• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

How to Prevent Many Dis-eases in Your Pets

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi everyone-

This post gives you a mindful and research-proven way to prevent many dis-ease imbalances in your pets.

There are many, many case examples that I could use, but they are all from the past however the example below is happening right now.

It is also involves an animal who is close to my heart. Actually, it is my heart because the animal is me!

The scenario goes like this:

First the backstory. Last week I was doing my best to get everyone's pets squared away so I could take the day off Friday and go on a yoga retreat (which was fantastic!).

So there's potential trigger number 1. Rushing around to get things done. In and of itself, no big deal...

The health challenge part comes later.

After a late night on Thursday, I woke at 4:10am on Friday to drive to the airport.

As usual in late winter-early Spring in the NE, the plane was full of people coughing, sneezing, and sharing their germs.

Then I ended up getting much less sleep than usual when I was away, and turned around to came home on Sunday (on a plane again full of sick people) to our gorgeous renewal of the Earth.

Along with this re-growth and blooming of forsythia, azaleas, etc. come allergic triggers.

By Tuesday I was sick with the symptoms of a raging cold, fever, etc. All awe-some signs that my body was doing its job, but nevertheless, still quite uncomfortable.

Any one (or even two) of the insults to my immune system would not have caused a problem, but I had 4.

1. Stress from rushing
  2. Lack of sleep
  3. Exposure to infectious agents
  4. Exposure to potential allergens

This is relevant here because it relates directly to the HA! approach to building natural dis-ease resistance for your pets.

A single trigger alone, such as exposure to Kennel Cough or any upper respiratory bug, parvo, distemper, leukemia, a toxin, etc. is often not enough to create a problem.

Especially if your pets' immune systems are doing their jobs.

However, even a stressor like lack of sleep that may not ordinarily be a problem can become one.

When combined with others such as exposure to infectious agents.

Which brings me to a post-exposure strategy you can use.

The next time that you think your pet may be, or just was, exposed to kennel cough, play a game of fetch with him/her.

This really gets their healing Vitality (aka Prana) primed and ready to overcome the bug.

If fetch isn't feasible, then go for a vigorous walk.

The more panting the better.

This will help prevent potential problems from exposure to a bug followed by inactivity.

There are many more similar strategies that we discuss live during the Vitality and Balance Seminar.

In 2019 this will be over the May 4-5 weekend.

One of the topics we'll discuss then is acute homeopathy that you can use anytime.

Such as when you're at the dog park and your pup gets an injury, bug bite, or eats something s/he shouldn't.

Or if your kitty swells up from an allergic reaction to a food, or starts showing symptoms of a UTI.

Another personal example is when I was exposed to cholera on the island of Hispaniola (Haiti/Dominican Republic).

Haiti was having an outbreak of cholera when I went to a local Dominican resort to have lunch with a friend who works there.

My symptoms of chills, low energy, inappetance and profuse frequent diarrhea started the day before I was due to fly home.

I went to sleep pretty sure that I would not be going home the next day.

Fortunately I had made up a cup of one of the Awe-some As before bed.

Arsenicum album was indicated by my symptoms in addition to its history of saving many patients with cholera:

Ars and the 3 other Awe-some As will be the topic for our Monday 4/18/19 Empower Hour! webinar.

We can discuss the 4 valuable homeopathic "As" then and in this forum thread.

Just post your comments and questions below.

AmyFeinman

HA! Faculty
Good reminder we can understand ourselves better and apply that to our pets.

lizkunz

All-Access Member
Registered
Can heartworm be considered a potential trigger? Went to my conventional vet last week, and I got the heartworm warning. So I went back to read Vital Animals Don't Get Heartworm by Dr. Will Falconer. I purchased it many years ago from Wondercide. So in the end he was recommending a supplement to make our animals get vital. Don't worry Penny and Ernie are not on heartworm medication, but I do have routine test results to send you.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great question Liz!

It depends (but probably yes).

Most dogs eventually get heart dis-ease triggered by heartworms.

However, how long, and how many worms it takes depends on individual susceptibility, vitality and balance.

Most of what my colleague Dr. Will is talking about are strategies for improving balance, and for potentially helping increase natural resistance and decrease susceptibility.

Supplements and nosodes (like the heartworm nosode) do not build vitality.

Supplements support the mechanisms of natural immune resistance and the nosode "fills" morbid (meaning indicative of dis-ease) susceptibility to heartworm.

The nosode doesn't actually improve balance in any way but rather decreases the individuals chances of beoming ill from heartworm.

In the context of a bacteria like the agent of Kennel Cough (vs. heartworm), the nosode is helpful after potential exposure.

Personally I advise testing for heartworm every six months for dogs that go outside and aren't on "preventatives".

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Great to always question how anything may be a trigger for chronic disease, Liz.

Wonderful how the bottom line from different sources is to build vitality and balance - however that needs to be done.

The list serve for the Academy of Veterinary Homeopathy has discussed the problems with the heartworm preventative and we each have had different experiences. Personally I have seen few dogs' chronic disease triggered by the heartworm preventative. One Boston Terrier became obsessed with moving huge rocks every time he was in the yard. It stopped when the preventative was stopped. Other vets definitely saw HWP be a trigger for chronic disease.

My recommendations have varied depending on how afraid the owner is of heartworm disease. In 35 years of practice only 2 dogs developed adult heartworms - both in the same family and both recovered with no conventional drugs.

Understanding the cycle in the mosquito (if ambient temperature drops for even a few hours to under 65 degrees F, then heartworm larvae in the mosquito die) helps decide when to give preventative if you feel the need to.

Knowing that the preventative is a "morning after pill" and is only in the body for 24 hours can help you see giving it as "exposure to an acute disease". As Dr. Jeff demonstrated - one trigger is usually not enough to make an individual ill. If you do give a preventative, make sure your dog is feeling fine the day you give it, feed a great diet that day and the next, stimulate the mental and physical body, give lots of petting and love, and your dog should be fine.

Dr. Chrisitna

Dana

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi everyone-

This post gives you a mindful and research-proven way to prevent many dis-ease imbalances in your pets.

There are many, many case examples that I could use, but they are all from the past however the example below is happening right now.

It is also involves an animal who is close to my heart. Actually, it is my heart because the animal is me!

The scenario goes like this:

First the backstory. Last week I was doing my best to get everyone's pets squared away so I could take the day off Friday and go on a yoga retreat (which was fantastic!).

So there's potential trigger number 1. Rushing around to get things done. In and of itself, no big deal...

The health challenge part comes later.

After a late night on Thursday, I woke at 4:10am on Friday to drive to the airport.

As usual in late winter-early Spring in the NE, the plane was full of people coughing, sneezing, and sharing their germs.

Then I ended up getting much less sleep than usual when I was away, and turned around to came home on Sunday (on a plane again full of sick people) to our gorgeous renewal of the Earth.

Along with this re-growth and blooming of forsythia, azaleas, etc. come allergic triggers.

By Tuesday I was sick with the symptoms of a raging cold, fever, etc. All awe-some signs that my body was doing its job, but nevertheless, still quite uncomfortable.

Any one (or even two) of the insults to my immune system would not have caused a problem, but I had 4.

1. Stress from rushing
  2. Lack of sleep
  3. Exposure to infectious agents
  4. Exposure to potential allergens
This is relevant here because it relates directly to the HA! approach to building natural dis-ease resistance for your pets.

A single trigger alone, such as exposure to Kennel Cough or any upper respiratory bug, parvo, distemper, leukemia, a toxin, etc. is often not enough to create a problem.

Especially if your pets' immune systems are doing their jobs.

However, even a stressor like lack of sleep that may not ordinarily be a problem can become one.

When combined with others such as exposure to infectious agents.

Which brings me to a post-exposure strategy you can use.

The next time that you think your pet may be, or just was, exposed to kennel cough, play a game of fetch with him/her.

This really gets their healing Vitality (aka Prana) primed and ready to overcome the bug.

If fetch isn't feasible, then go for a vigorous walk.

The more panting the better.

This will help prevent potential problems from exposure to a bug followed by inactivity.

There are many more similar strategies that we discuss live during the Vitality and Balance Seminar.

In 2019 this will be over the May 4-5 weekend.

One of the topics we'll discuss then is acute homeopathy that you can use anytime.

Such as when you're at the dog park and your pup gets an injury, bug bite, or eats something s/he shouldn't.

Or if your kitty swells up from an allergic reaction to a food, or starts showing symptoms of a UTI.

Another personal example is when I was exposed to cholera on the island of Hispaniola (Haiti/Dominican Republic).

Haiti was having an outbreak of cholera when I went to a local Dominican resort to have lunch with a friend who works there.

My symptoms of chills, low energy, inappetance and profuse frequent diarrhea started the day before I was due to fly home.

I went to sleep pretty sure that I would not be going home the next day.

Fortunately I had made up a cup of one of the Awe-some As before bed.

Arsenicum album was indicated by my symptoms in addition to its history of saving many patients with cholera:

Ars and the 3 other Awe-some As will be the topic for our Monday 4/18/19 Empower Hour! webinar.

We can discuss the 4 valuable homeopathic "As" then and in this forum thread.

Just post your comments and questions below.
Monday, 4/18/19???

lizkunz

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you Dr. Christina and Dr. Jeff. I'm not terribly afraid of heartworm. I can't remember the last time I gave it. I don't live in a high heartworm area. I should have asked how many cases my conventional vet has had. Maybe they have since they work with rescues as well as animal control. I personally know of no cases of heartworm in all my years. Although every time I see a rescue story they many times have heartworm that needs to be cleared up before they can be adopted. Maybe I read too much.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes Dana!

Almost every Monday, 8pm EST

The classroom link is almost always the same, so save it somewhere secure.

It will be sent again on Sat am and Monday 12pm

Both emails usually have pointers back here (to the forum and interesting posts like this one).

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
I live close to Harrisburg, PA, and a friend of mine brought a dog back from Puerto Rico a month or so ago. She and her husband do a lot of rescue work in PR. The dog was given HWP in Puerto Rico and now has tested positive for heartworm. I've shared highlights of this thread with my friend, hope that's okay. Her in-laws, who also live in this area, adopted the dog.

A shelter I was involved with had three cases, all dogs that were taken in from other shelters, one of them BARCS, the other in rural PA. Both dogs from BARCS were heartworm positive. We worked quickly to get them into a more calm foster environment. The shelter I was with used preventives monthly. I've never used them.

Good discussion!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom