• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Hyperesthesia, seizure or both

NanW

Registered
One of our kitties, Shorty, is a happy energetic nervous 13-year-old with cerebellar hypoplasia. He’s experiencing brief 3 to 5 seconds uncontrolled episodes of thrashing about on the floor followed by biting, tugging, chewing at his coat/skin, sometimes spinning to get at the spot. Curiously these episodes began after an unknown indoor injury to his tail. (a fall? spider bite? tail caught in something?) He carried his tail downwards, a hard lump formed midway w/o abscess or bite marks. His tail is upright w/personality again. He’s now hypersensitive to any touch on his hind quarters especially on his back/flanks near his tail, w/startled jerking when touched there.
We tried an 8 week novel protein diet, & Advantage flea treatment with daily combing. His senior blood panel and x-rays were good.
We watched an excellent YouTube on Hyperesthesia by Dr. Karen Becker who mentioned possible options: acupuncture, especially chiropractic, homeopathy, DMG, CBD, and lowering noise and stress. With Dr. Jeff’s suggestion I’ve dosed aconite 30C after brief episodes.
Our veterinarian has recommended Phenobarbitol. The diagnosis isn’t clear because we don’t know if it’s actually seizure activity. We haven’t been able to capture these very brief episodes on video. We’d like to try options - if possible - without putting him at risk of inadequate treatment if these are indeed seizures. It was mentioned that subtle seizure activity can accompany Hyperesthesia.
Have folks here had successful outcomes with specific treatments to alleviate similar episodes? Thank you for the group’s valuable input >.o.<

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
You have been doing many things right to have a cat with Hypoplasia live to 13 (and beyond, we hope). Congratulations!

Definitely I have had/heard of many successes using homeopathy to cure symptoms he is now showing even we do not the trigger nor the "diagnosis".

When there are neurological problems, I would definitely avoid any chemicals (in food, Advantage, etc).

While Dr. Jeff and I sometimes suggest a homeopathic remedy that seems to fit what you tell us, deep healing with homeopathy needs you to begin (and maybe the Aconite suggestion was with an appointment) a consistent relationship with a veterinary homeopath, which usually starts with a 1-2 hour consultation by phone or in person.

Chinese medicine (acupuncture, chinese herbs, food therapy) can also be very successful, though multiple appointments for treatment over months could be a bit of problem with the corona virus restrictions.

Chiropractic, especially with the history of the tail problem could also be successful, again with at least a few repeated treatments.

Did the Aconite help at all? If not, I would suggest Hypericum 30c, 4 pellets in 1 C water. Shake 3 times before giving a drop or two on the gums (with Qtip or dropper). Give one dose a day for 3 days (unless any negative reactions), wait a week, then repeat if it helped. Hypericum is well known as an acute remedy when there has been nerve damage, especially in the mouth and the base of the tail (our coccyx). Even though the tail is now normal, the vital force has been pushed off balance, causing that sensitivity to touch.

Again, this is merely a possible help and the best prescription of a homeopathic medicine would be with a full appointment.

Dr. Christina

NanW

Registered
You have been doing many things right to have a cat with Hypoplasia live to 13 (and beyond, we hope). Congratulations!

Definitely I have had/heard of many successes using homeopathy to cure symptoms he is now showing even we do not the trigger nor the "diagnosis".

When there are neurological problems, I would definitely avoid any chemicals (in food, Advantage, etc).

While Dr. Jeff and I sometimes suggest a homeopathic remedy that seems to fit what you tell us, deep healing with homeopathy needs you to begin (and maybe the Aconite suggestion was with an appointment) a consistent relationship with a veterinary homeopath, which usually starts with a 1-2 hour consultation by phone or in person.

Chinese medicine (acupuncture, chinese herbs, food therapy) can also be very successful, though multiple appointments for treatment over months could be a bit of problem with the corona virus restrictions.

Chiropractic, especially with the history of the tail problem could also be successful, again with at least a few repeated treatments.

Did the Aconite help at all? If not, I would suggest Hypericum 30c, 4 pellets in 1 C water. Shake 3 times before giving a drop or two on the gums (with Qtip or dropper). Give one dose a day for 3 days (unless any negative reactions), wait a week, then repeat if it helped. Hypericum is well known as an acute remedy when there has been nerve damage, especially in the mouth and the base of the tail (our coccyx). Even though the tail is now normal, the vital force has been pushed off balance, causing that sensitivity to touch.

Again, this is merely a possible help and the best prescription of a homeopathic medicine would be with a full appointment.

Dr. Christina
Thank you for your suggestions. He hasn’t had an episode for a week so I’ll dose again with Aconite if one occurs, if that does not hold will switch to Hypericum as reacting to hindqtr. touch is a major symptom. I do have Standard Processd Neuroplexand

Dr. Christina
Hello, Dr. Christina ... thank you for your reply. A few initial doses of aconite 30C per DrJeff’s suggestion seems to have had a calming affect with no episodes for almost a week. I’ve also added a small daily dose of 10 mg. L-Theanine, b.i.d. I do have Standard Process Neurotrophin PMG and Neuroplex on hand from use w/another kitty if they’d be supportive for Shorty’s issues. I’d like to know more about and possibly consider full spectrum CBD. I don’t regularly use Advantage but the other more natural flea controls haven’t been effective. I don’t think he has flea allergy dermatitis but he’s super sensitive to the sensation of the bites which may trigger an episode.
If there’s a recurrence, I have Hypericum 200C. Can this potency be used but in an initial single dose rather than a series of 3?
These 2 remedies will be a starting point at least short term.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
yes to 200c one dose.
I would not try too many things at once. Either Standard Process or the CBD. Since you have the Standard Process on hand, I would start with that.
Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Nan-

As long as Shorty's BEAM remained fine, or even improved, after the Aconite, you might want to stay with it before you switch remedies.

In homeopathic care it's a good idea to stick with the last remedy, potency and dose that worked. An exception is if BEAM worsens after the dose. Also, even if the problematic symptoms resolved, if new ones arise, a new remedy may be needed.

NanW

Registered
yes to 200c one dose.
I would not try too many things at once. Either Standard Process or the CBD. Since you have the Standard Process on hand, I would start with that.
Dr. Christina
I’ll continue w/SP supplements to support nerve function. The touch of Chiropractic on hypersensitive hind quarters may possibly be too enervating (plus car trips) for now. Redhead Shorty cleans his plate, supplements and all, and will be some groundwork. Thank you :)

NanW

Registered
Hi Nan-

As long as Shorty's BEAM remained fine, or even improved, after the Aconite, you might want to stay with it before you switch remedies.

In homeopathic care it's a good idea to stick with the last remedy, potency and dose that worked. An exception is if BEAM worsens after the dose. Also, even if the problematic symptoms resolved, if new ones arise, a new remedy may be needed.
Our BEAM is good so we’ll stay with Acon-30C. It’s very helpful to have pointers from yourself and Dr. Christine re: some subtle aspects of dosing. This has been an area of confusion for me and many times prevented me from trying. Karen Allen’s e-book is a very good teaching tool.... many thanks for giving us this opportunity!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're very welcome Nan.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom