• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Lenticular sclerosis...reversable?

ckraham

Community Member
Registered
Hi! I think that this was talked about in one of the webinars or talks...I have a ten year old spayed female Saluki who is starting to show signs of lenticular sclerosis. Any suggestions as to how to boost her eye health and eye muscle health? She actually has very sensitive eyes in general. Strengthen the BEAM? I do not feel ten is old for a Saluki and my eleven and a half year old intact male does not have this (I have found that neutering affects the BEAM in general and they age out more quickly...but with that knowledge I want to make things even healthier for her).

Any ideas appreciated. I do remember it being discussed...just can't remember when or what was said specifically

Cassandra

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Cassandra-

Yes, eye health and lenticular sclerosis (also called nuclear sclerosis or "cataracts") has been discussed, but I also don't recall specifically where.

Usually, this can be seen as a greying or clouding of the eyes and is from a thickening of the lens of the eye.

It typically occurs gradually over time and does not cause any visual deficits or other problems. Definitely not sensitivity.

In what is your pup very sensitive?

Yes! In general, improving her BEAM is the key, but in what way is it not great?

As you mentioned your pup is only in Saluki middle age, so should still be great in all ways.

In general for eye support, Ocluvet, lubricating drops (like Remend with hyaluronic acid) and the Holistic Pet Support supplement "Eye Care" are useful.

Also, in her cataract thread, Michelle talks about a potentially useful drop called Can-C.

Please let us know if there is anything else going on with her and post any pictures of her eyes.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Which of your energy treatment modalities have you tried with her, Cassandra?
Dr. Christina

ckraham

Community Member
Registered
Thank you for your replies. As far as sensitivity, she has had a several instances of extreme eye infection and inflammation (requiring trip to ER a couple of times, but this was in the past). Her eyes have gone from zero to ten in the past, and she actually lost pigment around one eye due to catching it/damaging the lid (because she also lost pigment on her nose I am not sure this was a "normal" thing to happen). This has lessened over the years and after starting her with occasional acupuncture at start of seasons, she seems "cured" of this tendency (so she responds to acupuncture).

She tends towards pus filed "zits" or boils, and has an unclassified cyst, but otherwise healthy. She was a hyper-hormanal bitch (pulsatilla queen) and was spayed a year and a half ago; her quality of life has improved dramatically due to the lack of hormones but I always feel they "age" more quickly after this mid-life neutering.

She tends towards being fussy (maybe a preference?), has anal glands that need manual expression (I believe there is a connection to the eyes?), and tends towards being fearful/skittish, though this has improved after the spay and also after gaining status in the house after losing older dogs.

She has a grade two heart murmur on one side, and between a one and two on the other. I believe being stressed/fearful for many years of being dominated by my older dogs

Her structure is flawless...rarely needs any chiro work.

As far as healing modalities, she enjoys Reiki and I have sone some T-Touch (just what I know) with her. I realize flower essences would be good for her.

I will look into the eye supplement; I would be afraid to put drops in her eyes because she has reacted so strongly to drops in the past (I think I tried eyebright drops).

Thank you again.I will try to phptograph her eye in daytime light.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Since she has responded well to acupuncture, maybe you could have your acupuncturist address all the remaining issues (and then you can do acupressure on those points):
Lenticular sclerosis
Anxiety/fearful/skittish
Anal glands
Zits and cyst
Murmur

Any comments from intuitive?

Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom