• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Curcumin and warming issues

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I am confused about this business about warming and cooling foods and supplements for dogs. So for the longest time my holistic vet has said that Curcumin is "warming" and I was not giving it to my JJ with spondylosis and sarcoma now. I believe in the benefits of Curcumin and started to give it to him again, 1500 mg per day, I ramped up the dose because of his spondylosis (for pain) and for the sarcoma he has as of the last month, to hopefully reduce the size. 1. If it is a warming herb and he tends to get hot, I still need to give it to him for the properties I mentioned, IMO... Am I wrong? All the vet said was that it is warming. But there has to be something for his pain and sarcoma to give him even if it is warming. I believe the curcumin I have been giving my dogs for years have been the reason their prior issues were benign and non cancerous. So to not give a dog a powerful herb because it is warming seems ridiculous. For his spondylosis she gave him LiquidAmber from Seven FOrests but for some reason he kept spitting that out and not sure if it helped. At this point I honestly do not even know what helps. Thanks!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Lil-

The energetic quality of a food or supplement is not necessarily related to the physical effect.

The latter is related to the pharmacology and physiology of the supplement/food but the former may not be.

Perhaps continue using the curcumin if it is helping him (clinically), and decrease the amount you give on any particular day if JJ seems overly hot that day, e.g. if the humidity or temperature is making him pant or to be restless.

@Dr. Sara and @Dr. Sue may have more (or different) info about this fascinating topic since they are both experts in it.

EdwinA

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Lil.

According to Ayurveda, which I think has the most to say about turmeric, I believe that it is considered neither cooling nor warming, but in fact effective at balancing the contrasting energies of the body. I think it’s good for kindling “digestive fire” but that isn’t actually warmth - it’s more like vital force. I think that excessive turmeric in its raw form can have a slightly warming effect.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
According to Ayurveda, which I think has the most to say about turmeric, I believe that it is considered neither cooling nor warming, but in fact effective at balancing the contrasting energies of the body. I think it’s good for kindling “digestive fire” but that isn’t actually warmth - it’s more like vital force. I think that excessive turmeric in its raw form can have a slightly warming effect.

Fantastic point Edwin! The effect which any substance has on an individual depends on susceptibility, genetics, etc.

As always, it depends on the context (which is the answer to 99.9% of medical questions).

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom