wanted to start the invasive diagnostic procedures - biopsy, scans (requiring anaesthesia) etc. - but we don't believe in that approach.

I continued the supplement regime - this time making up a capsule instead of using liquid. Three times a day I have been giving him an acid-resistant capsule containing SAMe, silymarin, low-dose resveratrol (apparently more effective), liposomal vitamin C, liposomal glutathione, liposomal curcumin (all apparently efficacious LipoCellTech powders), vitamin E, methylated B vitamins, reishi, cordyceps, astaxanthin, pycnogenol, zinc and astragalus. I also add taurine, carnitine, arginine, choline and ubiquinol to his "natural" (a hormone-free, pesticide-free and preservative-free chicken breast food called Applaws) commercial food. I put a little blob of fresh (recently thawed, refrigerated) royal jelly on his nose a couple of times a day. I also got a high-power near infrared light which I use once a day on either side of his abdomen, and I use our iMRS very low-intensity PEMF system on him twice a day too. A well-respected homeopath from India called Dr Makker, who I reached out to, took his case and suggested some remedies which I followed: Phosphorous and Cholcicum, plus Absinthum later on, then Chelidonium on my suggestion.

About six weeks after day one, Casper suddenly improved. Instead of lying on the floor all day on our mini BioMat, he one evening decided to jump up on just about every surface in the house, and returned to his normal affection levels, coming onto my lap. His appetite stabilised (albeit only now accepting the new commercial food), and he has been pretty much like that for the last month. He has put some weight on having lost quite a bit.

One strange - or maybe totally expected - thing is that Casper has always had some skin irritation: an itchy shoulder blade which he sometimes scratches till it bleeds, frequently itchy ears and feline acne round his chin. But before the liver symptoms appeared, the skin conditions completely vanished - no itching, no acne. So, in homeopathic terms, perhaps the disease went inwards? Or the stronger liver disease overwhelmed the more superficial skin problems? Since he's seemed better, the skin symptoms have all come back - he's got a scab on his back where he's scratched it. Having tried so many things to get rid of the skin issues (switching diet to eliminate chicken, herbal supplements like nettle, colloidal silver etc.), I'm now glad to see them come back.

However, his urine is still yellow. And the last couple of days it has been very foamy (it had been a bit bubbly for a while). Also, for the past week he has been having occasional sips of water. When he was less himself for the first six weeks, he occasionally had a couple of days where he would sip some water, but this stopped when his energy and vibrancy recovered, until this past week. I've tested his urine with dipsticks multiple times and the bilirubin seems to have come right down (apparently vitamin c can give a false negative, but only at lower levels of bilirubin, so there would definitely seem to be an improvement in this) so the yellow wee is a mystery. Also, there only seems to be trace protein. Usually, foaminess is attributed to protein (though I've read a study that disputes this), so this is a bit of a mystery too. Also, the dipsticks sometimes show blood in the urine, but sometimes not. I routinely pause the supplements and his urine is still yellow, so I don't think it's the vitamin C or B complex.

So I'm wondering: Does this point to an infection? An exacerbation of the liver issues? A kidney problem expressing itself now the liver issue is better (his creatinine was slightly raised, but his specific gravity is good according to the dipsticks)? A healing response? Could one or more of the supplements or treatments have had an unwanted or too-powerful effect?

When Casper suddenly perked up he had been having the Chelidonium 30c. I stopped this to let any healing response play out. I have been occasionally giving him a dose when I think his symptoms have got a bit worse or not been improving. I have today just given him one dose of Sulphur 200c as I read in a materia medica that Sulphur can "complete the work" of Chelidonium, and can also act as an intercurrent remedy, for complicated cases, or ones that go backwards and forwards.

Any thoughts, anyone? I'd be really grateful.

Thank you.

X

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Edwin, thanks for the fantastic post and beautiful pic of Casper.

It's amazing how much you are doing for him. It all sounds wonderful.

How old is Casper?

Has he had any prior issues of any sort? Prior treatments, vaccinations, homeopathic medicines, etc?

EdwinA

VIP Member
Registered
Hi Dr Jeff.

Thanks so much for your reply! I think your advice on this site is amazing. I've just registered for my free monthly appointment with you, so thanks for that as well!

I think Casper is about 11. We adopted him from a friend of a friend who was going to put him and his brother-from-another-mother in a home so she could move abroad. We thought they could get separated as his brother Smudge is a (v commercial-looking) rag doll and Casper is deaf and quite loud (but completely beautiful and a gorgeous personality - but you know what humans are like). So we don't know his exact history except the previous owner said they had been very healthy. But she did have them vaccinated, probably annually - we don't have them vaccinated.

The only homeopathy he has had would be what we've given him in the last nine/ten weeks. Phosphorous and Cholcicum at first, then added Absinthum. Tried Chelidonium at the same time, then changed to just Chelidonium around the time he seemed to get better. The Indian homeopath who has been advising me (for free, despite my insistence) also suggested a liver tonic, which I haven't received yet from India, and Carduus Marianus MT and Staphysagria, neither of which I have given yet. I've paused all treatments last two days to see what happens. Today I gave Sulphur 200c to "complete the work" of the Chelidonium, hopefully.

Thank you so much for your help and concern, and the great website!

Edwin x

EdwinA

VIP Member
Registered
Oh, and just the skin issues I mentioned in the post above: acne, itchy ears and shoulder blades. His kidneys have always felt very palpable to me but he's quite a chunky fellow and I've always felt he just has a lot of stuff in his abdomen. His creatinine was 178mmol in his blood test, but urea and phosphorus were normal. His urine dipstick shows only trace (or sometimes a tad higher) protein and normal specific gravity. But he has periodically sipped water over the last ten weeks, and in the last week had a few sips every day.

Last edited:

EdwinA

VIP Member
Registered
Oh, one other thing, Dr Jeff. Recently, I've been adding Transfer Factors to his food.

x

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're very welcome, Edwin!

It's a privilege to get to work together through HA!

Thanks so much for your time and I look forward to our call.

EdwinA

VIP Member
Registered
Great! I’m looking forward to it too!

In the meantime, do you think there’s anything I should stop doing or should try? Any major do’s or don’t’s? We’re not meeting till March so I’d be super grateful for any general guidance you can give me till then.

Thanks so much!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're very welcome, Edwin.

Thanks for asking about what more you can do!

My advice is to focus on BEAM, and not specific symptoms like his fluctuating urine color and foaminess.

Keep working on introducing more fresh/vital foods into his diet. Also promote purring and play. The restricted breathing of purring is like ujjayi pranayama, which helps activate healing.

These are powerful strategies that raise cellular energy and can improve health and happiness.

Yes, the skin eruptions can be a very good sign. Especially if his energy, happiness, appetite and quality of life remain better.

EdwinA

VIP Member
Registered
I think that’s amazing advice and I’m going to follow it! Thank you!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom