• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Is chiropractic ever contraindicated for a dog

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Yesterday JJ had chiropractic, she uses the activator. The last time he had it was a couple months ago when the vet did acupuncture and I did not feel he did well (he was limping and seemed depressed). He has been getting laser only since then. So yesterday she did the chiropractic again and today he is limping pretty bad again. So is chiropractic ever contraindicated. JJ has spondylosis. I am getting very discouraged with things. Back in 2013 I had an old dog and I had chiropractic done on him. After that, he was never able to get up again on his own without me hoisting him up with a strap to support his back end. So why are doctors doing treatments that make a dog worse? I later read after the dog from 2013 that chiro should not be done on older dogs. The vet from 2013 was not the vet I use now. But it breaks my heart to continue to take my dogs for things that hurt them. It is depressing to watch JJ now, just a repeat of a few months ago with the limping. The vet said she took a course to get certified during the lockdown but she was manipulating my dogs before then. Seems her techniques is worse after her "certification" Prior to that I did not notice a problem with the dogs. BTW, my Gabby was ALSO limping a few months ago when she got adjusted. Think I won't be doing that or acupuncture anymore with this vet. Maybe with spondylosis the back is not supposed to be moved around? I am asking....Thanks.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Sorry for the slow reply Lil. :(

Did the vet radiologist (or your vet) say that JJ had moderate-severe spondylosis.

Has he been >90% at any time in the past 6 months?

I ask because this will help determine what to expect from any treatment.

You're exactly right to avoid any intervention that seems to make JJ (or Gabby) worse.:thumbsup:

Does he improve for awhile (or at all) after a session with the activator?

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
I'd say it would be possible to be a little stiff and sore the day after, especially if it's been a long time since an adjustment. But this should clear up in a day or two. If a dog is consistently coming up sore after each fairly closely spaced sessions I would be concerned. You see, if an adjustment is a large change - something really needed put back right - there would be soreness but a much better alignment going forward. Naturally, if there were a long interval between big adjustments, the possibility of a bit of slight inflammation would be greater. I might well question your practitioner, but would also consider what the dog is bringing to the session in terms of long-put-off need. In any case, the animal should feel better in days.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Different animals and people, at different times, may need different therapies.

I have seen miraculous results of chiropractic in older dogs. There are great courses and not so great courses, just as there are practitioners who are deeply holistic and others merely using holistic approaches palliatively.

This could be a conversation to have on your free 15 call.

It may be time to shift modalities for JJ.
Are you doing hydrotherapy/swimming?
Maybe begin with a veterinary homeopath.
Dr. Christina

Cyd

All-Access Member
Registered
Through my own personal physical response to chiropractic & in particular acupuncture, especially after an extended interval of perhaps 6 months or years passing between treatments, I can attest to the power & potential effect these treatments can have on one's energy flow. With acupuncture for both my animals & me, the typical reaction is typically one of indescribable fatigue & muscle exhaustion, all you want to do is sleep for several hours, which is how the body will often respond when blockages are cleared, pain is relieved & feel-good endorphins are activated. With homeopathy I often observed this response with my dog. It has taken me a long time & a couple of challenging real-life experiences to remember this when a veterinarian offers both spinal manipulation & TCM therapies. Also, Dr. Christina has often suggested that we choose & apply 1 type of healing method at a time in order to be able to clearly identify what is creating changes, good or bad. Last year I innocently asked the vet if she could check my dog's back alignment after acupuncture treatment. I was drawn to that particular vet because she had training in the 2 holistic modalities & during previous visits when I'd ask about chiropractic, she suggested that we postpone until she felt the dog would be relaxed enough for spinal manipulation. From my own personal experiences of the overwhelming healing reaction + my innate understanding of how energetic healing works, I suppose I was more interested in the possibility of taking care of 2 conditions in 1 convenient office visit vs 2 separate trips, the drive to that office was certainly on my mind. I was thrilled that she felt my dog could be adjusted after the acupuncture. Now I know that I was playing with fire to request both treatments for a senior dog whose age at that time was unknown. Depending on one's beliefs & understanding of the nebulous realm of how energy medicine works, some might make an association to the ability of the a chiropractic adjustment performed immediately after acupuncture to initiate a vestibular syndrome episode & others would completely disagree. My sense is that with focused bodywork that healing releases a surge of energy & that in some cases certain parts of the body have a hard time of coping if the surge of healing energy is overwhelming. More recently, my newly adopted dog received her 1st chiroprachtic adjustment. A few hours later she suddenly began discharging large quantities of nasal mucus. My response was to give a homeopathic remedy, which afterward, I concluded was a huge mistake because the discharge increased so rapidly, I was worried about her "drowning" in her own mucus. I completely overlooked the fact that she had just received a healing treatment & that it is best to allow whatever healing responses to play out without interference, to let the body do what it wants or needs to do.
These real-life episodes showed me that, at least for some "small" animals that it is best to allow time in between 2 different treatment methods, that whether you, the pet parent requests the "2 for 1" or that it is
offered, that it is wise to give careful consideration before proceeding.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Interesting, Cyd. Our own integrative vet is highly trained in chiro, cranial/sacral, acupuncture, and uses a laser as well. She does these all in one session for my boy - well, I do my own laser these days - and I have never seen anything but good: no fatigue, good spirits, enhanced mobility, great appetite, etc. I also have never suffered or observed any marked reaction to a homeopathic remedy except for the action one expects, such as with big doses of Arnica for traumas, Aconite for a fear or shock. Homeopathic reactions for us seem to be a whole-body feeling of wellness the next day or so, and one entirely appropriate to the remedy and dose. Perhaps those long intervals you suffered between applications or treatments make a huge difference. Or, perhaps just "the nebulous realm of how energy medicine works". Perhaps we attract animals to ourselves based on some common attributes of our life forces: big, earthy, outgoing types vs. retiring, spiritual, more fragile ones. I'd believe that in a flash....

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I tried to find the information on his spondylosis in his records but could not find it. Maybe he just had an ultrasound when he had his spleen removed but thought he had xrays. I do not see a grading of his spondylosis. He is just slow and his gait is shortened. If he sees something outside like another dog go by he is a little faster. I just don't notice a huge improvement in JJ with treatments. He even gets the homeopathic injection of zeel and traumeel when he goes to the vet along with the laser now every 3 weeks but do not see major difference.Maybe the treatments just keep him from getting worse. If I could get him to take supplements I know he would do better. He has not wanted to walk much, maybe too hot for him. Will keep looking for xray info in his records.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
@Dr. Jeff @Dr. Christina @GinnyW @Cyd Thank you all for taking the time to convey your ideas and experiences! Here is what JJ was getting: The vet would give a shot of zeel and traumeel (I don't notice any big improvement with that either) and then do the chiropractic adjustment. Then she would do acupuncture ( we have not done acupuncture for a few months now)and while those needles were in she would do the laser. It sounds like that was all too much at one time. Also seems like the chiropractic should be done after the laser or acupuncture and not before like she is doing now. Now he goes in and gets the shot, then the chiropractic adjustment and then laser. He had not had the chiropractic for a few months prior to last week When the vet does laser in the back and around his hips, he fusses. I thought that once someone made a comment that there should be no pain with these therapies and overstretching him can cause spasm. Well JJ does fuss so maybe that is what is happening. So are there too many therapies at once. Even if I was willing to do the therapies at separate appointments, the vet would not "have time." It never even crossed my mind that doing all the therapies at once might be overwhelming. I don't really notice improvement with all he is getting. I used to notice improvement at the end of last year, but not so much now

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I don't really notice improvement with all he is getting. I used to notice improvement at the end of last year, but not so much now

Ah Lil, what a wonderful and important observation!

It may be time to move on to a different approach that may help JJ even more.

Perhaps first talk to your vet about stopping the Zeel and Traumeel injections and re-evaluating.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom