• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Hi, I need joint support for a dog with IBD/S who can't handle seafood.

BijouK

Registered
Do glucosamine or chondroitin have actual animal proteins in them?
Nitro is 7yrs old. Half Shepherd-Black Lab mix. He's a big guy maybe 5'0" on his hind legs. It's time to start building his joints but since he has 1/3 of his intestines removed and can't handle most animal proteins.

Any alternatives please?

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
It's doubtful that any aspect of the chondroitin and glucosamine would cause a reaction. I use a product that is straight hyaluronic acid, which is the same as Adequan, Trixsyn, etc. It's an oral, and tastes good. It's called JointFlex and comes from 100XEquine, in bottles up to a gallon, and is very reasonably priced in these nice big quantities. You definitely get bang for the buck, and it obviates any other supplements like the expensive prescriptions and vet formulas. You can add in others, but you won't need to. You might also wish to get him on some passive exercise - massage and stretching, including feeding from the floor - not a raised bowl. Is there any water therapy available close to you? This builds muscle without stress, on these big guys....

BijouK

Registered
If they have any animal proteins in them he can't have them

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Supplements like glucosamine and chondroitin do typically contain protein but not all are from shellfish. You might consider a good fish or green-lipped mussel oil; if made properly they contain no proteins. They are anti-inflammatory and proven helpful for arthritis in dogs. Adequan injections may be helpful. It comes from bovine cartilage, not seafood, but you'd have to talk with your vet about potential risk.

It's odd he can't tolerate animal proteins; plant proteins are typically less digestible. Can you give us some more information about that? Feeding raw or lightly cooked meat with added digestive enzymes should really overcome most digestive issues, but without knowing what part of his GI system was removed (and why!) we can't be sure.

BijouK

Registered
Ok thank you.

IBD/S is basically an allergy to animal proteins as vets have all told me. I've rehabilitated at least 5 dogs by simply finding a novel protein that they aren't allergic too and avoided all steroids. Since my dog can only handle lamb and kangaroo it was too costly and since I'm a vegan and belong to a vegan dog nutrition group I consulted with a vegan veterinarian on the west coast, who just plainly stated that plant based proteins shouldn't be any problem and it's not like trying to find a novel animal protein. Without the animal proteins to aggravate the IBS he should be fine and he is! Both my dogs have been vegan for a few years now and doing great.

Full disclosure Nitro had some urinary issues recently since we evacuated hurricane Ida and moved twice out of state and has had to get used to walks instead of a backyard but I believe it's probably an e. Coli issue from attempting to mate with my female who is much shorter. Otherwise his coat, weight and BEAM have been much better since going plant based.

So I will try to find the green lipped mussels oil without proteins. Thank you.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom