• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

From Luxation to Glaucoma… surgery or not to

TomoeH

Registered
  1. Your pet's name - Max
  2. Approximate age -12 (13 on May 1)
  3. Sex - male
  4. Neutering status - Neutered
  5. Breed- Boston Terrier
  6. Approximate weight -30lb
  7. What's their BEAM (behavior, energy, appetite, mood) - happy, ball loving, medium energy level, good appetite, he can play until we stop.
  8. Diet - raw food diet (beef, pork, fish, lamb, green tripes, vegetables and fruits) since puppy, with some suppliments, such as probiotics and Krill oils. But mainly he gets nutrients from food.
  9. Vaccination history / exposure to toxins, other medication only- rabies shot only after 6 mo puppy shots. No spray in our yard and no chemical cleaner in house (we’ve been living toxic free life since 12 yrs ago)
  10. Primary problem, when it began and if there was anything else happening around that time— Back in Dec, 2022, noticed his left eye getting cloudy but then cleared up a few days later. This on and off condition lasted about 2 weeks. When Max was clearly in pain with red eye and not able to open his eye, we took him to our vet(conventional), and originally diagnosed with Uveitis. At our follow up appointment 2 days later, another vet in the same office referred us to an ophthalmologist in nearby town because she saw his lens bouncing around. Went to the ophthalmologist on 1/26/23 and diagnosed with posterior luxation. the prognosis was glaucoma. During this whole time since the first occurrence, I was giving him homeopathic remedies (I’m not a homeopath. I love homeopathy and treating my family and Max with homeopathy since 4-5 years ago). He was doing great, but i decided to hire a classical homeopath (for human) and she had been helping me and Max until now. Then towards the end of February his eye condition changed and red and painful. I tried different remedies from the advice of our homeopath, but his eye was in pain. I applied DMSO, which made his eye look so much better. However, his eye never returned to how it was. Then about a week or so ago, I noticed that his eye is very big and suspected of glaucoma. A few days ago, I took him to our vet and they confirmed that he developed glaucoma. their recommendation is the removal of the left eyeball since glaucoma cannot be heal and only thing I can do is the pain management.
  11. Is the condition better or worse from exercise, heat, cold, time of day, certain foods, emotional upset, being touched, excitement, etc? - some days seem to be better than other, but because im afraid to make things worse by playing with him, I don’t play with him as much as we used to do( we only play 10-15 mi as opposed to 30-40 min).
  12. Has any diagnostic work been done? Diagnosis if available (you can attach your diagnostic tests to the post if you have them) - I was told that his left eye pressure was 66 while his right eye was normal range on 3/21/23 by our regular vet.
  13. Current and previous treatment - once he was diagnosed with luxation by the ophthalmologist, he was prescribed neomycin and latanoprost. However, I know the danger of the steroid and his eye looked normal, I didn’t use neomycin. I tried latanoprost one drop and he couldn’t open his eye all day, so I discontinued the use of it that day. Since then I’ve been using several homeopathic remedies for pain even though he doesn’t seem to be in pain or bothered by it. it is hard to see his eye enlarged and red even though he doesn’t seem to be in pain in my eyes. Conventional vets recommend eye removal surgery because Max is in pain even though he doesn’t act that way according to our vet. i felt the limitation working with the homeopath, but I would like to get a second opinion from holistic vet that the surgery is the best course of action for him. If it is, I would rather get it done sooner rather than later since surgery is a lot of burden to him and the recovery is better when he is younger.
  14. Other health concerns - He is due for another round of rabie shot in October. If his body is fighting to bring his body back to homeostasis with glaucoma, I’m concerned about getting him the shot. (We live in MA, so it is mandatory) so my thinking is that getting his eye removed and getting back to 100% health before October might be the best option for him… I’m really torn what to do and very little helpful holistic information is available online. So any input is appreciated.
Ive attached the picture of Max from last night. He is sleeping in the backyard in the sun right now where it’s his happy place. :)

C93DE99A-DD48-4874-9405-449D4EB15C1E.jpeg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Tomoe!

Welcome to HA! and I am super sorry to hear about Max's eye.

Has your homeopath already recommended Symphtum?

Regardless, I agree with you.

The fastest resolution of the eye issue is surgery. However, it's important to continue working on the underlying energetic imbalance that brought on the eye issues in the first place.

You may want to consider working with a trained and experienced vet homeopath.

Drs. Judy Herman, Adrianna Sagrera and Todd Cooney come immediately to mind. They all work virtually in addition to in person (Dr. Herman is not too far from you, in Maine).

TomoeH

Registered
Thank you, Dr. Jeff, for your reply!
I remembered she mentioned Symphytum once when we had a zoom meeting, but she never added it in her recommended remedies… I wouldn’t think of symphytum for his eye since his luxation wasn’t result of any accident… anyways I’ll try and see if it helps!

I totally agree with you on continuing working on the underlying imbalance! I believe that every parts of the body is connected and affecting one another whether it’s human or animals even though conventional vets say “oh, that’s idiopathic!” I think we will move forward with surgery option, our holistic health journey will continue!

Thank you so much.

tomoe

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
YW Tomoe!

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
About the rabies - You can delay getting it.
New guidance for pets exposed to rabies

2016 guidance in JAVMA advises that cats and dogs that are exposed to rabies and are overdue for a vaccine can have a booster shot followed by an observation period rather than be subject to quarantine or euthanasia.

Not every township follows this, but it super lowers the risk of being past the legal rabies requirement. do not use this as your deciding factor on when to do surgery.

I super agree with Dr. Jeff that you begin now with a vet homeopath. Depending on response, they will help you decide when to do surgery.
And help with post surgery issues.

You may be helped by downloading the Healthy Dog Journal to track ALL symptoms.

Since you love homeopathy, you may want to take the 2018 introduction to homeopathy 2 day class I taught, then the 2019 Intermediate course. Also, the Tutorial for Kent's Repertory (unless you are facile at finding rubrics) is awesome.

And your mental state super affects Max, and can actually heal. Search and check out webinars by Dr. Bernie Siegel, Bengston, on Eden Energy medicine (this coming Monday), tong Ren, Tui Na, Reiki and many more.

Welcome to Holistic Actions.
Dr. Christina

Also

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Welcome and hi!

Rabies... Depends on state law, sometimes you can get a medical exemption for rabies. We wrote that into the Colorado statute. Maybe they will accept a titer in the meantime?

Glaucoma is extremely painful. Agree eye is never going to be functional and easiest and kindest thing is get rid of it. I have done many enucleations and they have all done great.

Hope he has another sunny day to enjoy tomorrow! Too cold here to think about that!

Cheers!
Dr. Jean

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom