• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Freeze dried hearts for dogs

ChristineCu

Community Member
Registered
@Dr. Jeff
I am not sure if this is the correct place to post a new thread. My dog is a 3 year old female GSP. Her name is Penelope. She's a rescue, we've had her for 14 months. I spoke with Dr Jeff on a call. She's having a full hip implant on April 25. We discussed her diet. I just wanted to know the brand of freeze dried hearts you recommended, I wasn't able to access it. Also, do you have any other ideas to combat boredom during her 3 month recovery?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Christine!

Small Batch food and freeze-dried hearts are the ones I mentioned.

However, if you can't find the brand in your local pet store, any humane, "clean" and well-sourced brand will work.

Frequent snuffling (decrease his meals to make up for the extra snuffle mat treats) is best for boredom. Nina Ottoson toys, other games that he can play by himself are great.

ChristineCu

Community Member
Registered
@Dr. Jeff Thanks, @Dr. Jeff for your input! We also talked about Arnica - you told me to ask my holistic vet Dr. Sherry Siebel but she said she is not familiar with it for hip implant surgery. Can you give me some advice on how to use it?

ChristineCu

Community Member
Registered
Hey Christine!

Small Batch food and freeze-dried hearts are the ones I mentioned.

However, if you can't find the brand in your local pet store, any humane, "clean" and well-sourced brand will work.

Frequent snuffling (decrease his meals to make up for the extra snuffle mat treats) is best for boredom. Nina Ottoson toys, other games that he can play by himself are great.

@Dr. Jeff , @Dr. Christina , My dog is having a hip implant on April 25, I was wondering how to use Arnica to help her with the pain.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
I will jump in, just because you need an answer right now:) Buy Arnica 1M, or as high a potency you can find. Give one pill the morning of, then one right after, as soon as you can get access to her. Then repeat a dose perhaps the next day, and after that if you see the need. It won't hurt, and it WILL help, majorly. Tuck the pill in her mouth - or preferably dissolve it in a bit of water and put it in her mouth on her gums. Any way you can get it in will be helpful. It should obviate any need for conventional drugs, which will all depress her metabolism and slow the healing response.

ChristineCu

Community Member
Registered
I will jump in, just because you need an answer right now:) Buy Arnica 1M, or as high a potency you can find. Give one pill the morning of, then one right after, as soon as you can get access to her. Then repeat a dose perhaps the next day, and after that if you see the need. It won't hurt, and it WILL help, majorly. Tuck the pill in her mouth - or preferably dissolve it in a bit of water and put it in her mouth on her gums. Any way you can get it in will be helpful. It should obviate any need for conventional drugs, which will all depress her metabolism and slow the healing response.
@GinnyW Thank you so much for your quick response!!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, you can start dosing the next day.

No the meds won't interfere (or vice a versa).

Perhaps you can even make up a cup of Arnica 1M or 10M and bring a bit of it to the vet and ask the vet tech or vet to rub some on her gums right after surgery (Arnica has been shown in people to speed recovery and healing after orthopedic surgery).

Keep the cup you make and succuss and redose using a Q-tip dipped in the solution and touched to her gums whenever she seems uncomfortable, restless, has low BEAM, etc.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom