• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Dog keeps sneezing

RandyC

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi everyone!

This morning during our walk, our dog ChewChew, after sniffing some plants/bushes/flowers in someone's front yard, started sneezing. He kept sneezing (hard, head-shaking kind of sneeze) for the remainder of the walk. It was A LOT of sneezing. The sneezing got better when we got home. But when I gave him his morning meal, he sneezed again several times midway through eating. He's now napping.

We are guessing something got into his nose. We tried to look into his nostrils with a flashlight but we didn't/couldn't see anything. We are not sure what we should/could do. Do we observe and see if he can sneeze out whatever is bothering him?

Would love to hear your thoughts/inputs.

Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Randy-

Yes, this sounds like something irritated his nose. It may not even still be there.

The only good options I can think of are waiting and watching or flushing gently with saline.

How's ChewChew's BEAM?

@Dr. Sara, any other ideas?

RandyC

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you for your reply, @Dr. Jeff !

His BEAM appears to be good. He woke up from his nap, sneezed a couple of times, then proceeded to clean his paws. I gave him his 2nd meal. He finished it then sneezed several times. It seems like eating triggers the sneezing as well. Could it be the powered form supplements I sprinkle on top of his food?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome.

It could be from the powder but my guess would be that it's probably not from that.

Let's see how he is (BEAM and sneezing wise) over the next few days as his body does its' job (of regaining inner balance).

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Dear Randy,
It is best to add a little water and mix any dried supplements into the food. Dogs have their nose right on top of the food while eating, and we don't want the supplements to aerosolise into their nose.

If you suspect your pup has gotten a nose full of pollen or another irritant, it is a good idea to humidify the airways. A simple way to do this is with a warm air vaporizer. Many dogs will hang out beside a vaporizer under a sheet (as a makeshift vaporizing tent)- especially if you are with them.

Some dogs will tolerate simple eye wetting drops or saline dripped into their nose. This is another way to humidify the airways. Most dogs sneeze pretty vigorously after liquid is dripped in the nose, and others act like you are trying to drown them, so be responsive to your dog's reaction and stay safe.

After spending time outdoors, wipe all dogs, and especially potentially allergic pups, with a damp cloth. This helps remove pollens and molds as well as any lawn chemicals. Many of these allergens are absorbed through the skin, and they will ingest others in the process of grooming themselves.
Take care,
Dr. Sara

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom