• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Horse eye injury

AngeleL

VIP Member
Registered
Hi, , we have a horse that injured his eye 1 week ago, bare with me we have no vet anywhere near as our vet retired so its a matter of 5 to 8 hours to the next. This said we have to try and manage as best as we can.
I know this is a very bad injury, we manage to keep the infection and pain hopefully under control up to yesterday bu t now the eye is slowly caving in and infection seems to have turned around and i feel like we are loosing control over it.
He is given arnica for the pain, being flushed with collodial silver. He also had ledum for a week. I have suggested to the owner to give him a shot of penecillin, but I wanted to see if anyone would have any other treatment we may try?

Keep in mind we have NO VET available so trying our best not to have to put him down because of an eye. We can deal with the loss of his eye, and only want him to get over this infection without having to consider driving 8 hours for a consult if we can get anyone to take us in.

I know it may be a case of having to remove the eye, and wondering if the caving in of his eye ball that started is a bad or good sign? We have a horse already that lost an eye but never had to remove it as we never had to deal with infection as much.

Thank you for any help out there wich would be very much appreciated.

1712931240938.png1712931348801.png

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
We will give you some suggestions.
You may also want to go to the article on finding a veterinarian. There ARE homeopathic and other holistic veterinarians who will consult remotely. For this horse or in the future - be great to have one on call! Cynthia Lankenau in NY may do herbal virtual consult.

How is the horse over all - energy, attitude, appetite, mobility, vision out of the other eye?
Any pain seen in this eye?

I would be flushing the eye with herbal (or low potency) calendula, hypericum, maybe goldenseal, comfrey. Even though for dogs and cats, I would have Greg tilford's Herbs for Pets in your library.
Dr. Christina

AngeleL

VIP Member
Registered
He is eating drinking normally, doesn't want to stay away from the herd. His mobility is all good and he is using the other eye very well. His attitude hasn''t changed, he lets us wipe his eye clean with a warm cloth but down't want us to touch the eye, as we could go on it and clean on the previous days so this is the only thing that changed and i am assuming it must hurt and that is why he won't let us touch it anymore other then wiping gently around it.
I'm in Canada, our province (Ontario) being one of the province that is the most affected with the shortage of vets, and finding a holisitc one at that is the biggest challenge, I have tried and thats is why |I rely so much on this group for help, and its sooooooo much appreciated thank you a thousand times for that opportunity to at least be reassured a little. :)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I know it may be a case of having to remove the eye, and wondering if the caving in of his eye ball that started is a bad or good sign?
Yes, the eye looks pretty bad. :(

But fortunately, his whole being which is reflected by the horse's BEAM otherwise sounds real good (remarkably so!).

And one eyed horses do fine!🐴😍

Yes, to frequent (every 1-2 hours when possible) flushing with the solution that Dr. Chrisstina advised.

Homeopathic Symphytum (like Arnica for the eye) may help it "heal" as best it can.

Definitely try to get a virtual appointment with a homeopath for the longer term care this horse will need.

BTW-Do you know how he injured it?

AngeleL

VIP Member
Registered
Yes, the eye looks pretty bad. :(

But fortunately, his whole being which is reflected by the horse's BEAM otherwise sounds real good (remarkably so!).

And one eyed horses do fine!🐴😍

Yes, to frequent (every 1-2 hours when possible) flushing with the solution that Dr. Chrisstina advised.

Homeopathic Symphytum (like Arnica for the eye) may help it "heal" as best it can.

Definitely try to get a virtual appointment with a homeopath for the longer term care this horse will need.

BTW-Do you know how he injured it?
as usual we have no clue of course, those horses end up in the worst possible places lol

and yes since his BEAM is really good, this tells us that its ok. Keeping up with the treatments of arnica and cleaning with collodial silver. We got a call in with a vet which suggest to give penicillin to prevent any underlying infection because we can't really see behing the eye for a few shots so hopefully everything keeps on track :)

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom